Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
The other day while trying to combat PC-withdrawal sypmtons by watching Australia's home shopping channel, TVSN. I heard a presenter pronounce "jewellery" as "jurry". The lady in question seemed to have a hybrid Oz/US accent, but nothing prepared me for that abomination! I'm used to hearing "joolry" but wondered if anybody had ever heard "jurry" before. I ask at least partly because it's 22:25 here, and still 20 degrees Celsius, which makes sleeping difficult. Adieu.

B
addict
addict
B
Max, I've heard what I would phoneticise as 'jewry'. Given your weird and wonderful Zild (whaddya mean no diphthong in rain?!?), this may be the same thing.

As for the jury, on the evidence so far it rules that your jewellery is quite clearly hot and you have no legal right to it. Please submit it to me for safekeeping until the rightful owner can be ascertained!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> As for the jury, on the evidence so far it rules that your jewellery is quite clearly hot and you have no legal right to it. Please submit it to me for safekeeping until the rightful owner can be ascertained!

Drat. You beat me to it. I was going to brooch the subject of a lis pendant and then run rings around it. In fact, there was supposed to be a court earring on it but the judge got torqued off and crowned the lawyer. I saw him wampum on the head, screaming about the chain of evidence (or was it the evidence of chain?) Oh goodness. It's enough to send Scarlett back to Tiara.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, man, you-all are great!
I do have a question for you, Max--well, everybody, really:
How is the word jewellery pronounced (correctly) where you live? Sometimes I hear three syllables--jew-el-ry--and occasionally, four--jew-el-er-ee.

I found your post fascinating: I'd thought "jew-ry" was confined to rural SE U.S.! Joo-ler-ee really gets on my nerves. Ugh.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In my haste to create atrocious puns, I almost missed something in your seminal post. In England do you have the word "jewellery?" Here in the US we would write jewelry. And most of the people I know would pronounce it JOO el ree with the middle syllable almost swallowed, for lack of a better term. It would be considered non-standard to say JOO le ree or JOOlree, though I have heard both.

TEd
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Can you even clearly distinguish these possible pronunciations? I can't decide precisely which of these four I say:

(1) jool, single syllable, pure long vowel
(2) joo-al, two syllables, neutral vowel in second
(3) joo-ll, two syllables, second being syllabic consonant
(4) jua-l, single syllable, diphthong

I probably say jua-l, going towards jool in quick speech. When adding syllables the neutral vowel is further reduced to zero: jool-a-ri; but there is also the possibility of reducing the added -ar to zero vowel, thus jua-lri, which I might be inclined to say if I was being more careful. I think the underlying pronunciation is ju-al-ar-i with two neutral vowels, one of which has to go.

The non-US spelling is jewellery.

Actually in the popular speech round here, r becomes w as does postvocalic l, so it would be ju-w-wi.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,364
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 844 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith