About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, you take the bus and we'll continue the discussion.

What this all boils down to, I guess, is point of view. Maybe, if Geoff Nunberg ever decides a date for the next AWAD chat, we could throw this one at him?

M
addict
addict
M
bring, entailing movement towards you

Exactly. This is in that fuzzy area where it depends on the point of view.

Faldage, i will begin by agreeing with your comment on what the 'right' answer should be. I got carried away with sharing my a-ha! experience with Bingley, when he probably just needed the confirmation that you provided. I am assuming (?rightly) that the question here is the one in the getitwrite site!?

But the point of view is not in the 'towards'(?if this indeed is what you are saying; think i am having a bad post reading day). The movement association with bring, is, towards and with take, is, from. The point of view that *could vary is whether, the comment is being made from the perspective of the speaker or the addressee.
The U Mich site had some Latin phrase for this, I can't remember..
I'll betcha wow missed her bus

old hand
old hand
Shall we bring it to a close?
No, I find it much too thrilling.
One aspect has not been brought up so far, imho: If I bring something to a place, the intention is usually to give it to, or at least share it with, others, while if I just take it with me, I normally also take it back home sooner or later.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
> If I bring something to a place, the intention is usually to give it to, or at least share it with, others, while if I just take it with me, I normally also take it back home sooner or later.

Except that the above does not hold true for the ASp's first example - if I tell my mechanic I'm bringing the car in for servicing, I damn sure want to be taking it home again.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bringing the car in for servicing

Yeahbut®, you'd hope that the mechanic *did something to it before you take it back home. And if you're *real lucky, the mechanic did something that improved its performance.

old hand
old hand
before you take it back home..
I was struggling with the temptation to add a similar remark: You abandon the car to the mechanic at least for a time.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
In reply to:

Yeahbut®, you'd hope that the mechanic *did something to it before you take it back home. And if you're *real lucky, the mechanic did something that improved its performance.

OK, spell this out nice and slowly for me please. My response to wsieber focussed on the idea that "bring" is often used to describe a situation where the thing brought is left behind, while "take" is used for situations where the thing taken is not left behind. I did not disagree, but said that, as I saw it, a case could be made for saying that the difference did not hold true for the situation I described.
Here is where I need it explained monosyllabically for me: What does the fact that the car is worked on have to do with it? I was simply, and solely, addressing the issue of whether or not the item taken somewhere was taken back again. The issue of what happened to that item is, as I see it, completely outside the parameters of my post. I look forward to being enlightened as to what I actually meant in my post.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"bring" is often used to describe a situation where the thing brought is left behind

You bring the car in and leave it there while the guy who will fix it does so and then when he is done you take it home.

There, words of one syllable. I had to change behind to there. I hope that didn't confuse you.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
What does the fact that the car is worked on have to do with it? I was simply, and solely, addressing the issue of whether or not the item taken somewhere was taken back again. The issue of what happened to that item is, as I see it, completely outside the parameters of my post.

sjm, indeed.

Maybe you better use half-syllable words for me, Faldage, because I *still don't get your point.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
You bring the car in and leave it...
I would say the opposite. I would take the car in and leave it but bring my umbrella and (hopefully) bring it home with me.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith