Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119241 01/09/04 02:38 PM
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I am new here. would someone please let me know what the best display preferences are. Thank you

Le Comte De Lautreamont

Le Comte De Lautreamont
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Again, welcome, Count.

I like the flat mode, 99 posts per page. But you're gonna get other opinions, that's for sure.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what the best display preferences are

Mostly it's personal choice, but I would suggest 99 for 'Total posts to show on one page when viewing a thread in flat mode (default is 10)' if you decide on flat mode. Flat mode gives you everything in chronological order, Threaded mode shows you posts according to what they were responding to. The latter can be a little confusing sometimes since flatliners aren't always careful about what posts they click on for responses. But being in flat mode can be confusing, too, since threaded mode folks aren't always careful about indicating what they are responding to, either. The best thing to do if there is any chance of confusion is to quote, in some manner, the element in a post that you are responding to. There is also a site that gives all kinds of helpful tips for new folks that someone will give the link to. I never remember where it is.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i read flat, reply threaded--
so if you have actived the option that emails a notice when replies are made to your post, you'll have gotten one from this post-- (i replyed to you, (threaded mode) not to Annastrophic(flat mode))

even with a threaded reply, its nice to include a word or two of the post you are responding to... otherwise it can get complicated.. (or you post might not make the same point, or even much sense!)

i like having the header at the top-(not the side) it means thread are less likely to 'go wide'-- but we do take care here with URL's and Pre-formated material to try to prevent threads from going wide (requiring the use of the horizonatal scroll bar to read)

Read the FaQ-(i always think its best to print it out.. its only 4 sheet of paper printed, and it help--most BB's have similar conventions... but some have more smilies, and other features.. so you won't end up [u]trying to underline[/u], and end up having BB code showing, (since underline is not a feature.

definately set you number of posts per page to 99, and if a thread get long, expect it to end before 100 posts and to be continued in part II--its hard to move from page to page in old thread... so 99 post per page lets you read the entire thread, and if a thread end before it reaches 100, no post end up getting lost in cyber space..

look in I & A--Jackie (red letter lady) has made some informative posts.. there are posts that have links to pages that give more hints (like how to do ligatures, (æ)and other fun stuff.. just go back page by page, or set do a search on how do i/you--in I & A thread..

or search for technical question--these thread have oodle of info!

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
thank you

Le Comte De Lautreamont

Le Comte De Lautreamont
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
One small item : if a thread causes a lot interest and goes beyond the 99-reply display, we start another thread -- it is merely polite to post the switch at end of the 99th post.
For example the first thread might be "Love" and the 99th or 100th post would start as "Love 2" or "Love II" depending on your erudition and inclination to display it.(grin)
It doesn't happen often so the 99 display in Preferences is usually sufficient. Does that make sense?
Welcome ! and very happy posting.

#119248 01/10/04 12:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and all other new(ish) folks. Do check out the above link--I'll put it here again.
http://maxqnz.com/Hints.html
This should tell you just about all the hints and shortcuts, etc., you could ask for. Thanks again to jmh for compiling them and to Max for putting it such easily-accessible form. We kept it on the first page of I & A for a long time. Y'all think we ought to make the effort again? (This involves whoever sees it getting down to the bottom and ready to go off the first page adding a "post" (I just put an x, since a blank one wouldn't be accepted), then deleting it as soon as it's posted. Making a new post causes a thread to jump to the top of the category. However, we quickly realized that it would be better to keep this particular thread "strictly facts" and not keep tacking on irrelevant posts.)

Welcome aBoard, lautreamont. I see you're in Prague. If you don't mind saying, is English your first language?

#119249 01/10/04 02:22 AM
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I actualy just started speaking english a year ago I speak cech russian french and spanish very well my english is comming along well, although I have alot of work on punctuation to do.

Le Comte De Lautreamont

Le Comte De Lautreamont
#119250 01/10/04 03:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow--I am impressed.
Oh! "The Count of the Other Mont(e)"--am I right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith