About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Flipping pages in my Chambers dictionary last night, this headword caught my eye:
mandylion
n a loose outer garment worn e.g by soldiers over their armour (also mandilion) (hist); (with cap) the name of the cloth supposed to bear the imprint of the face of Jesus.

V
vbq Offline
journeyman
journeyman
V
the name of the cloth supposed to bear the imprint of the face of Jesus

Jackie, I thought that was the "Shroud of Turins".

veteran
veteran

The Shroud of Turin.

These are two separate things. The Shroud is about twice the length of a body and has a representation of the front and back of the body, having been folded over the head. The Shroud first showed up around 1357 in Lirey, France. It was carbon-dated a few years back (more than 10, less than 15) and determined to be right about that age. The dating was done by 3 different noted labs using several samples for each. All labs reported the same date. It was very common in that period for people to sell "pieces of the cross," "nails from the cross," "the hair of Jesus" and that sort of thing. It has been claimed that there is human blood on the shroud, but none of the tests were specific to human blood. Additionally, it would make sense that a person making a fake would use real blood.

In any case, many people continue to believe it is christ's burial shroud, regardless of the evidence against it. They insist that fires in buildings where the shroud was kept messed up the dating. This doesn't explain why the "screwed up" date just happens to be the exact time period when the shroud made its first appearance. I suspect the true believers have many imaginative ways to explain away any contrarian evidence.

Anyway, it's not the same thing.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just imagine if they'd had E-Bay back then

#109246 08/19/03 02:08 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
mandylion

I thought she was the sister of Dandy Lion?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith