Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I've got a quick question for the prescriptivists. How would you punctuate the following:

"Yesterday afternoon, a book arrived in the mail: Robert A. Hall, Jr.’s, Leave Your Language Alone! in its first, hard-cover, vanity press (Linguistica–Ithaca, NY) edition."

I'm sure I got it wrong; so, correct away. Commas delimiting Jr? Apostrophe on Hall or Jr.? Commas wrapped around the parenthetical? I tried, but my potsherd cracked.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If nothing else, I'm glad to see you've spelt Ithaca correctly.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would remove the comma after afternoon. Not sure why, but if you recast the first phrase "A book arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon: . . . ." you would not have a comma; that makes me believe it would not have a comma in its original form.

I would certainly have typed it automatically without the comma.

Peggy pointed out to me when we were talking about it that she would not put a comma after Jr.'s. I admit I missed that, but after considering the matter I agree with her. The comma does nothing for the sentence.

I would leave the 's where it is. That is exactly how you would say the phrase if you were reading the sentence aloud. And you should not sow too many commas into a sentence lest you become known as a comma suturer. Sentence erections are funny things.

TEd
J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Yes, I misspelled it on my blog, even though I had the book in front of me when I typed it. I have corrected that now, too.

J
jheem Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I would remove the comma after afternoon.

When I first typed it online, there was no comma after afternoon, but when retyping it here (or cutting and pasting it), I corrected the misspelled Ithaca and put in an extra comma to ward off the evil punctuating spirits.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'd leave that first comma in. It's a (phrase or a clause, can't remember which is which right now) that qualifies what follows. No comma means it runs on and could be misread.

Been running network cabling and I'm hot and bothered, so my prescriptivist hat got left downstairs ...

N
addict
addict
N
FWIW, I learned, many moons ago, that you use a comma to separate coordinate adjectives, ie, if you would put an "and" or "but" between them, use a comma. Example: a tall, slender lady, but a little old lady. You might say "a tall and slender lady," but probably not "a little and old lady." Using that reasoning, I think you could eliminate the commas in first, hard-cover, vanity press edition. At least the one after "first." Guess I could make a case for saying "hard-cover but vanity press."

Or is the coordinate adjectives rule no longer relevant (if it ever was)?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think the sentence is over-punctuated and that there are some optional maneuvers that make it easier to read, which is the point!

Here's the original:

"Yesterday afternoon, a book arrived in the mail: Robert A. Hall, Jr.’s, Leave Your Language Alone! in its first, hard-cover, vanity press (Linguistica–Ithaca, NY) edition."

Here's how I would change it to make it easier to read:

Yesterday afternoon a book arrived in the mail: Robert A. Hall Jr.'s Leave Your Language Alone! in its first hardcover, vanity press edition (Linguistica-Ithaca, NY).

I am taking the vanity press to be the generic term since it wasn't capitalized in the original rather than an actual company that goes by the name Vanity Press, although there could be. I also got rid of the hyphenation in hardcover, which is fine according to Webster's, again to help the poor reader with the heavily punctuated original. I changed word order, too, to make the reading easier.

I can even imagine taking the ultimate leap and leaving out one more comma that I don't think detracts from the sense of the sentence. Call me a renegade, but I think Nancy will agree:

Yesterday afternoon a book arrived in the mail: Robert A. Hall Jr.'s Leave Your Language Alone! in its first hardcover vanity press edition (Linguistica-Ithaca, NY). Edit: I put my final choice in bold because I think it's the best form.

In other words, the commas clutter up this sentence unnecessarily, and I can easily read it aloud without feeling any necessity for comma placement. The "Jr." offset with commas is something that is optional, and here the sentence reads better and easier on the eyes without those commas.

Please do disagree!

N
addict
addict
N
Excellent, WW! I absolutely do agree.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You might say "a tall and slender lady," but probably not "a little and old lady."

You would say that she is tall and slender because she is tall irrespective of her being slender and slender irrespective of her being tall. Why would you say that being little and being old do not have the same degree of irrespctivity?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith