Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#115450 11/08/03 12:43 AM
D
dnes Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I'm looking for the word for an apparatus to pull a barrel or other cylindrical object up a ramp. One ties ropes to the top of the ramp, wraps them around the barrel and pulls on them, thus rolling the barrel up the ramp.

I can clearly remember a diagram of this which I saw in a dictionary a long time ago, but I have forgotten the word. Any ideas?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, dnes. I don't think I've ever heard of something specifically for the purpose you state, so I can't help you with that; all I can think of is ropes and pulleys. But if you have the time, perhaps your apparatus is somewhere in one of the links on this page:
http://www.courses.dsu.edu/eled320/Fall2001units/Fall 2001/Peterson/Bibliography.htm

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dnes: If I were doing it, I'd have the barrel on a dolley, and use a winch. So "winch" might be the word you want.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Winch! Yes! My husband has called it a "come-along" so much that I forgot the actual name!

D
D
If it were the other way around - the rope tied to the barrel and wrapped around something that turned at the top of the ramp - you'd be talking about a capstan, the same type of mechanism used for hauling up anchors and such.

Ron.

Ron.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...called it a "come-along"...

The modern "come-along" (as I know it) is a bit of a hybrid. Its action is a built-in dual 'winch' as it has pulley's on both ends that are pulled together just as the barrel is pulled up the ramp, but it has large hooks on both ends which seem to *reflect the function of a single, ratcheted line such as Ron's 'capstan'.

Welcome aboard, dellfarmer!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
up heah, we don't likely go out during mud season without the come-along...

formerly known as etaoin...
D
dnes Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
If I recall correctly, the definition claimed it was an "apparatus". However, the illustration suggested that it was more of a method for pulling a barrel up a ramp using some rope. I've attempted to recreate the illustration as an animated gif...sorry for the shaky camera :) The gif is at http://nd.com.ru/pullramp.gif

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here ya go, dnes. See what I mean?
http://nd.com.ru/pullramp.gif

[*wink]

[*blue]Piece of cake![*/blue]

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dnes: Your gif looks like a special case of a winch.
My impression of it is, though, that it would have a rather small mechanical advantage. And the pull on the rope would not be kept centered, so that the barrel would tip sidewise and could not be controlled.

If I remember after more than sixty years since I had a first year physics course, mechanical advantage is ratio of force time distance traveled operator's hand, divided by force (weight) times distance traveled by object. In the case of the barrel, the ratio is one. The barrel will move up the slope pi times D, when rope is moved pi times D, so there is no mechanical advantage. The slope is one of the basic machines, so force require to move barrel up the slope is less than force required to lift barrel vertically.
But in practice, it could not be assumed that the barrel would not simply slip and rotate in place.Just a dolley would be better than just the rope.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith