Next Thread
Print Thread
#132521 09/02/04 11:22 AM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Does anyone know the origin of this phrase? What kind of shot?

#132522 09/02/04 12:00 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Like an injection of B vitamins to boost energy? I’m not sure if this is still done.

#132523 09/02/04 06:46 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'm sure it comes from innoculations.

#132524 09/02/04 07:33 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Interesting question. I've always taken it to mean a shot of something invigorating, like vitamin B as o'b mentioned above. It would be very interesting to know whether the expression came from innoculations! I would have taken the expression all my life in a completely different way--my interpretation as having been one leaning toward invigoration when, in fact, the expression may have orginally meant more of a deus ex machina slant!

Please, someone, clarify this!

#132525 09/02/04 07:56 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Take a look about halfway down this page and there are some theories about several sayings having to do with various kinds of shots (different meanings):

http://www.siracd.com/work_h_cocaine.shtml

#132526 09/03/04 02:12 PM
G
addict
addict
G
I've always taken it to mean a shot of something invigorating

A "shot in the arm" is not to be confused with a "shot in the dark" which is certainly invigorating, but only if you hit something.

Now, "a shot heard round the world", that is always invigorating.

#132527 09/03/04 03:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Holy cow--I got to thinking about tsuwm's link to Faldage's post about the prefix in-, and decided to LIU (look it up). Look what Bartleby has via AHD; I'm not going to bother adding in the italics, etc.; there's too much. I did take their suggestion and look up in- and ok-, which I'll post beneath inoculate.

SYLLABICATION: in·oc·u·late
PRONUNCIATION: -nky-lt
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: in·oc·u·lat·ed, in·oc·u·lat·ing, in·oc·u·lates
1. To introduce a serum, vaccine, or antigenic substance into (the body of a person or animal), especially to produce or boost immunity to a specific disease. 2. To communicate a disease to (a living organism) by transferring its causative agent into the organism. 3. To implant microorganisms or infectious material into (a culture medium). 4. To safeguard as if by inoculation; protect. 5. To introduce an idea or attitude into the mind of.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English inoculaten, to graft a scion, from Latin inoculre, inocult- : in-, in; see in–2 + oculus, eye, bud; see okw- in Appendix I.

in–2

VARIANT FORMS: or il– or im– or ir–
PREFIX: 1. In; into; within: inundation. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-. 2. Variant of en–1.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English (from in, in; see in1) and from Old French (from Latin, from in, in, within; see en in Appendix I).

Indo-European Roots

ENTRY: okw-
DEFINITION: To see. Oldest form *3ekw-, colored to *3okw-, zero-grade *3kw-.
Derivatives include eye, daisy, window, inoculate, and autopsy.
1a. eye; daisy, from Old English age, eye; b. walleyed, window, from Old Norse auga, eye; c. ogle, from Low German oog, oge, eye. a–c all from Germanic *augn- (with taboo deformation). 2. Suffixed form *okw-olo-. a. eyelet, ocellus, ocular, oculist, oculus, ullage; antler, inoculate, monocle, oculomotor, pinochle, from Latin oculus, eye; b. inveigle, from French aveugle, blind, from Gallo-Latin compound *ab-oculus, blind, calqued on Gaulish exs-ops, blind. 3. Form *okw-s. ceratopsian, metopic, myopia, nyctalopia, Pelops, phlogopite, prosopography, prosopopoeia, pyrope, triceratops, from Greek ps, eye (and stem *op-, to see). 4. Suffixed form *okw-ti-. opsin, –opsis, –opsy; autopsy, dropsy, iodopsin, rhodopsin, synopsis, from Greek opsis, sight, appearance. 5. Suffixed form *okw-to-. optic; diopter, optoelectronics, optometry, panoptic, from Greek optos, seen, visible. 6. Suffixed form *okw--. metope, from Greek op, opening. 7. Suffixed form *okw-m. ommatidium, ommatophore, from Greek omma (< *opma), eye. 8. Suffixed form *okw-tro-. catoptric, from Greek katoptron, “back-looker,” mirror (kata-, down, back; see kat-). 9. ophthalmo-; exophthalmos, from Greek ophthalmos, eye (with taboo deformation). 10. Zero-grade form *kw-, in compounds (see ant-, ter-, ghwer-). (Pokorny ok- 775.)

#132528 09/03/04 03:38 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Latin inoculo 'to ingraft an eye or a bud of one tree into another'. In English, potatoes have eyes, but in Latin trees did. Does any other language use a synonym for eye for bud? I had wondered if inoculation had anything to do with the evil eye (invidia 'envy').

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith