About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#105966 06/18/03 01:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:I don't mind bring and take being interchangeable, as long as people don't say brung instead of took!!

I agree, brung is wrong.. but how about brang?

it once was correct, and then fell out of favor (as all irregular verbs tend to do over time) but its now making a comeback..

we went to the beach, and had a great time, Helen brang an insulated pitcher of margarita's, so we had grown up lemon ade!

M
addict
addict
M
But if it had been When you come to the meeting next Friday… spoken by the same person at the same place and time, the sentence would have been correct with bring

Quite so, Faldage. ^5
I don't like brang much, oftroy; (to my ears) it has a harsh intonation for the context; maybe I am just too used to brought.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Preliminary investigations suggest that bring, brang, brung may be historically correct.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Then German interfered:

bringe, brachte, gebracht

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Turns out there were two verbs: the weak brengan, brohte, broht and the strong bringan, brangon, brungon. Apparently the strong bringan generally replaced the weak brengan. The disappearance of the n in the preterite and the past participle and the change from e to o in the weak brengan are due to sound changes that we need not go into here.

A
A
I just can't come at brang or brung, possibly because this was drummed into me as a kid and I've tried to do the same with others I meet!

and we won't go into get, got, have gotten...

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't think there's anything wrong with this sentence from the getitwrite site:

2. Since Mary has just moved to town, I will bring her with me to the luncheon on Sunday.

If I'm talking to Angela and we're both going to be at the luncheon on Sunday, why not say "I'll bring Mary with me"?

Bingley

Bingley
M
addict
addict
M
2. Since Mary has just moved to town, I will bring her with me to the luncheon on Sunday.

If I'm talking to Angela and we're both going to be at the luncheon on Sunday, why not say "I'll bring Mary with me"?
Seems kosher enough, Bingley. Remember the deixis rule the other link talked about?
With or without Angela, your being at the luncheon satisfies the rule; bring, entailing movement towards you.
If, however, both of you are going to the same luncheon, then the rule is doubly satisfied, it could be, bring 'towards' you or bring 'towards' Angela.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

bring, entailing movement towards you

Exactly. This is in that fuzzy area where it depends on the point of view. In this particular case, the point of view is either irrelevant or has been established outside of the quoted context. So the "right" answer is "I don't know which is correct" or "it doesn't matter which you use."

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Are we, perchance, taking this matter too far?
Shall we bring it to a close?
;-)galumping off into the sunset and I'll tote my lunch with me!)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith