Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12599 12/13/00 05:19 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Apparently languages differ in the number of basic colour words they have (basic ones being those with a simple name rather than a compound one (blue rather than sky blue or greenish blue) and reasonably common (no cerise)). It seems that if you know how many of these basic colour words a language has it's possible to make a pretty good guess which ones are in and which ones aren't.

The list (from David Crystal's Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language) goes:

* black and white
* red
* green yellow
* blue
* brown
* purple pink orange grey

So a language that has a word lower down the list (brown for example) will have all the words higher up the list, but may or may not have the words lower down the list. Where there's more than one word in a slot the order in which they're added is random. A language with four words, for example, may have black, white, red, green or black, white, red, yellow.

Bingley

Bingley
#12600 12/13/00 09:16 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

barefoot boy with cheeks of tan

Harking back to another recent thread which was explored ad absurdum, there is a famous shaggy dog story involving a Chinese lumber merchant and a pet bear with no hair on its feet. It ends, "Ho there, boyfoot bear with teaks of Chan!" (humbly begging pardon for that

#12601 12/13/00 10:51 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
* black and white
* red
* green yellow
* blue
* brown

Does this mean that English is extremely sophistocated with maroon, indigo, teal, crimson, scarlet, beige and navy being common words?

#12602 12/14/00 12:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jazz asked: Does this mean that English is extremely sophistocated with maroon, indigo, teal, crimson, scarlet, beige and navy being common words?

Possibly, using Bingley's definition. More likely, however, is the packrat mentality of English speakers. Never have one word for something when 50 will do.

Having so many words for colours may appear sophisticated, but everyone, and I mean everyone has a markedly different mental rendering of each named colour. It's plain inefficient. It's also what gives the language its charm ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12603 12/14/00 05:05 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

* black and white
* red
* green yellow
* blue
* brown

Does this mean that English is extremely sophistocated with maroon, indigo, teal, crimson, scarlet, beige and navy being common words?

Not really. We're only talking about basic colours. Crimson and scarlet are types of red so they don't count. Similarly navy is a type of blue and beige is a type of brown. As for maroon, indigo, and teal, have you ever tried to get a group of people, never mind AWADers, to agree on what colours these words actually refer to? The basic colours may have fuzzy boundaries, but everyone who isn't actually colour blind agrees on the central colour covered by each term.

Bingley

Bingley
#12604 12/14/00 06:35 AM
B
addict
addict
B
I saw a fabulous exhibit once which was basically a rectangle of gradate colour. One end of the rainbow to the other from left to right, darkest of dark to palest of pale up and down. So far, not too exciting, but on top of this colour scale were drawn boundaries, which looked totally arbitrary to an English speaker, but actually mapped the colour range covered by specific words in another language. (I think the other language was something Polynesian, but my memory has gone...)
The fascinating part was staring at a polygon ranging from pale green to deep orange (or wahtever) and trying to 'see' the simliarity in these colours that made the Polynesians see them all as variations of the same thing.
Words really do affect how people see the world.

#12605 12/14/00 10:46 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
packrat mentality...plain inefficient

I can't agree with many of your comments here, Cap. I think the proliferation of different terms in English represents nothing more nor less than the rich cultural history of an island race that has always looked outwards - whether defensively or as trade-inspired travel.

#12606 12/14/00 11:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav said: I can't agree with many of your comments here, Cap. I think the proliferation of different terms in English represents nothing more nor less than the rich cultural history of an island race that has always looked outwards - whether defensively or as trade-inspired travel.

True. But we don't unload linguistic leftovers, we simply add them to the pile on the side of the plate. How many other languages have so many words for the same thing - albeit with slight differences in meaning or usage in context? I stand by my statement and I believe I can do that without contradicting yours!

I wasn't commenting on whether this was good or bad. It is inefficient, as I said. From a technical, linguistic viewpoint. I wasn't commenting on the cultural background or beauty or otherwise of the language. It is and has all of those things. But it is inefficient!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12607 12/14/00 02:07 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
inefficient

Still disagree. It is not inherently inefficient to have seven different words, if they convey seven shades of meaning. You could more accurately argue that more impoverished langauges like say French, which might only drum up three correlative words, is the technically inefficient langauge, having to compromise accuracy in favour of a smaller vocabulary.

#12608 12/14/00 02:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if we had (say) only eight (words for) colors, what do you suppose the Big Box of (64?) Crayolas would look like?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith