Print Thread
#112594 09/23/03 06:24 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The text doesn't use this word, which refers to penalties for wearing finery. The preceding chapter described some women being fined for wearing jewelry, or other expensive adornments.
"They wore neither rings nor gold crosses, and it was easy to see that, in their ease, this did not proceed from poverty, but simply from fear of being fined. "

Here's a URL about sumptuary laws:
http://renaissance.dm.net/sumptuary/

WindowsXP won't let me make the URL clickable.

I am completely ignorant about econonmics. But I think that part of the reason for the sumptuary laws was that so much money went out of the country to buy such foreign luxuries that there was actually a chronic shortage of the coin necessary for governemental expenditures.

#112595 09/23/03 09:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
crocheting, a relatively new 'neeedlework craft' was born out of sumptuary laws. some of the sumptuary laws regulated who could wear lace, and how much. (especially the laws of England and France, since much of the best lace was imported from Brussels, Spain and Italy)

but like modern day drug laws, they outlawed real lace, (usually made from silk and sometimes from silk and linen), not copy cats.

crochet, sometimes called 'lace made in the air', can mimic real lace (nowdays called pillow lace because it is constructed from bobbins of thread, held in place by pins on a 'pillow' when being constructed), but was ususally exempted--because it was a) cotton, and b)locally made, not imported.

crocheting became a popular craft almost over night. Irish lace, is one of the few remaining examples of style of fine cotton lace that can be made with crochet. It got its start in the 1840, when nuns from france taught it to irish girls, as a mean for them to earn money during the time of the famine. Crochet was much more popular in france than it ever was in england.

nowdays, very few people crochet with the super fine (sewing thread weight) cotton used for irish lace.
(thread are measured by a number, the higher the number, the finer the thread. most crochet cotton today is size 10, some is size 30 or 40, irish crochet uses size 80!
(embroidery thread (all six strands together) is size 5)

#112596 09/23/03 09:32 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, of troy. I remember my grandmother doing something called "tatting", that produced something a bit like crocheting. Please comment on that as an encore.

#112597 09/23/03 11:46 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's another quote from a later chapter:
"My dear," continued Fleur-de-Lys, with decided sharpness, "You will get yourself taken up by the sumptuary police for your gilded girdle."

#112598 09/24/03 01:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, i sort of know how to tat, but i don't know anything much about the craft. its very old.

tatting, and net making (as in fishing nets) are the same 'knots' and same technique. even the shuttle used in tatting looks like the shuttle used in net making, only its all smaller. Usually tatting is not done in big sheets (but i do have a pair of tatted gloves!) but in narrow bands, that are closed into loops or rings, and these are knotted together (with the same stitch as use to knot the egde of a fish net!) to create lace.

i don't really know anyone who tats, and i found it slow going (but i did make a collar and cuffs once) but i have read that good tatters can go quite fast. nowdays, the only place one sees tatting is as a fill in word in a crossword puzzle (current editor uses lace=tat all the time
-----------------------------------------------------------
but sumptuary laws also gave us 'the bonfires of the vanities', in case you ever wondered where that phrase came from.

#112599 09/24/03 05:23 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Here is an article on sumptuary laws in Greece and Rome:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X27E32DF5

And here's Cato the Elder's speech against the repeal of the Lex Oppia, passed as an economy measure in the war against Hannibal.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U28E25DF5

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,375
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,563
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith