Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#10055 11/10/00 10:38 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
OK, here's a couple of examples.

If you live in Manchester then London is to the South. Most people would go "down" to London.

If you live in the South East of England, regardless of whether you live to the North, South, East or West you would go "up" to London.

If you live in Edinburgh which is 50 miles (80km) to the East of Glasgow - how would you describe your journey?

#10056 11/10/00 11:30 AM
old hand
old hand
Also, if you're not a native Londoner, then you tend to describe the tube lines by their colours. No native Londoner would dream of talking about travel by the 'green' line or the 'red' line.

#10057 11/10/00 04:16 PM
X
X
In highschool, when time for Prom came around all the kids who weren't local would complain that "Prom" wasn't a proper noun and should be refered to as "the prom". We never did manage to convince them that around here, it was Prom, not the prom.

#10058 11/10/00 05:02 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
'going to the synagogue'

I think this is definitely not a red herring – it’s the original article.

You have hit on an interesting one here, Lucy, and I agree it’s an insider-type issue. I think there is a complex unspoken thought process betrayed by this simple form of words: “We go to (our place of worship) in order to partake of that community – but we could equally go to another (place of worship) as we are members of a whole network of such places; that other strange group of misguided souls go to the local (place of worship) , being the only example of this aberrant institution that has impinged on our consciousness.”

Max, an example I can offer is more of a general rural dividing style from when I lived in Kent. If I said I was going to town, it would carry a different meaning to going to the town: the latter meant the local town, the former meant going up to London.
PS - drafted before I had read your comment, jo!

But most distinctions of Maidstone usage were far cruder. A car-driver stopped me on the pavement with the request for directions to “Mason iced pill”. Had I not been local I might have been confused; as it was, I correctly deciphered this as a synonym for Kent General Opthalmic Hospital (aka Maidstone Eye Hospital)

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thank you all - I knew that there must be several examples of "insider" usage out there, and the ones you have provided are very useful. Xara, if I find myself 15 younger and attending high school in Mountain City(?)Tennessee, I shall be sure to say "Prom" in order to fit in. Shanks, if I ever find myself in London, (only marginally less unlikely), I shall scrupulously avoid referring to the Tube lines by colour. The only one I can't use is "up to London", as everybody knows that North is down!

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Shopping? Compare prices from around the web on Taumatawhakatangihangakoauau

Classic! Very funny! Her's a URL that might be a little more enlightening: http://www.fire.org.nz/regions/eastern/stations/porangahau.htm

It's about 60 kilometres as the tui flies from my home.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
As no-one dared a guess about how you get from Edinburgh to Glasgow, the answer is "through". I've never quite worked out "what" you go through to get to Glasgow but you definitely go "through" in "I'm going through to Glasgow."

#10062 11/10/00 07:11 PM
B
addict
addict
B
>If I said I was going to town, it would carry a different meaning to going to the town: the latter meant the local town, the former meant going up to London<

When I lived in Leeds (Yorkshire, northern England) 'going to town' was not used in a geographic sense, only in the sense of splashing out. We used to 'go into town' if we went to the city centre.
AS for London, I think we used to go to London. I don't recall an up or down in the phrase.

On the other hand, when I lived in Harpenden (southern UK, just north of London) and we went into the town centre, we went 'down the village'.

(As an aside, what does it mean that we talk about towns when we mean cities, and villages when we mean towns?)

#10063 11/13/00 08:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi - I've just joined this list, and I, too, was vaguely amused by Peter Ustinov's dropping of the definitive article when referring to the North Island and the South Island. It's common enough, even among people who have lived here for a long time. An ex-pat Dutchman I work with still does it. When I asked him about why he left out the "the", he replied that it a habit he formed when he first came here and had never managed to shake it off.

And, while I agree that the Maori names are mellifluous, the Maori name for the North Island - Te Ika e Maui - is a little unwieldy for everyday use, perhaps?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#10064 11/13/00 08:45 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
- Te Ika e Maui - is a little unwieldy for everyday use, perhaps?

Less so than Whanganui a Tara, no?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith