Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11892 12/03/00 12:11 PM
S
solrep Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I discovered this word recently then lost the source. I may have spelled it incorrectly, but it is supposed to describe filler words in speech, such as er, um, like, and you know. Is it an actually word? I found it in a book of word lists I happened to be scanning at the library.

Thank you, wise ones.

Da'vid

Carpe rutila

Carpe whatever
#11893 12/03/00 04:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
according to the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology, embolalia (only two els) is simply "meaningless babbling". it would seem that someone borrowed this pathological term for other use; the "skb" wordlist, which can be found online, gives this looong and authoritative looking entry: "embolalia (n.) - the use of virtually meaningless filler words, phrases, or stammerings (or so-called hesitation-forms) in speech, whether as unconscious utterings while arranging one's thoughts or as a vacuous, inexpressive mannerism (W)" I'll have to ask him what his "W" source is, as I can't find his key [much of the skb list comes from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words, but not this one]

and, as long as I'm being expansive, here are some other interesting -lalias:

coprolalia - the uncontrollable use of obscene language
echolalia - the often pathological repetition of what is said by other people as if echoing them
glossolalia - speaking in tongues

#11894 12/04/00 07:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, (a) I'm ignorant, and (b) I'll bite. What's carpe rutila? I translate it as "grabbing or seizing red" or something like that - given that I don't have a Latin dictionary handy. Carpe diem, I get. Maybe I'm just tired. Or stupid.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#11895 12/04/00 08:33 AM
S
solrep Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just a play on the wornout Carpe diem. I write garden humour, hence "Carpe rutila" -- seize the spade/shovel.

Cheers,

David

Carpe rutila

Carpe whatever
#11896 12/04/00 09:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just a play on the wornout Carpe diem. I write garden humour, hence "Carpe rutila" -- seize the spade/shovel.

Oh. Shouldn't it be carpe pala or maybe batillum? Rutila is just red or something which is red. I think I've heard of rutila being used to refer to a clay (maybe red?) that some potters use, but that use may be unconnected.

But it's a long time since I studied the language. I just missed having Cicero as a tutor in rhetoric because the old beggar up and died. So I had to drop Latin and take geography instead. Now, where was I?

A pala was carried by legionnaires following the Marian army reforms (although for all I know they may have been carried by them before that).

#11897 12/04/00 10:57 AM
S
solrep Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ah, I'm afraid I'm not a latin scholar, Captain. I used a Latin/English dictionary on the net and came up with the following:
pala spade, peel for putting bread in the oven.
rutila a spade, shovel.

Another one gave me rutrum.

For red it gives:
puniceus purple, red.
puniceus reddish.
rubor redeness, blush, modesty, shame, disgrace.
rufus red, ruddy.
rutilus red, golden, auburn.

Gosh, it's almost as bad as English!

"Bury him? And what am I supposed to dig the hole with, Brutus."
"Use the ........, you fool!"

This is the site for the dictionary http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

Carpe rutila

Carpe whatever
#11898 12/04/00 11:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The Lewis & Short Latin dictionary at the Perseus site http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?lookup=rutilus#1&db=ls&type=exact&options=Sort+Results+Alphabetically&lang=la&formentry=0 gives the meanings "red (inclining to golden yellow)" and "shining, glittering".

The words that have "spade" in the entry are gradus, pala, rutrum, vanga .

Bingley

Bingley
#11899 12/04/00 05:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmm. Well, I'm perfectly prepared to believe that my Latin is rusty (red).

Actually I've always loved the expression "S/he knows where all the bodies are buried". The reply (in a British comedy show, referred to elsewhere on this list as a "Britcom"), was "And s/he even knows where they keep the shovel".

Thanks for the Latin on-line dictionary URLs, people. I've always been too stingy to buy a Latin dictionary ...

#11900 12/04/00 11:00 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Yes, solrep, I found rutila, n. - a spade in another Latin online wordlist, as well as rutilus, adj = red, golden, auburn (rutila would be the feminine form of the adjective; rutilus the masculine.)

One thing to watch, though, if you want to continue using your sign-off is the case of the noun, rutila. If it is being seized, it needs to take the accusative case, which, assuming it's a regular feminine noun, would be rutilam.

So, carpe rutilam.

Actually, I rather like it as "seize the red". Goes well with my usual email sign-off of "Cheers".

Oh, and I'm no Latin scholar either, just a nitus-pickerus.

#11901 12/04/00 11:18 PM
S
solrep Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wow, and I thougth I was being so smart. Guess I'll have to study Latin (tudysay atinlay?). Thanks, everyone, for your gracious enlightenment.

Carpe rutila -- seize the red ... geranium. That's it, red geranium. Fits the gardening theme perfectly.

Carpe whatever

Carpe whatever
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 699 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith