Next Thread
Print Thread
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Received this from a lawyer friend. Thought it might interest y'all. Read and make a copy for your files, in case you need to refer to it some day.

An attorney sent the following out to the employees in his office:

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a P.O. Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. Now you know what is in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. Carry a photocopy of your passport when you travel either here or abroad. There are many horror stories about fraud that's committed on us by stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.

(Note : in my stste you can request that your SS be left off your license. Check your state)

Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information on-line, and more!

Here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. If you are told you should cancel our credit cards immediately the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them. Never give your acct. information over the phone to someone that has called you, tell them you will call them back and use the toll free # on the credit card not the one they give you!

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one). Highly recommended and it pays off!

Here's what is most important:

3. Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until my bank said that an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert informs any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

Many are advised to do this usually two weeks or so after the theft, by then all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

Caution:verify these numbers before calling
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes on the internet; we pass along just about everything. Pass this information along if you wish,it could really help someone you care about!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, wow; I hope this was the lawyer and not you:
Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information on-line, and more!

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Not me, thank heaven!
I disagree with the advice on using initials, though.
A.B. Cee could be a man or woman whereas Alice B. Cee is a woman and cuts out men from pretense.
I was surprised when I lloked at my driver's license and saw my SS number! Went right up to Registry of Motor Vehicles and paid the fee to have new license issued without the SS on it. Same fee as if I'd lost the license. $10. Cheap at twice the price when you consider the ramifications!
A gal I know ran into Identity theft and it took her three years to straighten it all out! Everyone from local stores to the Social Security Administration was affected. It happened when Identity Theft was "new" and she had to pioneer the remedies!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith