Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#131767 08/19/04 12:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
One of AWAD's sponsors is the Idea Festival to be held Sept 21-25 mostly in Lexington, KY but with some events as well in nearby Looahvl. It self-proclaims as "a truly unique event," with quotation marks and everthang.

http://ideafestival.com/IF_HOME.cfm

#131768 08/19/04 03:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, that is really cool! Thank you, Anna, for posting about it! Quite a line-up, they have. I'm sending the link to all my friends here. Wow--I imagine that anyone attending all or even most of the sessions would come out of there with their mind just fizzing with new thoughts.

One of the speakers is a "slam poet"...what the heck is that?

I thought this one was really neat:
MYSTICRHYTHMS...the Soka Gakkai International (SGI-USA) has a strong commitment to the realization of world peace through individual happiness. The goal of a group of diverse women who belong to SGI is to form bridges into communities to share our passion for cultivating dialogues of understanding, promote tolerance, and a sharing of cultures. As a drumming group they share mystical African beats of life with the audience and invite their involvement.
Pipe dream, but right up my alley.

Hey, ALEX--take a look!

Edit: missed this the first time through:
In the Alphabet Versus the Goddess Shlain explores the historical shift away from goddess worship and the overall political and economic subjugation of women and feminine values.His findings and insights which directly relate to many of the questions raised in the novel The Da Vinci Code...

#131769 08/19/04 05:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Momma, momma, I finally got a job teaching people how to play the slots in Vegas. Yup, New (W)agerers.

I'm sorry, every time I see these things with all the highfalutin' language that returns a null content semantically I get really cynical.

"and her own great adventure is the exploration of inner space through the movement, healing and transformative arts"

What the HELL are the transformative arts?

"Inclusive Learning Construct allows multiple opportunities for the sharing of expression, the making of meaning, and transformational learning"

The making of meaning? Transformational learning? Bah humbug. These things just make my eyes glaze.

"The Museum will revisit Art Nouveau in the context of the exquisite beauty of the works and explore how the artists of the period accessed their subconscius and how the unconscious mind manifested itself in the works of art."

I would be unconscious after about two minutes of listening to this sort of drivel. Or at least wish I was unconscious. Why why why do we persist in trying to get into the "subconscious mind" of artists to try and figure out what they really meant? Enjoy the f**king art for its own sake and quit with the second-guessing.

I will admit though that some of the things seem very worthwhile and interesting. The closer the subject gets to the tangible world the better I can appreciate it. I guess you have to take in what interests you.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#131771 08/19/04 06:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sorry, every time I see these things with all the highfalutin' language that returns a null content semantically I get really cynical.

What'dya expect from "a truly unique event"?? I do like the Goddess-to-Alphabet guy, though, and want to read his book.

#131772 08/19/04 07:36 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well not all the events appear to be to my tastes, but since it's in my hometown and I am a huge Beatles fan I will definitely be attending the George Martin talk, and also the Oliver Sacks talk. If anybody comes to Lexington for this maybe we can have drinks or something.

"Inclusive Learning Construct allows multiple opportunities for the sharing of expression, the making of meaning, and transformational learning" The making of meaning? Transformational learning? Bah humbug. These things just make my eyes glaze.

I agree. It's especially tiresome when someone completely misses the appeal of some work of art (music or sculpture for example) and blathers on and on about what it symbolizes, as if all great art is basically an essay encoded into some other medium.

#131773 08/19/04 10:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:MYSTICRHYTHMS...the Soka Gakkai International (SGI-USA) has a strong commitment to the realization of world peace through individual happiness. The goal of a group of diverse women who belong to SGI is to form bridges into communities to share our passion for cultivating dialogues of understanding, promote tolerance, and a sharing of cultures. As a drumming group they share mystical African beats of life with the audience and invite their involvement. Pipe dream, but right up my alley.

the Soka Gakkai are the 'born again christian' sect of buddist. you don't have really learn all about buddism, you can learn about current day Soka Gakkai leaders.. all you have to do is chant, Nom Yom coe, wren gey coe(or something that sound like that.... and that's is (just as born again christians (well many sects) don't really preach jesus's message, (repent and sin no more, as well as love thy neighbor,) they just preach 'believe in jesus is christ" (and act any old way you want) and you are saved..and 'justify' killing doctors at women's health clinics, (cause the doctors are murderers..) they also steal, cheat and lie, *but they are saved, cause they believe in jesus!)

there is plenty on the soka gakkai movement on the internet, or watch a bit of "what's love got to do with it" (tina turner movie autobio) she's a soka gakkai buddist.
they are very active in getting converts to soka gakkai buddism.

i have had a few up close encounters with soka gakkai buddist... and well i think they rate right up there with amway salepeople.. but i could be wrong.

#131774 08/20/04 01:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'born again christian' sect of buddist Ruh roh; thanks. If I go, I'll be on my guard. I have an intense dislike of "in your face" anything.

And thanks for the slam poetry link, Father Steve.

#131775 08/20/04 06:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, ASP. I had no idea that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter was "...a leading advisor, terrorism expert and defense consultant to Congress and the Pentagon...". The last time I saw him was at the opening of Dan Akroyd's "The House of Blues" in Marina City, Chicago. Maybe I'll take some time for event...

#131776 08/23/04 12:15 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Yes, the Skunk's work has always been shrouded in secrecy.
/terrible aviation pun shrouded even

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 799 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith