Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122418 02/09/04 03:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
On perusing some literature for hamstring pull treatment (ouch!)I encountered this:

>The origin of the word "hamstring" comes from the Old English "hamm," meaning thigh. "String" refers to the characteristic appearance and feel of the tendons just above the back of the knee.<

So how and when did ham evolve to come to mean exlusively pork, when it originally applied to any kind of thigh? And, so, in Old English did they say "cow hamm", pig hamm", lamb hamm," etc. Did the randy youth of the those times say, "methinks the lady has nice hamms!"?

>The power advantages of strong hamstrings have been known for a long time. In times past, a sword wielding knight
would disable an opponent by a slice across the back of the thigh. Cruel masters were known to have severed the hamstrings of domestic slaves or prisoners in order to make escape less likely. The origin of the term "hamstrung", meaning to have been crippled or held back, is derived from these practices.<

Has anyone ever heard or used the term "hamstrung"? I seem to recall an old, brief mention of this here as a Brit-ism?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ham still refers to the thigh (meat) of any quadruped, according to OED. But "especially" pork. I believe on the right bank our English-speaking friends are more likely to use gammon than ham. Cannot remember Ozzies using the term gammon instead of ham, but suspect they do.

Yes, I use the term hamstrung to mean crippled. As in: "That manager really hamstrung us on this one."

I was fascinated to see that my OED does not include an overly emotive actor or actress in the definition of ham.

TEd
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I believe on the right bank our English-speaking friends are more likely to use gammon than ham.

Gammon is the cured meat from the upper part of a side of bacon. It is sold uncooked, to provide gammon steaks or rashers, both of which are moderately thick, not like bacon rashers.
Gammon is, essentially, the same part of the pig as ham. However, whereas in the UK ham is sold after being both cured and cooked, gammon has only been cured.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Did the randy youth of the those times say, "methinks the lady has nice hamms!"

Well, the sentence you've constructed is more (late) Middle English. And I'm not sure if any youth would be seeing a "lady's" thighs.

In my OE dictionary, ham is glossed as "the ham, the inner or hind part of the knee" and was used to translate the Latin poples (poplitis) 'hollow of the knee'. Here's an old English sentence fragment cited in that dictionary: "Monegum men gescrincaþ his fét up to the ham ... gebeðe ða hamma" (with many a man the feet shrink up to the ham ... warm the hams); writing about some disease, from the Liber Medicinalis in the Leechdoms 1, 26. Also, "mid hommen iuolden" (with bent knees).

#122422 02/09/04 03:44 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
In my first pass above, I missed that OE ham is also the word used to translate Latin suffrago (suffraginis) 'ham, hock'.

#122423 02/09/04 03:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> not include an overly emotive actor...

mmm, interesting - the OED2 gives this, from which I suppose a back-formation is only a hint away, but...

slang.

To act in a ‘hammy’ manner, to over-act. Freq. const. up. Hence "hammed-up ppl. a.; "hamming vbl. n. and ppl. a.

otoh, it's worth quoting a couple of the other hams which have also been mentioned here before, I think...
n2:
local.

A plot of pasture ground; in some places esp. meadow-land; in others spec. an enclosed plot, a close. Found in OE., and still in local use in the south; in some places surviving only as the name of a particular piece of ground.

and n3: The OE. hám home, which, in composition, has been shortened to ham, as in Hampstead, Hampton (:—Hámtún), Oakham, Lewisham, etc., and, in this form, is sometimes used by historical writers in the sense ‘town, village, or manor’ of the Old English period.

#122424 02/09/04 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How is the above discussion linked etymologically to gams and viola da gamba, the predecessor of the cello?

#122425 02/09/04 04:49 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I haven't looked it all up, but it is the ‘leg viol’. Originally sized about like a large guitar and played by a seated musician who balanced it’s base upon his right thigh. It then grew somewhat larger and was held vertically.

In French there is la jambe and le jambon and here we have an actor called Michael Gambon. But actually he is pretty good - not at all hammy.

#122426 02/09/04 05:11 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Below the knee we'll (in Québec) usually call it "la patte de cochon." My ragout with patte de chochon is FABULOUS (brag-brag ).

The jambon is usually smoked and is from the knee up.

We'll never use the word jambon to describe anything but pork.

I know I can LIU but since we're talking about it...what is it you guys call a hamhock? I've heard that a couple of times. Which part of the pig is it?

#122427 02/09/04 05:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Check the gams on *this baby:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/66/G0026600.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 915 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith