Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#114876 11/04/03 10:01 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ever the prescriptivist, I wouldn't dare post a reference to a site that began "The Earth is not a perfect sphere. Due to it's rotation..."

And this is a Regents examination preparatory center, no less (though not affiliated with the NYS Board of Regents).

Copyright © 1999-2003 Oswego City School District Regents Exam Prep Center
...RegentsPrep and StudyZone are FREE educational resources.

I guess you get what you pay for.

#114877 11/05/03 12:00 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Good for you, Wof'!!!

So, do we take everything they write as being inaccurate because they weren't paying attention to their possessive case personal pronouns? (I am being absurd here, for the record.)

#114878 11/05/03 02:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw that, wofa. [head-shaking e] Maybe he was indoctrinated by that Save the Apostrophe guy...

#114879 11/05/03 02:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wouldn't dare post a reference

ow! ow! ok! hey, ok! ow! I've learned my lesson! ow! hey, stop with the noodle, awright?

formerly known as etaoin...
#114880 11/05/03 07:41 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Don't you know the difference between a noodle and a bus ticket yet? No wonder they stopped Concorde. You can take only so much pollution ...

#114881 11/06/03 11:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Psst, CK--check Weekly Themes.

#114882 11/09/03 05:05 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jeez! I leave for awhile and everything goes pear shaped!

Here's what I was taught in Catholic school:
All Hallows is an old way of saying All Saints
(Hallowed-Holy)
All Hallows Eve is the evening before All Saints Day on Nov. 1st - hence October 31st - All Hallows Eve - becomes Halloween.
Even OED agrees with me ... those clever devils!
As for The Day of the Dead - here's what I Googled:
The original celebration can be traced to the festivities held during the Aztec month of Miccailhuitontli, ritually presided by the goddess Mictecacihuatl ("Lady of the Dead"), and dedicated to children and the dead. The rituals during this month also featured a festivity dedicated to the major Aztec war deity, Huitzilopochtli ("Sinister Hummingbird"). In the Aztec calendar, this ritual fell roughly at the end of the Gregorian month of July and the beginning of August, but in the postconquest era it was moved by Spanish priests so that it coincided with the Christian holiday of All Hallows Eve (in Spanish: "Día de Todos Santos,") in a vain effort to transform this from a "profane" to a Christian celebration. The result is that Mexicans now celebrate the day of the dead during the first two days of November, rather than at the beginning of summer, but remember the dead they still do, and the modern festivity is characterized by the traditional Mexican blend of ancient aboriginal and introduced Christian features.
Generalizing broadly, the day's activities consist of visits by families to the graves of their close kin. At the gravesites family members engage in sprucing up the gravesite, decorating it with flowers, setting out and enjoying a picnic, and interacting socially with other family and community members who gather at the cemetary. Families remember the departed by telling stories about them. The meals prepared for these picnics are sumptuous, usually featuring meat dishes in spicy sauces, a special egg-batter bread, cookies, chocolate, and sugary confections in a variety of animal or skull shapes. Gravesites or family altars are profusely decorated with flowers (primarily large, bright flowers such as marigolds and crysanthemums), and adorned with religious amulets and (in smaller villages) with offerings of food, cigarettes and alcoholic beverages. Because of this warm social environment, the colorful setting, and the abundance of food, drink and good company this conmmemoration of the dead has pleasant overtones for most observers, in spite of the open fatalism exhibited by all participants, whose festive interaction with living and dead in an important social ritual is a way of recognizing the cycle of life and death that is human existance.

You can read the whole thing at http://
www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad/scmfaq/muertos.html

Sounds like an exuberant version of our Memorial Day!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith