Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>..because I *still don't get your point.

okay. I usually remain mute on these thorny issues, mostly because the point is so often moot, but.

As I understand this one, Faldage is saying that when I drove my car to be serviced this morning (as, it happens, I did), whether I should have said 'bring' or 'take' when I duly informed my spouse depended on whether I (1) intended to wait in the customer lounge [not longue] so that I wouldn't have to come back, or (2) arranged for other transportation and left my car there for the interim. To this I say, again borrowing from CK's lexicon (he's not here to notice anyway), "Codswallop!"

I think there's some rational thought behind my saying this: there's no way my spouse would (or should) know my intent merely from my choice of 'bring' or 'take'. If I had wanted her to think I might need a ride, I better damn well have mentioned that I didn't want to wait for them to finish with my car.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
don't bring it on if you can't take it.

formerly known as etaoin...
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>because I *still don't get your point.

Neither do I. My post dealt exclusively with one issue - does it come back or not? Anything else is absolutely irrelevant to the point of my post, and yet both of Faldage's responses focus, solely, it seems to me, on the "anything else". A simple yes or no answer was all that was needed to address the issue I raised, but I didn't get one.

M
addict
addict
M
whether I should have said 'bring' or 'take' when I duly informed my spouse depended on whether I (1) intended to wait in the customer lounge [not longue] so that I wouldn't have to come back, or (2) arranged for other transportation and left my car there for the interim.

Not necessarily (to my mind). The usage, appears to depend on, WHO one is talking with.

Three people: Ann, Bob (Ann's husband) and Jo (mechanic).
Ann - Bob: I am takingthe car to the mechanic.
Ann - Jo: I am bringing the car in.
(If Bob decides to meet Ann at the mechanic's place and give her a ride back home..)
Ann - Bob: I shall bring the car in to Jo's at five and meet you there.

As I understand, whilst using bring, there must be a one on one communication between people, one of whom at the very least (either speaker or addressee), is at the location that bring is moving 'towards'. Whether we choose to use bring, or, take, is fluid, dependant on the speaker/ addressee perspective.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
maahey, I don't think I disagree with any of that, but I don't think it addresses the point that sjm was trying to make with Faldage either. I know that I'm going to butt back out now.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Don't worry about, tsuwm. I 've given up.

#105992 06/21/03 09:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I 've given up

So have I.

#105993 06/22/03 10:49 AM
M
addict
addict
M
Well, if everyone's hopping on wow's bus, i'l pack me bags too. Good fun, though!

#105994 06/22/03 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what do I need to bring on the bus? should I take a number?

formerly known as etaoin...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Leaving aside the various corollary meanings of both take and bring, if you look at the words in their original senses it seems quite straight forward.

Bring has a sense of immediacy and target-orientation by the speaker "I'll bring some booze." is something you would say to the person whose place you are intending to invade. "I'll take some booze." implies that the action is not going to be immediate (although, of course, it can be), and that you are not talking to someone at the target location. I might say to meine Frau: "I'm going to Jim's place and I'm taking some booze.", but I would never say to her "I'm going to Jim's place and I'm bringing some booze." But I would say to Jim "I am coming to your place and I'm bringing some booze." Note also that the verb in the main clause changed as well, "come/go".

It's one of those quirky things which allows us to easily distinguish between native speakers of English and people who learned it as a second language. Oh, and some Americans who don't know the difference.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith