OP Offline
journeyman
S
There was an old poet named snoot,
who wrote only while on a toot-
amazingly though,
his stuff rhymed enough
and looked good on paper to boot.

(Don't encourage me, it'll only drive me to drink!)

The Lone Haranguer

The Lone Haranguer
#137126 01/14/05 03:43 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
If this is your output, I think
When your talent is driven to drink
Then drink, snoot, drink
But be sure not to drink
Yourself dry, or else it'll stink.

I'm tootin' your alehorn too, snoot.*

As themilum would say:

"That limerick has a head on it like a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer." :)

And themilum is the judge, doncha know:

Ah so, Owlbow, I have insinuated myself into being the sole judge and jury of the limericks, doggerel, and poems, posted on this thread.

* It'd be a hoot to go on a toot with snoot.

A snootful of Pabst and a rhyme
Who could ask for a better damn time!
Let's bring themilum to root*
And we'll have a rootin', tootin', snootin', good time.

* 'Cause
Themilum
Will judgem
Magnum
Cum laudem.

#137127 01/20/05 06:55 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
First place goes to...snoot, the lone Haranguer!
And Place Two goes to...Plut, the game arranger!

Each wins a magnum of Henry Red Wine which if ordered at Bottega's would cost over $90 a bottle if they had it available (they don't) which is just as well because you can get a large bottle at the Package Store for less than $10 per bottle including tax.

I will honor Plutarch's poem tonight by drinking his bottle at dinner but will save snoot's honor until January 29 when I will be touring American Cast Iron Pipe Company at nine in the morning with my friend Andy who is a cast iron pipe nut. I think that a bottle of Henry Red should smoothe out the tour, don't you? Cheers!

See. Everyone wins when I judge.

#137128 01/20/05 07:05 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
And Place Two goes to...Plut

Frankly, it is no disgrace
To win second place in this race;
Snoot was paying the shot
Shot after shot
And I never fell off the pace.

#137129 01/20/05 07:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I will be touring American Cast Iron Pipe Company at nine in the morning with my friend Andy who is a cast iron pipe nut.

your post reminds me of one of the more 'interesting' grand larcenies committed in NYC.

when the federal building was being build, several large cast iron building needed to be demolished, as is the case with any building (since Penn Station demise) people objected.

finally a compromise was reached. One building would be disassembled, and funds would be collect to have it re-erected on a new site.

well like many a cause, it lost steam. the disassembled building was stored for latter reassemble. the organize that paid for the storage was less successful in getting agreement on where and when the building should be put back together. other causes came up that demanded more time and money..
years past.

the fed's decided to build a second fedearal building (the new federal building -a political story of its own)

and more cast iron building would have to be demolished.
this awakened dorment memories of the first building, and people asked "so what happened to the first building? where is it?

interesting question.

it was 'stored' in a commercial yard.
when the committee became defunct, the storage fee's were no longer paid. the property owner tried to collect, and in the meanwhile, he ceased patoling and protecting the (to his mind) abandon property.

over time.. the cast iron dissapeared.. (junkies stole and sold it peice meal)

by the time the second federal building was being planned and build, there was nothing left.

an entire building had been stolen, and sold for scrap metal..

the political action committee, trying to save more cast iron building wwer not very successful in their attempts to save any more building..

NYC city's civic center (a block south of Federal buildings) is the heart of the cast iron district. many cast iron building remain, including the newly renovated tamminy courthouse (also a cast iron structure.. with funds allocated based on weight of material!--so cast iron painted to look like marble ended up costing 3 times as much as real marble!)but the most notable building was stolen!

Most of the cast iron use in NY was made locally (ie in NYC or NYS)--and nowdays i think most cast iron pipes end up being sewer pipes.. but they had their time of glory.

#137130 01/20/05 09:19 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

my friend Andy who is a cast iron pipe nut.

So, you can carry Andy the iron nut in your pocket?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith