Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131047 07/31/04 02:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here's an intriguing article with lots of juicy linguistic and etymological tidbits pertaining to this phenomenon:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/07/30/blue.moon/index.html

>The phrase "Once in a blue moon" was first noted in 1824 and refers to occurrences that are uncommon, perhaps even rare. Yet, to have two full Moons in the same month is not as uncommon as one might think. In fact, it occurs, on average, about every 32 months. And in the year 1999 it actually occurred twice in three months.

For the longest time no one seemed to have a clue as to where the "Blue Moon Rule" originated. I myself once suggested that the rule might have evolved out of the fact that the word "belewe" came from the Old English, meaning, "to betray." Perhaps, I suggested, the second full Moon is 'belewe' because it betrays the usual perception of one full moon per month.

It was not until the year 1999 that the origin of the calendrical term "Blue Moon" was at long last discovered. It was during the time frame from 1932 through 1957 that the Maine Farmers' Almanac suggested that if one of the four seasons (winter, spring, summer or fall) contained four full moons instead of the usual three, the third should be called a "Blue Moon."<

#131048 08/02/04 12:20 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
The pink moon is gonna get you all.
http://nineplanets.org/psc/fullmoons.html

Interesting article on blue moon etymology. dip de dip de dip de dip bomp
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/article_127_1.asp

#131049 08/09/04 08:53 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
The skyandtelescope article says that each full moon "is named for an activity appropriate to the time of year" Harvest makes sense as does snow but what activity do you suppose "pink" is?

#131050 08/10/04 12:52 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I don't know but my favorite lunar phenomenon is during a lunar eclipse, when the full moon turns blood red because the only light striking it is that which has passed through the earth's atmosphere.

"Pink Moon," by the way, is the incredibly beautiful album by the late English folksinger Nick Drake. I first heard the title song in a Volkswagen commercial some time ago. The whole album is really something. As a guitar player I just love it.

#131051 08/10/04 10:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Full PINK Moon, this year: Monday, April 5th at 4:03 AM
Comes from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of earliest widespread wildflowers of spring. Thus, April has the PINK MOON.

#131052 08/10/04 11:52 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I could have sworn I mentioned Nick Drake on this thread. Anyway, yes, after the VW commercial I too went out and bought Pink Moon. Perfect for quiet evening drives...in April! Thanks for the info, AW.

#131053 08/10/04 12:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've carried around a slip of paper with moon names on it for years, perhaps because I'm a Moonchild astrologically. I don't put much stock in that sort of thing, but I do like our lovely lunar light in all its hues. I got this particular list at http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Portland/climate/sunmoon.html

January: Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, January Full moon is the WOLF Moon.

February: Since the heaviest winter snowfalls occur in February, native tribes of the north and east called the February Full moon the FULL SNOW Moon. Some tribes also refer to the February Full Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, as the harsh conditions, made hunting very difficult.

March: As temperatures warm and the ground thaws, earthworm castings appear, heralding the return of robins. Thus, March has the WORM MOON.

April: Comes from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of earliest widespread wildflowers of spring. Thus, April has the PINK MOON. Some coastal tribes call the April Full moon the Full Fish Moon, as it is the time the shad swam upstream to spawn

May: In most areas, flowers are abundant during this time. Thus, May has the
FLOWER MOON. Other names: Corn Planting or Milk Moon.
June: Universally know to every Algonquin tribe as the STRAWBERRY MOON. In Europe, this is the ROSE MOON.

July: Full Moon is the BUCK MOON since July is the when new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. July's 2nd Full Moon (a blue moon) this year is the Sturgeon MOON since sturgeon were most readily caught in late July/early August.

August: The Full FRUIT or BARLEY MOON was reserved for August full moon for those years when the Harvest Moon falls very late in September.

September: FULL HARVEST MOON is the full moon closest to equinox. In Harvest season, farmers can work late into the night under the moonlight. At this moon, corn, pumpkins, squash, beans and wild rice (chief Indian staples) are now ready for gathering.

October: FULL Hunter's MOON, leaves fallen and deer are fat. Fields are reaped so hunters can easily see fox and other animals which come to glean.

November: FULL BEAVER MOON. This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Also, BEAVER MOON: the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. BEAVER MOON also called FROSTY MOON.

December: FULL COLD MOON or, FULL LONG NIGHTS MOON. Winter cold fastens its grip and the nights are the longest and darkest.

I'll have to check out that Nick Drake music, 'sounds nice.

#131054 08/10/04 03:11 PM
old hand
old hand
I know a few people who worship the BARLEY MOON. Heh heh.

#131055 08/10/04 05:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FULL BEAVER MOON.

They're coming to take me away. NO, TEd, don;t go there. Yes, that's a good lad.

TEd
#131056 08/10/04 06:57 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
*physically restraining self*

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith