Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113951 10/21/03 02:12 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The Ghostly One's recentest entry in the WA IV thread gave me such a weird association that I couldn't put it there. His word was "tarp", and for some reason my mind flashed to "-entine", as in turpentine, not tarpentine. But that got me to thinking of other weird things, more or less associated with it. Firstly, that my son has heard the word tarp so often that he literally did not know what I meant when I referred to a tarpaulin. And then, wouldn't it be neat if tarpentine were really a word? Maybe it could be used to describe anything sinuous and flat! And then, that maybe tarp is onomatopoeic (darn it, one of the rare words I mis-spell (hi, Anna!)): it does sound kind of "tarpish" when you snap it during the unfolding. And then, the campers in the next site could holler over, "Aw, quit your tarping, won't you?"...
And why do I think turpentEYEn, but tarpentEEn?

#113952 10/21/03 03:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dear Missspell,
Does your tarp prevent tarpor?
sorry - this is my first time...O

Owlbow

#113953 10/21/03 03:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
--good stuff Jackie!
i went and looked up tarpaulin and turpentine.. and while the dictionary doesn't have as straight line connection... they do seem to share a root!
All in green courtesy of American heratige Dictionary

starting with TARPAULIN
1. Material, such as waterproofed canvas, used to cover and protect things from moisture. 2. A sheet of this material.
ETYMOLOGY: Probably alteration of tar1 + pall1 + –ing2.

which leads us to the 3 root words of tarpaulin--

tar1

PRONUNCIATION: tär
NOUN: 1. A dark, oily, viscous material, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons, produced by the destructive distillation of organic substances such as wood, coal, or peat. 2. Coal tar. 3. A solid residue of tobacco smoke containing byproducts of combustion.

Middle English, from Old English teru. See deru- in Appendix I.
(i didn't copy all the meaning of deru, just one.. if you want more, here is the link)
http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE87.html
deru
6. Variant form *derw-. tar1, from Old English te(o)ru, resin, pitch (obtained from the pine tree), from Germanic *terw-.

Look at that! the tar of tarpauline is from te(o)ru, a word used for resin, pitch... and what is turpentine?
1. A thin volatile essential oil, C10H16, obtained by steam distillation or other means from the wood or exudate of certain pine trees and used as a paint thinner, solvent, and medicinally as a liniment. Also called oil of turpentine, spirit of turpentine. 2. The sticky mixture of resin and volatile oil from which turpentine is distilled. 3. A brownish-yellow resinous liquid obtained from the terebinth.
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: tur·pen·tined, tur·pen·tin·ing, tur·pen·tines
1. To apply turpentine to or mix turpentine with. 2. To extract turpentine from (a tree).
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, resin of the terebinth, from Old French terebentine, from Latin terebinthina (rsna), terebinth (resin), from Greek terebinthin, feminine of terebenthinos, from terebinthos, terebinth tree.

which doesn't lead to deru... but one wonders... two words that sounded similar, and experienced a cross over?

Both tar and turpentine are resins extracted from pine trees. there is no clear connection (sited at this source but is there more? how did the terebinth tree get its name? (is it terebinth tree in greek or is tree redundant? is tere a 'word stem' for 'resin tree'?

turps, is tree resin, as is tar, and tar gives use tarpaulin.. (where did the P of turpentine sneek in?) stolen from tarpaulin? --are turps and tarps closer cousins than this dictionary indicates? tantalizing isn't it?

interesting how words echo throught time.. (like ghosts!)

(i managed not to capture info about pall, its related to a cloth covering (as for the dead), as in pall bearers-- ing as in dancing is pretty well known.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome to the board, Owlbow.

I get the impression frum yer handle we'll be gettin' alota "nudge, nudge - wink, wink - say no more" owta you...

... and should that be "Misssspell"?

#113955 10/21/03 04:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
owlbow-- i checked your profile.. i loved your location
Western Rhode Island, US -- never much though of Rhode Island being so big as to need being divided into eastern/western parts..

the joke i like best about RI is it has (X(forget the total for the state)counties at low tide, but only 3 at high tide...

english spelling has nothing (or at least very little) to do with loving words or their meaning..

#113956 10/21/03 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
english spelling has nothing (or at least very little) to do with loving words or their meaning..

T'ain't not much to do with n'merican spellin neither!

#113957 10/22/03 01:59 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Does your tarp prevent tarpor? Ha! Good one! A hearty welcome aBoard to you, Owlbow. Actually, I'm tarporous most of the time...

Sincerely,

Miss Spell :-)

I agree, musick--I'll be on the lookout for sharp jabs from this one!

Helen--I can't believe it--there is a connection between the 2 "words"--thank you! I'm just--astounded, yet again, by our language. (And, I'm glad your post wasn't appalling! )

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks musick,
I won't have as much time to play here as I would like, but it looks like a place for reasonable respectable folk, but not too much so I hope.
I didn't think of that boney angle angle.
There is a Barred owl on my (his) land that serenades me and offers sage advice. (I grow a small variety of sages in my gardens.)
I want the inscription "Rainbow Predictor" on my tombstone, urn or in my obit. That's where I got the name Owlbow.
I don't know about Miss Spell ('tis the season), but I work with a Ms. Anne Throp.

Owlbow

#113959 10/22/03 01:07 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yo H,
I grew up in Pearl River, NY, ~30 mi. from the GWB, so I know how to talk wrong.
Being a bit lexdysic myself, I've found that the affliction helps me better understand the small bits that make up the words of our language.
To be a little more precise, I live in West-central RI. A literal stone's throw from CN, on 5 acres of rocks and swamp.
There are 5 (Does Block Island make 6?) counties in RI and they've all been under water since early Spring.
Thanks for the welcome.
Spell check and MS Thesaurus are my friends here at work, where I don't have access to real reference books. They help me say what I meant.
Ex. college not collage, angel/angle
take care, O

Owlbow

#113960 10/23/03 02:00 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Both tar and turpentine are resins extracted from pine trees. there is no clear connection (sited at this source but is there more? how did the terebinth tree get its name? (is it terebinth tree in greek or is tree redundant? is tere a 'word stem' for 'resin tree'?

The LSJ on Perseus gives the oldest form of the word as terminthos: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q25513E46

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith