Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dgeigh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This has been a stone in my shoe for a long time now. So, if you will, please help me out here. I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts and/or authoritative input on the phrase: ‘I’ve got’, as in ‘I’ve got to go to work’, or ‘I’ve got a headache’, or ‘I’ve got to get a flu shot’.

Consider the following AH definitions:

have v. t. 1a. To be in possession of 14. To be obliged to; must:

got v. past tense and past participle of ‘get’

get v. t. 1a. To come into possession or use of; receive 2a. To go after and obtain 3a. To acquire as a result of action or effort

When the words are replaced with their definitions/meanings, ‘I’ve got to go’ becomes:

I have got to go.
I ‘am in possession of’ got to go.

I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ to go. or
I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ to go.

Of the above, “I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ to go” is closest to the understood meaning of ‘I’ve got to go’, but is really nonsensical.

‘I’ve got a headache’ becomes:

I have got a headache.
I ‘am in possession of’ got a headache.

I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ a headache. or
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘went after’ a headache. or
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘acquired as a result of an action’ a headache.

“I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ a headache” is closest to the understood meaning of ‘I’ve got a headache’, but is a tautology and best, and nonsensical at worst.

‘I’ve got to get a flu shot’ becomes:

I have got to get a flu shot.
I ‘am in possession of’ got to get a flu shot.
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ to get a flu shot.

I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to come into possession of’ a flu shot. or
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to go after’ a flu shot. or
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to acquire as a result of an action’ a flu shot. or

I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to come into possession of’ a flu shot. or
I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to go after’ a flu shot. or
I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ ‘to acquire as a result of an action’ a flu shot.

Again, they’re all really nonsensical.

Wouldn’t it be clearer and more concise to say, ‘I must go’, or ‘I have a headache’, or ‘I must get a flu shot’?

I contend that the phrase ‘I’ve got’, in any form, is at its best, a tautology, and at its worst, technically unclear and grammatically incorrect.

Furthermore, consider that ‘I’ve got’ puts two transitive verbs next to each other with no action carrying over to a direct object.

‘I elect hit to go.’ Huh?

Maybe I’m just being thick here, but is this phrase grammatically correct? If ‘yes’, why?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've got to say I think it's just an idiom.

P
veteran
veteran
P
is this phrase grammatically correct?

You've got me, Dgeigh. :)

Seriously, others, who can provide "authoritative input", appear to agree with you. Here's a sample:

"Now consider the word got, which seems to be misused by many people. They say things like "I've got to go now!" and "I've got it right here." Why? Don't they realize that 'got' shouldn't be there? The infinitive (unconjugated verb) is to have. Spoken intelligently, these phrases would be "I have to go now!" and "I have it right here." There's something peculiar about this usage; if 'have', 'had', or 'has' precedes a verb, it's known as the past participle, and is said (e.g.) 'have gotten'. Even worse, sometimes have is just dropped: "I got it with me." In this usage, it seems as if the person considers got to be a synonym for have; it's actually the past tense of to get."

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I've got to admit, I always get a headache when grammatical terminology is bandied around as if it explains rather than merely describes a fact of our linguistic practice.

In most of the examples you offer I can see no possible confusion ~ eg, "i've got a headache" = "I have (possess) a headache"; "I've got to go" = "I must (am obliged) to go", and so on.

But doubtless I am being a mere clown and have misunderestimificated your confusionisation... :)

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"I've got to get a flu shot."

I must acquire a flu shot.

Seems simple to understand. However, if I actually said, "I must acquire a flu shot," my language would sound stilted once I add "...acquire a flu shot." The verb 'to get' with all its various definitions indicates that context is all, and that someone fluent in English would superimpose context automatically over usage. What is very interesting about your question is how easily we do use the verb 'to get' with immediate understanding of context with no confusion about how the verb is being used. What a marvel is the human brain to be able to make these automatic applications of the verb 'to get' without filing through various definitions or understandings in our brains to know which definition is being used. Or, even worse, that we have no need to pull out a dictionary to figure out which definition for 'to get' applies to some sentence we're hearing. The verb 'to get' is used so commonly and so often that our experience with the language guides us in understanding meaning without ever having to pick up the dictionary, yet when we do so, as you have done, how very interesting to see that one simple word has so many different, specific applications--and how, in so many different instances, should we use a different word, the sentence ends up sounding stilted, as in "I must acquire a flu shot."

I think when Maverick wrote, "terminology...merely describes a fact of our linguistic practice," he hit the nail on the head.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
These periphrastic† (how's *that for a word) verbs don't always make a whole lot of sense but are often more widespread than one might think. For example the future in to go, as in, 'I'm going to explain in a footnote what I meant by periphrastic' is common enough in English and also in the Romance languages. The same is true of using have got or just have to indicate compulsion. Spanish uses tener in the same sense.

†Periphrasis is the use of a bunch of words rather than a single inflected word. Again in Spanish one could say voy a dejar, 'I'm going to quit' instead of dejaré (1st person singular future of dejar, to quit).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
J:

I've also wondered about these phrases, though never to the extent you have, and I have always felt there was something I'm missing. You are alos missing whatever that is.

But your post made me think some more about it, and I wonder if what we have here is a case of ellipsism.

Take, for example, the sentence, "I've got to get a haircut."

Is it posible that in its entirety the sentence reads something like this: "I've gotten the obligation to get a haircut"?

Similarly, you can make more sense out of "I've got a headache" by thinking of it as the more grammatically correct: "I've gotten a headache."

It's so nice to see a post qbout words!

TEd

TEd
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
preemptive plea - please forgive me if this sounds familiar - I only scanned the other replies, as too many 'got's gave me a headache (ironically enough)

Might it be something corrupted from "I've gotten a headache" meaning that I have acquired one? (You know, people probably just got tired of that last syllable and...OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!)

8-)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
To make my point a bit clearer, can I offer a re-examination of your first example, Dgeigh?

Consider the following AH definitions:
have v. t. 1a. To be in possession of 14. To be obliged to; must:

got v. past tense and past participle of ‘get’

get v. t. 1a. To come into possession or use of; receive 2a. To go after and obtain 3a. To acquire as a result of action or effort

When the words are replaced with their definitions/meanings, ‘I’ve got to go’ becomes:

I have got to go.

-----------

Is that really so awkward? I would render that (consistent with AHD meanings) as something like:

I am possessed by an obligation + to go

The alternate ‘meaning’ of ‘get’ is listed further down the whole slew of daftinitions:

16a. To have current possession of. Used in the present perfect form with the meaning of the present: We've got plenty of cash. b. Nonstandard To have current possession of. Used in the past tense form with the meaning of the present: They got a nice house in town. c. To have as an obligation. Used in the present perfect form with the meaning of the present: I have got to leave early. You've got to do the dishes. d. Nonstandard To have as an obligation. Used in the past tense with the meaning of the present: I got to git me a huntin' dog.

The reason I put ‘meaning’ in inverted commas is to signify that I see this as only a post-facto rationalisation by the grammarians: the construction is offered by a speaker and received by a hearer, and the meaning is the meaning they invest it with – the dictionary makers come along way later and try to make pretty patterns with the ugly mess we undisciplined speakers take for granted! Perhaps it would help you lose the stone if you mentally glossed the construction as one word: haffgot :)

Get and got are used with such widely varied meanings that, like Humpty, we should really pay them more!

http://www.sabian.org/Alice/lgchap06.htm

D
Dgeigh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
You have truncated my original examination of the phrase, maverick. I did not stop at: “I ‘am in possession of’ got to go.” That was merely the jumping-off point. I continued the expansion of the phrase to its possible conclusions, as follows:

I ‘am in possession of’ ‘came into possession of’ to go. or
I ‘must’ ‘came into possession of’ to go.

Nevertheless, your truncation aside, let’s examine the phrase at the point at which you chose to stop:

Using the definition you cited, the next possible expansions would be:

I ‘must’ ‘have an obligation’ to go. or
I ‘am in possession of’ ‘have an obligation’ to go.

The expansion: “I ‘am in possession of’ ‘have an obligation’ to go” is more faithful to the model I originally established of replacing words with their definitions.

Your conclusion of: “I am possessed by an obligation + to go” takes the expansion of : “I ‘am in possession of’ ‘have an obligation’ to go” and then tries to make it more understandable by changing the definitions of the words ‘have’ and ‘got’. You have changed the definition of ‘have’ from: ‘am in possession of’ to: ‘am possessed’. You have also changed the definition of ‘got’ from: ‘to have an obligation’ to: ‘an obligation’. Changing the definitions of the words was not part of my original model because it is pointless to do so and unnecessarily clouds the issue.

Looking at the two expansions above, the phrase either conveys a different meaning altogether from what is understood by ‘I’ve got to go’ or it requires further expansion.

“I ‘must’ ‘have an obligation’ to go.”

Here the meaning is different. It makes one wonder, “Why must you have an obligation? Is someone forcing you?”

“I ‘am in possession of’ ‘have an obligation’ to go” expands further into:

I ‘am in possession of’ ‘”am in possession of” an obligation’ to go.

Here the meaning is redundant. There is no need to repeat ‘am in possession of’.

You asked: “Is that really so awkward?”

Let’s compare your redefined expansion with the most clear and concise way to convey the meaning of ‘I’ve got to go’:

I am possessed by an obligation + to go

I must go.

I don’t know about ‘so awkward’, but yes, without a doubt, it is awkward – unnecessarily awkward.

You mentioned ‘meaning’. Yes, speakers and listeners can invest meaning in whatever they agree upon. But why make communication unnecessarily awkward? As I originally wrote, “Wouldn’t it be clearer and more concise to say, ‘I must go’ …?” The same meaning would be communicated without all the ambiguity.

Generally speaking, I think tswum has given the best explanation for something so ambiguous being used so widely and popularly: idiom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 860 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith