Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12495 12/09/00 11:34 AM
P
paulb Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
An item in today's Melbourne Age reports on a new 400-page Antarctic dictionary and provides some examples:

moop = man out of phase [disoriented]
the big pav = Antarctica
aaaa = a sledge dog command
zucchini = an extended prefabricated hut
big eye = insomnia that goes with being a moop
greenout = an overwhelming sensation induced by seeing and smelling trees and other plants after returning from Antarctica
Kodak poisoning = an affliction visited on a subject of frenzied photography
snotsicle [self-explanatory]

#12496 12/09/00 01:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
pav=pavement?

And, paulb, I rather thought you were permanently mooped!

snotsicle--ohmigawd. Still, I'd like to go for a short visit.

#12497 12/09/00 06:26 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
pav=pavement?

No, pav=pavlova a meringue dessert claimed by both Australians and NZers to have been created first in their countries of origin. This ferocious argument has caused almost as much strife and ill-will as did a disagreement over the proper way to bowl a cricket ball!

#12498 12/09/00 07:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max mooted: No, pav=pavlova a meringue dessert claimed by both Australians and NZers to have been created first in their countries of origin. This ferocious argument has caused almost as much strife and ill-will as did a disagreement over the proper way to bowl a cricket ball!

Disagree. There is no argument over how to bowl a cricket ball. The Wicked Pitchers of the West in Oz just don't know what the right way is ... their new fast bowler is a veritable chucker.

Calling Antarctica "The Big Pav" is definitely an Ozzie expression. I was down there some years ago and I never heard either Deep Freeze or Scott Base people use the term. I suspect most of the others from paulb will fall into the same category.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12499 12/09/00 11:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

There is no argument over how to bowl a cricket ball. The Wicked Pitchers of the West in Oz just don't know what the right way is ... their new fast bowler is a veritable chucker.

Mea culpa. I was simply trying to be as diplomatic as possible about the incident in question. All sentient beings know that it was a heinous crime, one that will guarantee bad karma for the ACB until the end of time!

#12500 12/10/00 07:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Repentantly, Max said: Mea culpa. I was simply trying to be as diplomatic as possible about the incident in question. All sentient beings know that it was a heinous crime, one that will guarantee bad karma for the ACB until the end of time!

There are some wounds that time does not heal.

Seems they're skating on more thin ice given this thread. Comments from Oz?

#12501 12/10/00 10:26 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
paulb,

You beat me to it. I hasten to add that the expressions are purportedly those used by Australians living in Antartica - I have never heard any of them being used by us stay-at-homes.

CapK and Max,

Sorry if you wanted to start an animated exchange on The Underarm Bowling Incident, but on this issue I'm batting on your side. However, in view of the board's international flavour and the relative parochialism of cricket a la British Empire, I thought I'd post the background of the controversy/(ies) to which you refer.

The rules of cricket require the bowler NOT to straighten his arm during the delivery action. This is usually achieved by slinging the ball "over-arm" with a straight arm - I imagine you'll all have seen at least a few balls of cricket on TV, even if you haven't had the pleasure of sitting through an entire five-day Test match (which may have ended in a draw, i.e. was not completed!)

Nothing in the rules requires the ball to be bowled overarm - it's just more effective.

A (comparatively recent) variation on the multi-day cricket match is the limited overs one-day match in which each team has the same number (usually 50) of "overs" (6 balls constitute an over) to score runs, unless all the batsmen are dismissed (well actually 10 of the 11) before then. Team with the most runs win. Pretty straightforward, eh?

The limited overs game has had considerable success in boosting the popularity of cricket, since it results in much more attacking play, more risk-taking, faster scoring rates, more frequent wickets (dismissals), and importantly, exciting finishes. Quite often the game will hinge on whether the team batting second can score, say 15 runs off the last 6 balls, often going right down to the last ball.

In a famous one-day match between Australia and New Zealand way back in 198x (Max or CapK to supply details, I'm not L'ingIU), New Zealand, batting second, required 6 runs (or it may have been 5, but the effect is the same) from the last ball to win the match. The only way to score a six is to hit the ball over the boundary fence on the full. In order to eliminate that possibility, the then captain of the Australian team, Greg Chappell, instructed his bowler, who happened to be his younger brother Trevor, to bowl the ball underarm along the ground. As I recall it, the NZ batsman stopped the ball then threw his bat in disgust, the crowd - at first stunned into silence - booed loudly, followed by a similar reaction from an entire nation. Diplomatic relations were strained.

One NZ newspaper the next day ran the headline "AUSSIES HAVE AN UNDERARM PROBLEM".

What can I say, Max, CapK? I don't presume to speak for all Australians, but I think that there were a lot of us hanging our heads in shame that day, and we still squirm when reminded.

Within the rules? Certainly. But in the spirit of the game? Definitely not! At the time, the expression "it's just not cricket" would have said it all, but as has been noted on this board before, I think, allegations of bribe-taking and match-fixing in international cricket have detracted from the meaning of that expression. Ditto for "the gentleman's game".

Onto a different controversy, Australia has recently suffered accusations that one its fast bowlers, Brett Lee, throws the ball rather than bowls it - i.e. that he straightens his arm as he delivers the ball. Similar accusations have been levelled at other bowlers - most notably by Australian cricket umpire Daryl Hair(sp?) against Sri Lankan bowler Muttiah Muralitharin - see http://iesu5.ust.hk/dfaculty/ravi/murali.html. Cricket doesn't appear to have come up with a good way of dealing with this type of complaint.

#12502 12/11/00 03:40 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm sorry, but I just had to glory in the fact that we beat Pakistan. In a test. In a series. In Pakistan!!!! Hooray for England. Three cheers for Mike Atherton, the world's best slow batsman. Hip hip hooray for Graham Thorpe the reliable run-getter. And Hussain's a jolly good fellow! Let their names be writ large in letters of blazing metal upon megaliths to be placed around Lords. Let them be chaired around London and cheered through the counties. Let them even have a ticker-tape parade through the City.

(This from a fan of the country involved in the most famous bowling controversy of all time - Bodyline anyone?)

For those far removed from the hallowed precincts of cricket, let me say that England has, for the last five years been amongst the world's worst teams, but we have now won two Test Series' on the trot. And beating Pakistan, in Pakistan, is something England has only ever done once before, and an achievement that any test team (current Australia perhaps excepted) would be extremely proud of.

#12503 12/11/00 06:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shanks asks: Bodyline anyone?

Speaking of body-line what is leg theory?

(I've been reading the Don's Farewell to Cricket in conjunction with Great Aunt Fanny's Devil's Dictionary: http://cricket.about.com/sports/cricket/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/hotoff/crickgl.htm)

#12504 12/11/00 10:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage asks: Speaking of body-line what is leg theory?

This is NOT that kind of forum. See something like: www.leg-theory.attractive-females-of-the-human-persuasion.com

The only leg theory in relation to cricket that I know about is the interesting one which states that if your leg intersperses itself between a legally-bowled ball and the wicket, AND the bowler yells loudly enough AND the umpire is awake AND the third umpire's video cameras have faithfully recorded the event, there's a very good chance that you'll be given out. How do I know this? It's happened to me more than once ....

#12505 12/11/00 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The only leg theory in relation to cricket...

Perhaps it is an obsolete term. Sir Donald mentioned it more than once in reference to body line bowling as practiced by a Mr Jardin (if memory serves). He seemed to think that leg theory was all right but that body line wasn't. Kind of like brushing back versus intentionally beaning in baseball?

Great Aunt Fanny didn't mention leg theory at all. She did say that the traditional best man's joke about bowling a maiden over stopped being funny before WWI and was outlawed by the M.C.C. in 1923(?) so she appears to have some historical credentials.

#12506 12/12/00 12:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage replied: The only leg theory in relation to cricket...

Perhaps it is an obsolete term.

I must admit that I have no real interest in cricketing history - it is a game to be played for a convenient and mutually-agreed period of time on warm afternoons. It should cease at the point that all concerned are agreed that retiring to the shade and the beer keg is the logical next step.

All of our games are subsequently declared draws before they're even played. Bugs the hell out of the serious players, of course.

#12507 12/12/00 01:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Bugs the hell out of the serious players, of course

I was not aware that it was possible to have these in cricket.

Also, isn't that an oxymoron?

Now a sort of serious question: do television stations in England, Wales, Oz, NZ, etc. carry our baseball world series?

Is there a similar thing for cricket?

TEd
#12508 12/12/00 02:06 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
: do television stations in England, Wales, Oz, NZ, etc. carry our baseball world series?

Is there a similar thing for cricket?

Here in NZ, The World Series is available to anybody with ESPN - those who don't have it, probably don't miss it! There is a "World Series" in cricket, run by the Australian Cricket Board - it is always a triangular contest, featuring Australia and two other nations. That is as close as cricket comes to the laughably Americocentric impression given by calling the NBL's championship "The World Series" (doff of hat to tsuwm for his earlier post explaining the true origin of the term)

The International Council also runs a real World Cup, in which every nation represented on the ICC can compete - at last count well over 30. Most of these nations get knocked out in qualifying tournaments, so that the actual World Cup is still a Commonwealth reunion, except for the presence of The Netherlands at the last one.

#12509 12/12/00 06:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

The International Council also runs a real World Cup, in which every nation represented on the ICC can compete - at last count well over 30. Most of these nations get knocked out in qualifying tournaments, so that the actual World Cup is still a Commonwealth reunion, except for the presence of The Netherlands at the last one.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Baseball only gets coverage when a player does something that might be of passing interest in Godzone - like the greatest number of home runs for the season or the world record or whatever. Same with American Football, really. We play basically the same game (rugby and rugby league), but without the reinforced helmets, the Kevlar armour and the ad breaks.

It's my dream to see the Netherlands beat Australia in a one-day cricket match. Or the team from Mauritius or Tristan da Cunha or even a scratch team from McMurdo Sound and Scott Base (to bring the thread in the general direction of back on course).

Even softball, which New Zealand are world champions in, doesn't get much coverage here. We are far more likely to be treated to two and a half solid hours of prima donna-saturated tennis matches, Master Tournament golf or (if we're really, really good and have eaten all our greens) lawn bowls. It took me a long time to realise that we were supposed to watch the wretched balls, not the grass growing.

#12510 12/12/00 08:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Faldage asks: Speaking of body-line what is leg theory?

Leg theory bowling, as Bradman has it, is bowling (usually from around the wicket) in which the focus of the ball is the leg side. There is, of course, a more limited range of strokes you can play on the leg side (because your body is facing the other way and your legs are in the way) so this is a good way to restrict run scoring. Also, if you have enough fielders there, the leg glances, sweeps, miscued hooks and the like can be easily caught.

Leg theory suffered a decline because it was so successful (and bodyline was simply leg theory taken to its logical extreme) that the laws of cricket were changed to bring some balance to the equation. The two key changes affect fielding and leg before wicket.

1. You may no longer have more than two fielders backward of square on the leg side. So these days you usually see backward square leg and fine leg, though leg slips are not unheard of.

2. You may not be leg before wicket if the ball pitches outside the leg stump.

The second rule in particular has made it a lot easier for batsmen to cope with quality legspin, since they often simply pad the ball away. Even so, as you may know, leg spinners have come back into fashion, with Shane Warne leading the way, and many, if not most, Test teams boasting at least one quality leg spinner.

Hope that helps.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#12511 12/12/00 08:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Cap Kiwi, you said: And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Sorry, but the fellers to your West did. Australia were the 1999 World Cup champs. For the record, here's the full list:

1975 - West Indies
1979 - West Indies
1983 - India
1987 - Australia
1992 - Pakistan
1996 - Sri Lanka
1999 - Australia

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#12512 12/12/00 09:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shanks saith: Hey Cap Kiwi, you said: And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Well, we won something this year in Zimbabwe and that included beating Pakistan. I've been too busy to follow cricket (or anything else, for that matter) up until a month or so ago.

Soooo my memory was of a win, but the wrong one. No doubt you can tell what we did win. Anyone who can come up with an explanation of leg theory has to be able to!

#12513 12/12/00 10:03 AM
old hand
old hand
Well, we won something this year in Zimbabwe and that included beating Pakistan.

You won the ICC Knockout Trophy, beating my second favourite team (India, of course) in the process. 15 October 2000, India scoreed 265/6 and New Zealand managed 265/6 in 49.4 overs with Chris Cairns unbeaten on 102.

And no, I don't know all of this by heart, I simply look it up on cricinfo (www.cricinfo.com - best website for cricket on the net).

#12514 12/12/00 02:52 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I simply look it up...

Just light net practice today, shanks?

#12515 12/12/00 03:55 PM
old hand
old hand
My customary batting position is number twelve. I get to wear the whites, and flirt with the ladies, but can focus on the beer and sarnies instead of having to go out and chase that ruddy ball to the boundary...

#12516 12/12/00 04:23 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
batting position is number twelve

I once graced the Summer practice session of a Kent Colts type outfit, where we were treated to tuition by Ealham and Mike Denness (both Kent County players, and MD was briefly a captain of England, for all lucky non-cricketers!) After observing my batting in the nets he said with a leisurely Scottish drawl "Yes. Very... individualistic technique!" Once a maverick, always a maverick...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cap K notes: We play basically the same game (rugby and rugby league), but without the reinforced helmets, the Kevlar armour and the ad breaks.

American football has been described as embodying the two worst features of American life. It is violence punctuated by committee* meetings. Rugby may qualify for the former but, unless you count a scrumdown as a committee meeting I don't think it qualifies for the latter.

*Aha! We were looking elsewhere for a second word with three double letters. Did they have to be consecutive?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage comments: Rugby may qualify for the former but, unless you count a scrumdown as a committee meeting I don't think it qualifies for the latter.

No, you're right. Scrums are not committee meetings. They are much more intimate than that ...

I never made it to anything other than drinks boy at rugby - too small (skinny) physically in them days, something I could never be accused of now. I bemoaned my fate publicly, but celebrated privately.

I went on to play left right out for one of the school's lesser soccer teams.

#12519 12/13/00 06:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Capital Kiwi proclaims: I went on to play left right out for one of the school's lesser soccer teams.

What a coincidence! My father used to play left right out for the old St. Louis Browns! Or at least that's what he always used to tell me.

''Onward and upward St. Louis Browns!"

#12520 12/13/00 09:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage fulminates: What a coincidence! My father used to play left right out for the old St. Louis Browns! Or at least that's what he always used to tell me.

To borrow one of my favourite phrases from M*A*S*H: "Finest kind". It's the only position to play. As shanks said in an earlier post, you get first go at the sarnies and (drinks). You don't get too wet and cold. Your mother doesn't go on at you about how dirty your kit is. Finest kind!

#12521 12/15/00 06:49 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

Bugs the hell out of the serious players

Funny you should employ this locution in the middle of a discussion of leg theory in cricket. I believe crickets rub their legs together a good deal to produce their characteristic sound which is supposed to attract a mate. Is that part of the leg theory in question?

#12522 12/16/00 01:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
BobYB comments: Funny you should employ this locution in the middle of a discussion of leg theory in cricket. I believe crickets rub their legs together a good deal to produce their characteristic sound which is supposed to attract a mate. Is that part of the leg theory in question?

Gives a whole new meaning to "leg before wicket", anyway.

#12523 12/18/00 01:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
paulb, it occurred to me that women out of phase would be:
woops!

#12524 12/19/00 11:19 AM
P
paulb Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
… and, Jackie:
doctors would be 'droops';
anonymous people would be 'oops'.

#12525 12/19/00 03:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and finally, at long last, a name for AWAD posters... poops.
-ron obvious

#12526 12/19/00 04:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
only if we get a betty boop icon, will i be poop(--poop pee do!)

#12527 12/19/00 04:50 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
a name for AWAD posters... poops

Certainly sorts out the name for your impending elevation, tsuwm - to pooper-scooper

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 955 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith