I'm reading Mencken, The American Language. He really goofed calling a railway crossing part a "casting". Castins are made by pouring molten iron into a mould. They are cheap, but brittle. Only forged steel is suitable.
"So with the casting where two rails join. The English called it a crossing-plate. The Americans, more responsive to the suggestion in its shape, called it a frog."