Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Merciful heavens, I cannot imagine why anyone would want anything I go to that requires a password. Geez.

J
J
<<<well that is one advantage of the newer windows OS's they require you to press 'cont +alt +del" (contol/alt/delete) to get to log in screen.. and since cont/alt/delete can not be done remotely, (the combo is used because it is in effect a hardware switch, not a software one) no one can get to your log in remotely..>>>

I always assumed it was done to irritate people who have an arm missing....

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
well that is one advantage of the newer windows OS's they require you to press 'cont +alt +del" (contol/alt/delete) to get to log in screen.. and since cont/alt/delete can not be done remotely, (the combo is used because it is in effect a hardware switch, not a software one) no one can get to your log in remotely..>>>

I always assumed it was done to irritate people who have an arm missing....

I can't speak for Windows XP, but at least in Windows 2000 Pro, it does not require one to use C-A-D to login. It offers it as an option, and strongly recommends that one use the option, but it definitely does not require it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Sunday NYTimes Magazine section had an article yesterday, about the dangers of wireless networks, and how for $40, with a Palm PDA you could hack many networks.

NYC has several parks set up as wireless networks. (Bryant Park, on 6th Ave, behind the main library is one) any one can sit in the park, and work online with laptop, but as the article makes clear, they do so at their own risk.

the guy found he could pick up wireless networks 2 blocks away with the software. the guy was a network security guy, and he was checking out a clients site, not hacking, but basicly, he had turned his hacking into a career opportunity-- by finding flaws in wireless network security, he could then sell solutions.

interesting reading...

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
ctrl/alt/delete = cad
OED says :"An unbooked passenger taken up by a coach driver for his own profit" also " a vulgar ill-bred person; a person guilty or capable of ungentlemanly behaviour; a blackguard!"

B
old hand
old hand
B
I cannot imagine why anyone would want anything I go to that requires a password

This is why I have a few "throwaway passwords" for things where my identity is not at real risk - like AWAD, or the NY Times. Then when I'm stumped and can't remember them, I only have to try three or four "standard" ones. Then I have some "decent" passwords which are nonsense strings (for which I've created mnemonics) that regularly get rotated for more private stuff (such as my Unix accounts at school, Hotmail, etc.).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith