Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#11775 12/04/00 02:52 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Tv ads in the U.S. have become remarkable for all but omitting the product in their visual displays. We (Americans) can watch an ad over and over, and laud it for its humor or maybe its humanity, and yet we will be uncertain of the object of that very ad -- let's see, was it for a new line of blue jeans? or for a sportscar?

#11776 12/04/00 03:01 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Same here, ShyHeart. Unless they're affecting us in some subliminal way, it does make you feel that the advertising companies concerned are taking their customers' money under false pretences. Mind you, it generates some good entries for <insert the ad equivalent of the Cannes Film Festival here>.

#11777 12/04/00 10:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Wait! Wait! Wait!
Department of Second Thoughts:
Is it bad marketing? We are talking about it, aren't we?
wow

Yup.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#11778 12/04/00 10:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Marty wrote: Same here, ShyHeart. Unless they're affecting us in some subliminal way, it does make you feel that the advertising companies concerned are taking their customers' money under false pretences. Mind you, it generates some good entries for <insert the ad equivalent of the Cannes Film Festival here>.

In NZ (and I'm sure in Oz), Toyota have a history of very, very successful TV advertising in terms of the viewer's retention of the message. Some of the contents of these ads become iconic and enter the language, albeit briefly.

The latest one, which whipped up a storm of teacup proportions among the couch-bound semi-moral bleeters with which NZ (and I bet most other countries) is littered every night, was one for the Toyota HiLux utility vehicle (pickup for the Yanks). The only word spoken in the ad was "Bugger!", spoken by a farmer, his wife and his dog. A court ruling arising from the rump whingeland complaints left us with a new, acceptable word - bugger!

The really interesting thing is that within weeks another ad - a transport road safety ad - had a four-year-old girl saying it when her father, driving a ute, accidentally splashes her shoes when going through a puddle of water. Still, I guess bad language doesn't pay, because she gets hit by a car a couple of seconds later.

#11779 12/04/00 04:10 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
WHAT ?!?!?!

A little girl gets HIT by a car in a Toyota commercial. And people are upset about the word bugger being uttered???

Curiouser and curiouser.

#11780 12/04/00 07:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
- a transport road safety ad - had a four-year-old girl saying it when her father, driving a ute, accidentally splashes her shoes when going through a puddle of water. Still, I guess bad language doesn't pay, because she gets hit by a car a couple of seconds later.

no idle threats in your safety ads! you kill off jaywalkers and foul mouthed kids, huh?
Every year in Japan as an end of year special, and at odd intervals here, there are shows featuring international TV commercials. Some of the european soap commercials are too riske for US TV, and end up "blurred"-- others are just strange to our way of thinking.
I like one of the beer commercials-- OZ i think, a guy sitting at a bar stool, first beer opposite an old hag, with each beer, she gets younger and more voluptious! by time he is bleary eyed, the woman is knockout! it would never play here! the puritans wouldn't object, (truth in advertizing), but breweries would never show any one getting bleary eyed on beer! Our beer commercials look like ads for young health bodies!

there are scads of stories about how us marketer's failed to check out a translation, and wordered why there marketing effort failed...

some ideas just seem so obviously bad.. Xerox changed its corporate logo from a blue san serif XEROX to a big red X(digitized) -- a symbol i associate with "Wrong". and i guess looking at there stock and company performance others agree with me.

And my daughter came home from visiting her aunt in japan, and remarked it was no wonder no one in japan bought american cars. she hadn't seen a single one with the steering wheel on the right. all were equiped as if for the US market! she was a teenager, and she thought it was a dumb way to sell cars.

#11781 12/05/00 06:19 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
AWAD rules OK. I just tried to follow Father Steve's GAP link to see what the fuss is about -- and the ad isn't there any more. Some pathetic excuse about an unauthorised link but we know the real reason, don't we.

Incidentally, it's not just Americans. Sogo, a Japanese dept. store has branches in Jakarta and they have in store advertisements at the moment (or did till the Christmas/Idul Fitri blitz started) urging us to buy winter clothes, not having noticed that on the equator we don't have winter. No wonder they've gone bankrupt...

Bingley

Bingley
#11782 12/05/00 06:26 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

the horrible "words" i18n and l10n for internationalization and localization respectively.

[shudder] Huh? [/shudder]

Bingley

Bingley
#11783 12/05/00 09:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
- a transport road safety ad - had a four-year-old girl saying it when her father, driving a ute, accidentally splashes her shoes when going through a puddle of water. Still, I guess bad language doesn't pay, because she gets hit by a car a couple of seconds later

Thanks, 1000 Ship Launcher.

and, there are scads of stories about how us marketer's failed to check out a translation, and wordered why there marketing effort failed...

My favourite one is Ford's attempts to sell the Nova in Central and South America ... in Spanish, "no va" means "doesn't go". You can imagine the sales graph. Talk about flatliners!

#11784 12/05/00 02:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like the coke cola ad--in US it was "coke brings things to life!"
in china it was first translated as "coke restore your dead ancestors to life" not exactly the image they wanted to portray.

but sometimes marketers get it right. Foster's (Aussie) beer has had some great commercials in US, (the intro is "How to speak" accompanied by a visual--a large, sizzling steak on platter, it's then garnished with a sprig of parsley. the unseen announcers states "salad". there are lots of them, all in similar vein. (busy saloon, many drinkers, one, on far end bar throws a boomerang, the guy it hits reaches up and switches the channel on the TV to a soccer game. Unseen announcer "remote") tag line is all is Fosters--Australian for beer. It a good campaign, since i don't even like beer and i remember them!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith