Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118929 01/06/04 08:04 AM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
This link gives more details of how the device works.

http://www.anteques.com/srv/antaday/1113.htm

#118930 01/06/04 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, yours is prettier than the ones Anu linked to; that head one creeped me out.
How in the world did anyone ever think up something like this? I also thought it was interesting that Anu credited it to an earl (didn't you all just love his use of early?) as the owner, but the links credited it to the missus.

#118931 01/06/04 03:07 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It took me a while to figure out how the teapot worked. The hole in the bottom must connect only to a tube running through the handle. With the teapot upside down it could be filled with no escape from the spout. When turned back up again, tea could not escape from hole in the bottom, because the handle tube is arched high enough that tea could not re-enter it. I suspect though that it might have been tricky to prevent spill in the filling process when first turned upright again. And the traditional tea ritual would not have been possible.

#118932 01/06/04 04:20 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
and the tea would be stewed forever, without recourse to freshening.

and it would be hot-handled.

and it would be clumsily heavier than functionally required.

and it would STILL bloody drip!

Apart from that, another triumph of upper-crust British lunacy - expensive to make, ugly to look at, functionally debased... so ending up highly collectible :)

#118933 01/06/04 05:22 PM
F
addict
addict
F
The hole in the bottom must connect only to a tube running through the handle. With the teapot upside down it could be filled with no escape from the spout.

A sort of a Klein teapot? (explained at http://www.math.rochester.edu/misc/klein-bottle.html, nice photos of actual Klein bottles at http://www.kleinbottle.com -- a commercial site I have no connection to) I assumed that the hole in the bottom was just connected to a long tube that ended near the top of the pot. It would have to be filled at an angle, or a pretty large amount would slosh out when it was turned, but I can envision doing it. Assuming the tea is prepared apart from those to whom it is being served, a little sloshing presents no etiquette problems, but your solution would work much better (aside from the problems Mav mentions).

#118934 01/06/04 06:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
That cadogan with the human face on the side
would not likely have been suitable for use. The description says it was slip cast. This means that a plaster of Paris mould has a very thick suspension of clay in water poured into it, allowed to stand a short period of time.The plaster of Paris takes enough water out of the supension in contact to increase its viscosity enough that it will be able to keep the shape of the mould when the mould is tipped upside down to pour the still semiliquid
clay suspension out.
That handle is so narrow in cross-section that the tube it contains would be very narrow, and the handle as a whole
quite fragile.
I have done enough slip casting to be quite sure of this.

#118935 01/07/04 01:38 PM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
I once was able to handle one of these pots at a small museum in a Staffordshire pottery and see its use demonstrated. That particular pot was made as Flatlander described, with a tube running vertically up from the bottom, narrowing towards the top. The base of the spout was close to the bottom of the pot. The pot was turned upside down and liquid was poured into the tube, filling the whole pot and the tube up to a mark scratched on the inside of the tube, presumably calculated to avoid getting liquid into the spout or above the top of the tube once the pot was righted. As you turned the pot up the right way the liquid left in the tube dribbled out. There was not much mess, perhaps because the vacuum formed as the pot was righted held back the flow of liquid to a trickle. I think wwh's idea of a tube running up the handle would have been even less messy and perhaps some were made in that way; in my youth, many teapots had handles too hot to hold (try a silver teapot as an example!), so I don't think that would have been seen as a big disadvantage - anyway, what were servants for?

To me the strangest thing about the whole idea is that as there was no way of inserting tea leaves into the Cadogan pot, or extracting them afterwards, the tea would have had to be brewed in a separate pot and then poured into the Cadogan – you might as well have poured the tea in through the spout! By the time it was served to eager drinkers it would have been pretty cold. The usual recommendation when making tea is to rinse the pot with hot water to warm it before making the tea. I guess you could do that with the Cadogan, but probably it was just intended to be a drawing room demonstration of a simple but intriguing scientific principle rather than a serious teapot!

#118936 01/07/04 02:12 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
After thinking about it some more, I can now see idea of tube running through the handle was wrong.The bottom of the pot could have been an upside down funnel, with straight tube extending almost to the top. The funnel could have been slip cast separately, and then put in place with glaze to seal the joint on firing. It would have been impossible to wash inside adequately, so residues could spoil flavor. Yuk.

#118937 01/20/04 12:11 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Another collectible that is as rare as you'd think is the Medieval dribble cup. If you knew where to put your finger and/or tongue on the little hole(s) to create a vacuum inside you could drink safely. Your guests however wouldn't know the trick.

#118938 01/20/04 10:01 AM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Just the thing for one of Betty's garden parties!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,383
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 234 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,570
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith