Print Thread
#107367 07/11/03 12:26 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm reading R.H.Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast". He says he had to sleep in the "steerage". I don't see how that space was given its name, as I see no connection to the actual steering of the ship. Etymology doesn't help.
steer (v.) - "guide the course of a vehicle," O.E. steran (Mercian), stieran (W.Saxon), from P.Gmc. *steurijanan, probably from *steuro "rudder" (source of O.E. steor "helm, rudder"). Steerage (1399) was the steering apparatus of a ship before the introduction of the deck wheel; meaning "section of a ship with the cheapest accommodations" first recorded 1804
The furthest aft portion of sailing ships, where the steering apparatus was located belonged exclusively to the officers. The crew were restricted to spaces "before the mast."
Who can explain this to me?

#107368 07/11/03 02:11 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Sorry I can't help you, wwh, but it makes me wonder, where a steer got *its name from? you can trust me to complicate matters always....

...shall tend to these important matters this weekend, if somebody hasn't already been here by then....

#107369 07/11/03 02:34 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear maahey: see the second word:
steer 1
vt.
5ME steren < OE stieran, akin to Ger steuern, ON styra < IE *steur3, a support, post (> Gr stauros, ON staurr, post) < base *sta3, to STAND6
1 to guide (a ship or boat) by means of a rudder
2 to direct the course or movement of !to steer an automobile"
3 to oversee, direct, or guide !to steer a team to victory"
4 to set and follow (a course)
vi.
1 to steer a ship, automobile, etc.
2 to be steered or guided !a car that steers easily"
3 to set and follow a course or way
n.
>[Colloq.] a suggestion on how to proceed; tip
steer clear of to avoid
steer4a[ble
adj.

steer 2
n.
5ME ster < OE steor, akin to Ger stier < IE *steu-ro (> MPers stor, horse, draft animal) < base *sta3, to STAND6
1 any castrated male cattle
2 loosely, any male cattle raised for beef

There are goodam few uncastrated male bovines raised for meat. They eat more and meat is tough. If you had one, you'd have trouble getting it slaughtered, and nobody would want it.

#107370 07/11/03 10:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i always thought a castrated cow (male, obviously) was an oxen.

how is it we didn't cover this subject when we covered cow/cows/cattle?

what is the difference between a steer and an ox?

Here in eastern US, we tend to have cows exclusively (dairy) so there are few males about, castrated or otherwise. which is why the plural of cow becomes cows.-- not cattle. All you see are she's!

#107371 07/11/03 11:49 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: Selective breeding has made very marked differences between dairy cattle and beef cattle. You'd go broke trying to sell meat from dairy animals, or milk from beef animals. Peculiarly there is an important difference between dairy bulls and beef bulls. My uncle, a dairyman, warned me in very strong terms, never to trust a dairy bull, which may attack savagely with no warning. So I was horrified when we went to a beef farm to see a bull to have my daughters beef cow bred. The girl who owned the bull came up out of the pasture riding on the bull's back. When I questioned her, she told me about the difference.We later owned a big Herford bull, and he was a gentle lovable pet.But I later met a dairyman horribly disfigured by one of his bulls because he go carelss. With artifical insemination, few dairfarmers want to have the problems of keeping a bull.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith