Carpal Tunnel
uh,

er,

umm,

oh wow…

formerly known as etaoin...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Unfortunately, from the looks of things, at least some of it may be mine, however.

A trip to the Tate Modern is enough to convince you that things have gone too far in the art world. My company sponsors events at the Modern, not one of which I would cross the street for.

The Turner Prize is a standing joke here. Moulded faeces seems to be the flavour of the day, to abuse a term. I just think it's a load of sh.. - er, oh, well, it is!

Damn.

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Nice link, sjm. I hope this is just the outer fringe of what's going on in the art world over here. You know, like the survey results at each end of the graph that get discounted when you write up the results; but it could just be disguised unemployment.

I liked the part where it says:

...several other works of art ... including ... ''locking himself in a derelict house and remodeling it using stuffed preserved albino animals, crematorium ash cans, vinyl lettering and talcum powder.''

In other words, he trashed the place.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I looked, but I couldn't see anywhere that he had received his training at the Led Zeppelin Hotel Room Redecorating School ....

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
The really frightening part is that at one time Monet couldn't get his paintings hung in a gallery because they were too innovative, radical and "NOT ART." Just think, someday cans of faeces and empty rubbish bags will be mainstream and the innovative art will be . . . I don't want to think about it!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Can't resist digging up an old thread here:
Art or Phart...?!

(http://makeashorterlink.com/?H22231BB4)

EDIT: Yeah, I know it was my own post but I couldn't resist asking the question... sorry!

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Does this sort of "art" sponsorship only happen in the UK? Or are there institutions here in the US that we could apply to? I mean, we could all quit our dayjobs and just blow up trash bags. (Or since that has already been done, how about an exhibit of Ziploc bags filled with air to represent the emptiness of our lives???)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:Does this sort of "art" sponsorship only happen in the UK?

I should say not! we NYer's are as 'cultured' as our cousins across the pond.. i remember the show a few years ago, at the Whitney, "Chewed Lard" the exhibt had a 3 foot cube of lard, (well not quite 3 foot cube,) and next to it, a pile of "chewed lard" -lard that had been masticated and spit out..

some of the lard was form into 'art objects' (like a woman's lipstick.)

and two years ago, Rudy decided to take on US constitution, over an art exhibit.. this one featured pictures of a modonna, with aspect of christian symbolism, that had been further decorated by cow manure. (rudy took offence on behave of all NY's- the exhibit was at a museum that recieves public money/Brooklyn Museum)

and really as bad as these 'art' exhibits were, i have traveled, and some of what passes for art in small museums in rural/remote part of the country are worse.. even if they are more tasteful. it not as if you can't have good art in nebraska, (car henge proves it) but in general, you don't.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I went to a very counter-cultural opening in a small arthouse in Atlanta a few weeks back and one of the "pieces" was just a table full of junk. Broken bottles, old rusty nails, etc. But the difference is, NO ONE was interested in buying it. The only comments I heard that evening were ones of derision. troy, did anyone at the lard exhibit look at it and say things like, "Oh how brilliant?" or That's amazing? BTW... how many posts do I need to make before I am no longer a stranger?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith