unless you want to go post it yourself.

Go right ahead, dear sir. Post on.

#131239 08/13/04 10:16 AM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Post on

OK, but I'll need to know the elements. I think I've got pretty much everything but the -ri- part.

#131240 08/13/04 12:39 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
The suffix <i>tria</i> was one of the original ones I posted. I made a mistake as it seems to be feminine (unless all the terrorists are women).

There's a verb <i>deimatoo:</i> and a couple of compounds <i>deima:to:de:s</i> 'terrible, frightful' and <i>deima:to:sis</i> 'scaring'.

I guess <i>deimatotrophobia</i>, using <i>tro</i> instead of <i>tria</i> for the nomen agentis suffix.

Sorry about that ...

#131241 08/13/04 08:32 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
deimatotriaphobia ... I like it. It's got it all over terroristphobia.

This sounds like another variation on "What's a word?"

How can a word which no-one without an education in greek can begin to understand, let alone pronounce, have it "all over" a word which is simple, straight forward and self-explanatory and, which, to top it all off, also includes the word "phobia" for those craving a conspicuous greek root?

deimatotriaphobia. It is a miscreant which should be put out of its suffering. Only a greek mother tongue could love such a contortion, and I have it on good authority that Faldage has Irish, Scot and German forebears but nary a trace of greek to account for this perversity.

J
veteran
veteran
J
How can a word

And how does a poem mean? I wouldn't want anybody to get bent outta shape over my twee faux word nor its cousin terroristphobia.

But which would you prefer? Thiefdom or kleptocracy? Schizophrenia, dementia præcox, or splitmindedness? Renovation or againnewing?

Wortbildung oder Morphologie? Fernsprecher oder Telefon?

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
How does a poem mean?

Now there is a question worthy of the passions squandered over the entrails of "What's a word?"

My ridicule was not directed at you, dear jheem, who originated the word "dietormentaphobia" [or whatever it is], but rather at anyone who would prefer that unfortunate invention over a word like "terroristphobia" which exhibits no flaw other its flawless clarity and accessibility to ordinary readers.

#131244 08/13/04 10:10 PM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
OK, deimatatrophobia it is.

#131245 08/13/04 10:23 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
OK, deimatatrophobia it is.

It is if you say it is, but is it a "word" just because you say it is?

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
But which would you prefer? Thiefdom or kleptocracy? Schizophrenia, dementia pręcox, or splitmindedness? Renovation or againnewing?

Since you asked, I prefer "schizophrenia" {which is pronounced with 3 beats), "dementia praecox" (pronounced with two) and "renovation" (pronounced with 3), but I abjure "deimatotriaphobia" which is almost unpronounceable, at least in english, with 6 beats because it is absurdly pretentious, especially considering there is a simple, serviceable and self-explanatory alternative readily available, namely, "terroristphobia", and, further, because the psychological condition we are describing with this word is not a mental disorder befitting a medical appellation, but a nearly-universal and, therefore, perfectly normal state of mind prevalent throughout most of North America, especially the United States.

J
veteran
veteran
J
there is a simple, serviceable and self-explanatory alternative readily available, namely, "terroristphobia"

I count 8 syllables in deimatotriaphobia (well 9 in the South) which isn't the final pretendo-word I've settled on: deimatotrophobia which weighs in at 7. Trouble with terroristphobia is that it's a weenie word rather than a pretendo-word. Weenie words are coined by beat poets who can't tell the diff tween beats and syllables. Finally, terroristphobia is not even pronounceable as a word, whereas deimatotrophobia is elegant.

The thing about phobias is they're supposed to be learned and pretendo in extremis. Not some slapshod, plebian pseudo-twaddle. Next you'll be suggesting mongrel abortions such as epicaricacy instead of epichaerikakia or some such.

The weird thing about this thread is not denying a pretendo-word its meaninghood, but saying that a perfectly meaningful and utile word like fuller or emptier is not a word. What gives? In what country? Whatchamacallistan? My freedom glass is empty, but your bolshie one is even emptier.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith