About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10119 12/18/00 06:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NicholasW quoth: You can customize it. Roughly: Tools, Options, Grammar tab, Settings, Relative Clauses checkbox. Turn that off and it stops pissing about with that and which. You can probably amuse yourself turning off lots of other things too.

Yes, and you'll find that your computer runs considerably faster. The grammar checker uses a varying amount of RAM, but seems to sit around 5Mb. Getting rid of it makes Word run more like molasses than a glacier.

You should also be aware that Microsoft bought the grammar checker from someone, can't remember who. Most people at Microsoft don't seem to be able to speak what I consider to be English at all. Read any of their technical papers for confirmation of this.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#10120 12/18/00 07:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Saint Nick ~

Could it be because I have Word for Windows 97 that my grammar tab doesn't include the option which you suggest? I just turned the whole damn thing off.

Father Steve

#10121 12/18/00 07:30 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Capital Kiwi said : Most people at Microsoft don't seem to be able to speak what I consider to be English at all. Read any of their technical papers for confirmation of this.
How true! How True! I am able to read and understand an insurance policy's fine print, and deciphering court decisions was my lot in the newsroom as I had a facility for translating legalese into plain english. However ... I have yet to learn any shortcut or system by reading and or following a Microsoft manual. It's a Magical Mystery Tour!
I have a scanner I cannot use because the directions, even when followed closely, do not produce the desired result i.e. a photo I can put in an Email!
I thought it was me until the Computer Guru/Owner at a nearby city's computer store admitted it took him three day, at home, in secret, to figure it out before he tried it at the office! And he was a programer and a hacker in the days when you had to know all that strange voodoo-hoodoo stuff to use a computer.
Harumph!
Just a chunter but I feel better!
wow

#10122 12/18/00 08:39 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

which and that

How lucky we are that the language has evolved since 1611. As Father Steve could tell you, at least we don't have to deal with 'which' vs. 'who' any more. In older English, the Lord's Prayer starts, "our Father which art in Heaven ...". I still hear this every year on Christmas Eve when I listen to the service of lessons and carols from Kings College, Cambridge.

#10123 12/19/00 02:45 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
>("There's a man came into the office the other day").

My question is :

Does the rule of that and which also apply for that and who?
"The man, who came into the office the other day, is here again."
And
"The man that came into the office the other day is here again."
Is any of the above two sentences written wrong?

#10124 12/19/00 05:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>"The man, who came into the office the other day, is here again."
And
>"The man that came into the office the other day is here again."

the clause 'came into the office the other day' is needed; i.e., is restrictive, so the second version is more correct -- leaving out the clause leaves "The man is here again." (which man?)

#10125 12/19/00 06:45 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> the clause 'came into the office the other day' is needed;

Thanks. That made it easier - just like his, hers, its.

#10126 12/19/00 12:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>"The man, who came into the office the other day, is here again."
And
"The man that came into the office the other day is here again."
Is any of the above two sentences written wrong?

Avy:

These sentences are quite different; they vary because of what the speaker intends.

In the first, the speaker makes an assumption that the listener knows who the man is, and is adding some additional information. Compare to "George, who came into the office the other day, is here again." The speaker has, for some reason, decided you need to know that George was in the office the other day. Otherwise, he would just say, "George is here again."

In the second sentence the speaker is assuming that the listener needs the information about when the person came in the office the other day in order to identify him. Compare to: "The George that came into the office the other day is here again." There is an implication that the listener knows several Georges and the speaker wants to make sure the listener has the correct one in mind.

TEd

TEd
#10127 12/19/00 09:10 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
> the clause came into the office the other day...

..., said "Ho! Ho! Ho!" and pulled some presents out of his sack.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith