About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12505 12/11/00 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The only leg theory in relation to cricket...

Perhaps it is an obsolete term. Sir Donald mentioned it more than once in reference to body line bowling as practiced by a Mr Jardin (if memory serves). He seemed to think that leg theory was all right but that body line wasn't. Kind of like brushing back versus intentionally beaning in baseball?

Great Aunt Fanny didn't mention leg theory at all. She did say that the traditional best man's joke about bowling a maiden over stopped being funny before WWI and was outlawed by the M.C.C. in 1923(?) so she appears to have some historical credentials.

#12506 12/12/00 12:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage replied: The only leg theory in relation to cricket...

Perhaps it is an obsolete term.

I must admit that I have no real interest in cricketing history - it is a game to be played for a convenient and mutually-agreed period of time on warm afternoons. It should cease at the point that all concerned are agreed that retiring to the shade and the beer keg is the logical next step.

All of our games are subsequently declared draws before they're even played. Bugs the hell out of the serious players, of course.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12507 12/12/00 01:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Bugs the hell out of the serious players, of course

I was not aware that it was possible to have these in cricket.

Also, isn't that an oxymoron?

Now a sort of serious question: do television stations in England, Wales, Oz, NZ, etc. carry our baseball world series?

Is there a similar thing for cricket?

TEd
#12508 12/12/00 02:06 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
: do television stations in England, Wales, Oz, NZ, etc. carry our baseball world series?

Is there a similar thing for cricket?

Here in NZ, The World Series is available to anybody with ESPN - those who don't have it, probably don't miss it! There is a "World Series" in cricket, run by the Australian Cricket Board - it is always a triangular contest, featuring Australia and two other nations. That is as close as cricket comes to the laughably Americocentric impression given by calling the NBL's championship "The World Series" (doff of hat to tsuwm for his earlier post explaining the true origin of the term)

The International Council also runs a real World Cup, in which every nation represented on the ICC can compete - at last count well over 30. Most of these nations get knocked out in qualifying tournaments, so that the actual World Cup is still a Commonwealth reunion, except for the presence of The Netherlands at the last one.

#12509 12/12/00 06:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

The International Council also runs a real World Cup, in which every nation represented on the ICC can compete - at last count well over 30. Most of these nations get knocked out in qualifying tournaments, so that the actual World Cup is still a Commonwealth reunion, except for the presence of The Netherlands at the last one.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Baseball only gets coverage when a player does something that might be of passing interest in Godzone - like the greatest number of home runs for the season or the world record or whatever. Same with American Football, really. We play basically the same game (rugby and rugby league), but without the reinforced helmets, the Kevlar armour and the ad breaks.

It's my dream to see the Netherlands beat Australia in a one-day cricket match. Or the team from Mauritius or Tristan da Cunha or even a scratch team from McMurdo Sound and Scott Base (to bring the thread in the general direction of back on course).

Even softball, which New Zealand are world champions in, doesn't get much coverage here. We are far more likely to be treated to two and a half solid hours of prima donna-saturated tennis matches, Master Tournament golf or (if we're really, really good and have eaten all our greens) lawn bowls. It took me a long time to realise that we were supposed to watch the wretched balls, not the grass growing.

#12510 12/12/00 08:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Faldage asks: Speaking of body-line what is leg theory?

Leg theory bowling, as Bradman has it, is bowling (usually from around the wicket) in which the focus of the ball is the leg side. There is, of course, a more limited range of strokes you can play on the leg side (because your body is facing the other way and your legs are in the way) so this is a good way to restrict run scoring. Also, if you have enough fielders there, the leg glances, sweeps, miscued hooks and the like can be easily caught.

Leg theory suffered a decline because it was so successful (and bodyline was simply leg theory taken to its logical extreme) that the laws of cricket were changed to bring some balance to the equation. The two key changes affect fielding and leg before wicket.

1. You may no longer have more than two fielders backward of square on the leg side. So these days you usually see backward square leg and fine leg, though leg slips are not unheard of.

2. You may not be leg before wicket if the ball pitches outside the leg stump.

The second rule in particular has made it a lot easier for batsmen to cope with quality legspin, since they often simply pad the ball away. Even so, as you may know, leg spinners have come back into fashion, with Shane Warne leading the way, and many, if not most, Test teams boasting at least one quality leg spinner.

Hope that helps.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#12511 12/12/00 08:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Cap Kiwi, you said: And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Sorry, but the fellers to your West did. Australia were the 1999 World Cup champs. For the record, here's the full list:

1975 - West Indies
1979 - West Indies
1983 - India
1987 - Australia
1992 - Pakistan
1996 - Sri Lanka
1999 - Australia

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#12512 12/12/00 09:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shanks saith: Hey Cap Kiwi, you said: And, if my memory serves me correctly, we won it.

Well, we won something this year in Zimbabwe and that included beating Pakistan. I've been too busy to follow cricket (or anything else, for that matter) up until a month or so ago.

Soooo my memory was of a win, but the wrong one. No doubt you can tell what we did win. Anyone who can come up with an explanation of leg theory has to be able to!

#12513 12/12/00 10:03 AM
old hand
old hand
Well, we won something this year in Zimbabwe and that included beating Pakistan.

You won the ICC Knockout Trophy, beating my second favourite team (India, of course) in the process. 15 October 2000, India scoreed 265/6 and New Zealand managed 265/6 in 49.4 overs with Chris Cairns unbeaten on 102.

And no, I don't know all of this by heart, I simply look it up on cricinfo (www.cricinfo.com - best website for cricket on the net).

#12514 12/12/00 02:52 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I simply look it up...

Just light net practice today, shanks?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith