Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
From IMDb:

'Titanic' Voted Worst Film Ever
Titanic may be the biggest box-office hit of all time, but in Britain it may also be the most despised film of all time. The 1997 film was voted worst film ever by viewers of the BBC show Film 2003 with Jonathan Ross. In second place was Steven Spielberg's sci-fi drama A.I. Rounding out the top five were: Pearl Harbor, Vanilla Sky, and The Blair Witch Project.

Excellent!

veteran
veteran

I've never seen Blair Witch, Pearl Harbor, or Titanic - they just don't seem interesting to me.

But I liked AI and Vanilla Sky. What can I say? I have no taste.

k

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have nothing against AI or Vanilla Sky, it was only the first placegetter that pleased me - my purpose in life is to make it to my grave without having seen it.

#115404 11/06/03 11:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If they think Titanic was worse than The Blair Witch Project they didn't watch either very closely. If they think those two are in the top five, they either haven't seen very many movies or they have extremely peccable taste.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...my purpose in life is to make it to my grave without having seen it.

I'm right behind you if you need support, Max. The last movie I saw in the theatre was opening day for "American Beauty", and only because a local critic *panned it...

#115406 11/07/03 01:22 PM
old hand
old hand
David et al

(Rant programme initialised.

Go.)

I'm Brit and I'm proud of the first place choice. I suspect the point is not really about the worst feature film ever (Ed Wood's Plan 9 from outer space is still in pole position for that - I've seen it and know this for a fact), but about the most overhyped. My favourite, for instance, in the sphere of literature - most over-rated novel of all time: Wuthering Heights.

To that extent, I think Titanic has to take the palm. I managed to avoid watching it for a long time until, stuck in a small town in Ohio one day, I had to catch it on video, or ritually kill the two cats and the budgie. So Titanic it was and, of all the appalling bits, of course, the worst was Heartwheel. I'd avoided the song for ages on radio and elsewhere, but when Canada's worst ever export (and I'm sorry, my Canadian friends - but after Neil Young and even Bryan Adams, did you really think you'd stockpiled enough goodwill to inflict this upon us?), starts going "Nee... faaaa.... wher AIvuh u aaa [dum dum dum, and then the awful exhortation] my heartwheel, go on..." my heart quails within me. Why does this blasted woman want to get rid of her heartwheel, and what does that have to do with Kate Winslet?

I'm sorry if you consider this peccable, but no - Titanic won about 2million Oscars, and not even one of them was deserved. So there.

(Rant over.)

cheer

the sunshine "I preferred Brief Encounter" warrior

#115407 11/07/03 02:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most overrated doesn't equate to worst. My choice would be Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Whatever you may say about Plan 9 from Outer Space it wasn't too long for itself. Attack… would have made a pretty good 20 minute spoof. At 87 minutes it wore itself out very early.

But hey, de gustibus non carborundum est, as I always say.

#115408 11/07/03 02:54 PM
M
addict
addict
M
heartwheel...... In fact, i can't stop....

Have watched the movie. No need for further comment, I suppose; with that statement, I have already been hanged, drawn and quartered.

V
V
it was only the first placegetter that pleased me - my purpose in life is to make it to my grave without having seen it .

at last. somebody is saying "I've never seen it but I think it 's awful". how do you know? how one can have an opinion without seeing at least 10 minutes of a movie? personally, I think that "Saving private Ryan" and "Gladiator" are awful. But I endured the whole length of the latter and 20 minutes of the former, I hope I can say [bold]why [/bold] I don't like it.

Titanic is appalling as well.

And I have nothing to say about AI or Vanilla Sky.

#115410 11/07/03 04:27 PM
old hand
old hand
Thank goodness my intentional mondegreen was not interpreted as a genuine mis-hearing.

Thanks Maahey.

And Faldage - you may well favour the Killer Tomatoes over the fake Bela Lugosi, and there is no abrading taste, no doubt, but most of us will have obscure films we know of, but they are unlikely to make lists purely on account of their obscurity. I mean, for goodness' sakes, I grew up in India - you think anyone brought up on a diet of Bollywood films doesn't have about 15 nominees that outshine any crap Hollywood has ever produced?

I agree that overhyped or over-rated is not the same as worst - but these are cultural lists and we probably need a shared vocabulary here - movies we could all be expected to have seen, or heard of, that truly aren't worth it. Films we were peer-pressured into watching that were truly a waste of our lives. Particularly the art-house ones we watched to be with 'intellectual' girlfriends. (Come to think of it, I think Ingmar Bergman is probably the worst director ever, from that point of view - never have I felt more like giving up on life than during Cries and whispers, unless it was during Fanny and Alexander. I can do arthouse with some of the best of them. I loved Wajda. I thoroughly loved the Werner Herzog festival. But Bergman sucks the life force out of me. He is the Darth Vader of cinema.)

Oh dear. I'm not sure why it is this topic has brought out my inner ranter. Apologies to all for my curmudgeonly intemperance.

the sunshine "You have suffered until you've seen Zehreela insaan" warrior

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith