Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117395 12/09/03 08:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I've always used the above in a negative sense: "I don't get out much anymore."

Recently I've begun hearing/reading it without the negative: "It's too cold for me anymore" or "All I read is Nora Roberts anymore."

Is this an USn regional thing? Or does it cross ponds?

#117396 12/09/03 09:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear AS: your first quote was part of a popular song, which can have helped its currency. The phrase itself looks to the past, and often to something lost or regretted, so repetition impossible or undesired. I'm having difficulty thinking of use of it omitting the negative, unless I use it as two separate words.
Your second two quotes seem rather awkward.

#117397 12/09/03 09:56 PM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I'd never heard of this usage, so I was surprised to see lots of examples show up on the Harvard dialect survey of US English:

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/maps.php

See questions 54 to 57. The first two are rated as massively unacceptable (only about 5%), but the latter two have about a 20% or more acceptability. I'm not clear what the grammatical situation is that makes them different.

Traditional "some" is for positive statements, "I've got some", and "any" is for questions and negatives and suchlike, "Have you got any?" and "I haven't got any".

With "any more" I can make questions and negatives "Do you go there any more?" and "I don't go there any more" but there doesn't seem to be a positive: you have to say "I still go there", I suppose.

#117398 12/10/03 02:39 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Traditional "some" is for positive statements, "I've got some", and "any" is for questions and negatives and suchlike, "Have you got any?" and "I haven't got any".

This may be how the rule is traditionally formulated, but I'm not sure it's correct. It doesn't take into account such positive sentences as "Any of them will do."

Bingley

Bingley
#117399 12/10/03 03:22 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Recently I've begun hearing/reading it without the negative: "It's too cold for me anymore" or "All I read is Nora Roberts anymore."

I have heard this usage. A typical example to me would be something like It seems like all we ever do is fight anymore. It expresses a recent trend that is a departure from the way things used to be. Both of the examples you gave fit this pattern. It's too cold for me anymore (but I used to be happy with the climate). All I read is Nora Roberts anymore (but I used to have wider reading interests).

#117400 12/10/03 07:09 AM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
"Any of them will do."

"Any" also occurs in positive conditionals: "If you've got any". It's used anywhere that isn't an ordinary positive statement.

I think the "any" in "Any of them will do" -- oh look, and "anywhere that" -- is a quantifier, like "every". It's the difference between "I want to go somewhere warm" and "I want to go anywhere it's warm": one is some indefinite place, the other ranges over all such places.

The dialectal use of "anymore" must be a reinterpretation of some aspect of this -- non-real, or quantified, or something, but I couldn't see what was the bit of grammar or meaning that was actually doing it.

#117401 12/10/03 07:39 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
"It's too cold for me anymore"

I haven't heard 'anymore' used in that way on this side of the pond. It seems as though it is perhaps being used in place of 'nowadays'.

#117402 12/10/03 01:49 PM
"I haven't heard 'anymore' used in that way on this side of the pond. It seems as though it is perhaps being used in place of 'nowadays'."

Yes, that's how I've heard my older relatives use it. As kind of a synonym for "these days"

#117403 12/10/03 02:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting, what Gurunet says (from AHD). I have to say, I hadn't realized it was alloneword.
an·y·more (ĕn'ē-môr', -mōr')
adv.
a. Any longer; at the present: Do they make this model anymore?
b. From now on: We promised not to quarrel anymore.
Chiefly Midland U.S. Nowadays.
REGIONAL NOTE In standard American English the word anymore is often found in negative sentences: They don't live here anymore. But anymore is widely used in regional American English in positive sentences with the meaning “nowadays”: “We use a gas stove anymore” (Oklahoma informant in DARE). Its use, which appears to be spreading, is centered in the South Midland and Midwestern states, as well as in the Western states that received settlers from those areas. The earliest recorded examples are from Northern Ireland, where the positive use of anymore still occurs.

For reasons lost in the mists of time, I have the idea that saying any longer is the grammatically correct version.

#117404 12/10/03 02:50 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
To me, there seems to be a subtle difference between 'anymore' and 'any more.'

The former has a negative connotation, as debated above, but the latter is more universal.
I would say "I have not found any more mushrooms." but, "I don't seem to be able to find mushrooms anymore."(especially if I was speaking toConnie!)
I would never say, "Have you got anymore mushrooms." - it would be, "Have you got any more mushrooms."

Does this obscure things a little better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith