About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#10518 11/29/00 02:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Check out two : Saving Ned Devine and Saving Grace.

I know this breaks up the synergy somewhat, but in the interest of Saving folks some searching, the former should actually be 'Waking Ned Devine' (still a Great flim).

#10519 11/29/00 08:51 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I sit bleary-eyed and chastened. Saving Ned Devine it is.
Anyone have light-hearted suggestions? I've had my fill of movies-with-a-message. Who was it said "If you want to send a message call Western Union?" He never heard of this super group, that's fer shure.
For anyone who likes mystery stories and puns, I just found the author Paul Engleman who wrote "The Man With My Name" and "The Man With My Cat" featuring the hero Phil Moony. Phil is Phull of puns in two languages (US and Italian) You will get the Phull joke if you read the book. Christmas comes!
wow

#10520 11/29/00 09:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wow asks: "Anyone have light-hearted suggestions?"

And the Vicar, always ready to assist, recommends Penélope Cruz in "Woman on Top" -- a fairy tale, sweet, funny, with no particular message and great, really great Brazillian music.

#10521 11/29/00 09:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>...should actually be "Waking Ned Devine"
>I sit bleary-eyed and chastened. Saving Ned Devine it is.

::smacking forehead with open palm:: now you're trying to make *me bleary-eyed!

#10522 12/01/00 01:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Fr. Steve

Back to your original question.

A compositor is a type setter; he or she used a composing stick, which has a capacity to hold one line of type. The good compositors never took their eyes off the copy, and their grabbing hands unerringly found the correct compartment and inserted the type without looking at it. The end of the type opposite the letter had a little hook or ell-shape on it so the compositor could set it into the stick without looking at it.

But how does that become compositing (and what IS compositing.)

This URL http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs248-95/comp/comp.html leads you to a set of lecture notes on compositing. Much if it's beyond my ken, but there is a definition of digital compositing, and it's apparently a computer graphics term.

Compositing appears likely to me to be a back-formation from compositor.

TEd
#10523 12/01/00 01:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Tswum :
Smacking forehead, rattling brains, sound causes Waking! Waking! Waking! That's what I've got to do and stop wording late at night. Honest to heaven I actually previewed and read that post. Arrrgggghhhhh!
Father Steve : Thanks for the suggestion. Title a bit off-putting but I will trust the Vicar.
wow

#10524 12/01/00 05:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This thread began with a question about the use of the word "compositing" in film credits. From there, without answering the question, the thread veered through some thoughts about British politics, trade unionism, burglary (and interesting transition from unionism to burlgary), the importance of reading the credits as they scroll by at the end of the movie, out-takes from movies, to recommendations of movies fit for adults.

Then came the saviour: TEd. He referred us to a website where the class notes for a study of electronic editing are posted, which reveals the following:

"Compositing: A method for combining two or more images in a way that approximates the intervisibility of the scenes that gave rise to those images. Ideally, the combined image looks exactly like the image that would have arisen fom combining the scenes."

I rather thought this had something to do with arranging the little white letters in the credits; I was quite wrong. I have learned a new thing, thanks to TEd's willingness to return to the original question.

[I'm also trying to think of a way to use "intervisibility" in conversation.)

#10525 12/01/00 06:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you could work this easily into a surveying conversation. conventional surveying requires intervisible (mutually visible) surveying stations; GPS methods do not require intervisibility.

#10526 12/01/00 06:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been watching this thread with interest as a tradesman printer from, well let us say many years ago. The trade has just about vanished, "thanks" to computers. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I sometimes say.

The word "compositing" was never, ever used in the trade (at least here in NZ). You "made up" or "composed" pages, you didn't "composite" them. The chief sub-editor of the newspaper I worked for would be spinning in his grave if he had ever heard such an abomination.

The computer "industry" has a lot to answer for, not least the new, Germanic approach to linguistic usage and word formation. And my wife has just come into the room, so I guess we're now intervisible ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#10527 12/01/00 09:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know what a compositor does but I suspect that if someone were credited as a composer the average movie goer would think that the person was involved in the creation of the music. This is probably not what a compositor does so to call a compositor a composer would be misleading at best.

BTW, I ran this through the spell checker; it wanted to make compositor into compost and when I fumble-fingered goer to gpoer it wanted to make that grab.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 765 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith