Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#133764 10/11/04 10:26 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Now jheem, read what you wrote...

See! What you said had no relationship to the point of my post, now did it? Now please try again and see if you can answer my little query. First please allow me to restate the question...

(a) Most Americans do not want their government legislating their use of words.

So why do..

(b) We Americans continue to pay taxes to a tiny "effete corps of intellectual snobs" who haphazardly spend our hard earned dollars on their personal choices in public displays of what they decide is universal Art.

Got an answer?

#133765 10/11/04 10:35 PM
G
addict
addict
G
re Who would you choose: "the one who graciously rectified a problem or one who tried to make herself out to be the victim of some horrible injustice?"

Personally, I would choose the best available artist with the best design.

But I would require her to submit a detailed illustration of her work for approval in advance [which is standard business procedure in such matters] and I would monitor the progress of the work and conduct a final inspection before making the final payment [also standard business procedure in such matters].

Seems everyone is overlooking the people holding the purse who left Maria holding the bag for their own oversights.

This is the same excuse used by the CEO of Enron. "I was too busy running the company."

The jury didn't buy it. Neither should you.

#133766 10/11/04 10:47 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Let's see. First you wrote:

All members of this board fully agree that our government should not decree by law the spelling of the words we use

And then you rewrote:

(a) Most Americans do not want their government legislating their use of words.

Yeah, I agree. So?

Next you wrote:

yet conversely, we meekly agree to let pseudo-intellectual governmental bureaucracies declare to us that which is Art.

Before emending it to:

(b) We Americans continue to pay taxes to a tiny "effete corps of intellectual snobs" who haphazardly spend our hard earned dollars on their personal choices in public displays of what they decide is universal Art.

A language academy would tell us what consitutes the English language. The NEA, (I think you mean that with your tiny "effete corps of intellectual snobs"), gives money to artists based on their works. They do not legislate what art is. Nor does Congress. If the US government wanted to start a language academy that sponsored poets and other writers, I'd be all for it. What's the problem? In the end it's up to me and the rest of my fellow citizens to decide whether we like the works, but that doesn't mean I would want to stop funding artists. They're quite cheap compared to other things that my woney gets squandered on. And I get a lot more bang for my buck. (For the record, I own property, work for aliving, and pay taxes.) If you don't like it why not get the expletive out of Dodge? Move to Albania or Liberia.

#133767 10/11/04 10:49 PM
G
addict
addict
G
"It is proper for her to feel a bit of embarassment over this"

I agree AlexWm, it is proper for Maria to feel a bit of embarassment over this, but the people who should bear the primary responsibility for this are too busy dumping on Maria to accept any blame for themselves.

It is always easier to blame someone on the outside than to blame ourselves, or our own.

I accept that Maria bears "a bit" of responsibilty for what happened, but she doesn't deserve to be the 'whipping boy' for the Livermore library's incompetence.

#133768 10/11/04 11:09 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
jheem: ...If you don't like it why not get the expletive out of Dodge? Move to Albania or Liberia.

No jheem, I will not get the expletive out of Dodge, I will simply make mental note that you are a very very serious person. Good Luck.

#133769 10/11/04 11:16 PM
G
addict
addict
G
If you don't like it why not get the expletive out of Dodge? Move to Albania or Liberia.

This sounds uncharacteristically strident of you, jheem.

You and I may disagree with themilum, even passionately, but there is no reason to take anything themilum wrote personally.

Or am I missing something here?

To be perfectly frank, I'm glad themilum has found a new soundboard for her exotic opinions. But I don't want themilum to wear her new soundboard out too soon.

#133770 10/11/04 11:24 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
themilum is maleum.

#133771 10/11/04 11:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this artist (I haven't bothered to remember her name) could have saved herself a bit of embarrassment and the taxpayers a bit of money by just taking a bit of time to look up Einstein and others. (Shakespeare may not have cared a fig as there were various spellings floated during Elizabethan times, but that's debatable -- I think someone alluded to this above with a couple of variant spellings.)
http://shakespeareauthorship.com/name1.html

#133772 10/11/04 11:42 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
This sounds uncharacteristically strident of you, jheem.

Oh, but, grapho, I'm sure that themilum knew I was just joking. Surely?

#133773 10/11/04 11:49 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
No jheem, I will not get the expletive out of Dodge

Oh, dear me. I was sure that you, themilum, would take my little joke in stride, but it seems you're not a humorous person. You may joke, but nobody else is allowed to. That is you may dish it out, but you cannot take it. How unyielding. Oh, my.

Please accept my abject apologies. I wouldn't want to capsize our fun little boat and drown.

(Note, I'm less serious than you make me out to be. But, so be it. Adieu.)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith