Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#104535 05/30/03 04:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I've been really busy packing up for the last few days, clearing out detritus from 21 years in the same house, painting, etc., to get our house ready to market. http://www.ezmls.com/full.php?id=R9223 . We're gonna be Jackie's neighbors! The sellers are insisting on closing by July 30, so I get to spend the first week of August moving. What a pleasant thought! And school starts August 4 or 5!!! When i was a kid we'd have picketed the home of a school super who wanted to start school before Labor Day (the first Monday in September for you non-USns.)

Anyway, I found a sign that came from an abandoned Army post: "OFF LIMITS" and I got to thinking about it. We all know what off limits means, but what the heck does it come from? Does it mean that what's in front of the sign is within limits of movement while what's behind it means beyond permitted limits of movement? That seems most logical. And does anyone use the opposit, "on limits"?

TEd
#104536 05/30/03 09:42 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Isn't that a garage I see at the back of the property, Ted? The blurb says there isn't one ...

Nice house. Cheap. Love it!

#104537 05/30/03 09:58 PM
W
W
Wow -- a house, with all the trimmings. I wonder if I will ever have such? Looks like not.

The kitchen is particularly nice.

As for the off/on limits question: True -- the opposite would seem to be within limits, as in "within city limits" ... This brings to mind "beyond the pale," a pretty expression, I think.

#104538 05/30/03 10:08 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It may look pretty but it has a sad provenance.

#104539 05/30/03 10:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Off-limits

The designation for any vehicle, conveyance, place, structure, building, or area which service members are prohibited to use, ride, visit, or enter during the period of the off-limits declaration until existent conditions which
adversely affect the health, safety, and welfare of Service personnel are eliminated or corrected.

AR 190–24/OPNAVINST 1620.2A/AFI 31–213/MCO 1620.2C/COMDTINST 1620.1D • 30 June 1993

#104540 05/30/03 10:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It's a tool shed. I am already designing a large garage to replace it. I haven't seen the property myself, and Peggy is lousy with direction, but I think the doors on the shed face west. I know it is right on the property line, something we can't do here. There's an interesting story along those lines I'll tell you, also.

I want to tear down the tool shed and build a garage considerably to the right of where it stands, with four garage doors facing south. There will be a solid wall dividing the building in half. The two doors on the right (east) will be for cars, and the two on the left, closes to the house, will be my workshop. It will have glass panes in several of the door panels as well as skylights let into the south-facing roof.

It will have built in dust collection, with a very large dust extractor in a separate shed out back (to keep the noise down, with four inch suction hoses under the raised floor to each tool station. 110 volt power supply is the standard here in the US, but I'm going to wire in 220 to most of the stations, since my power tools operate more efficiently (read cooler) on 220. One corner of the shop will have a walled-off area called a clean room, where I'll be able to apply finish without worrying about dust. That will have positive pressure ventilation from an air intake in the eaves, pushing clean air into the room and then out through a duct in the back so I can work safely with volatile solvents. BTW, I use a respirator under such circumstances unless I am outside and upwind of the workpiece.

There will be a separate compartment for wood storage with some degree of temperature/humidity control. And the whole thing will be heated with natural gas so I can work all winter.

Peggy's already laid down the law though: no plumbing, no sound system. She wants me to come back to the house once in a while and she doesn't want me working with power tools while distracted by music. Probably a good idea.

OH! The story about the lot line. This is a famous case that took place in Asheville, NC, which is about 40 miles west of where we are moving. As with most cities, you can build right up to your property line. A guy named Smith put up three-story brick building, going right up to the property line on one side. Mr. Passive-Aggressive, the owner of the adjoining property, never said a word until the building was complete. Then he called in a surveyor who proved that Smith's building extended one inch (2.54 cm) onto PA's property.

In most such cases the trespassed-upon owner sells an easement to the trespassor, but PA refused to sell his one inch of property and the court had to order Smith to shave off the side of his brick building so it did not infringe on his neighbor.

Several years later, PA put up a building that abutted Smith's building. Smith never said a word, but when PA's building was complete Smith called in a surveyor, who proved that PA had built half an inch onto Smith's property because Smith had shaved off more than the inch of building that stuck out too far.

PA couldn't go in and shave off the side of his building because there wasn't any way to get in between the two buildings to do it, and the court (rather gleefully I suspect) made him tear down his building because it stuck out over his property line!

TEd
#104541 05/30/03 11:04 PM
W
W
Capfka: I have an inkling of "beyond the pale"'s sad provenance, but I find it pretty nonetheless -- I think of the ringed-in plot in the unicorn tapestry -- see:
http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1.asp?dep=7&full=0&item=37.80.6

TEd: Yikes! You are a busy bee!
To see my house, click:
http://www6.oekakibbs.com/bbs/websafestudio/oekakibbs.cgi

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's my apartment I laugh, but many have been the times I have refered to it as my "nest" or my "cell". If you take one of those realtor "virtual tours" don't blink or you'll miss it. Say, Ted, would you like another daughter? I promise I won't crash your car and my college education is already paid for. Dibs on the 2nd floor porch. Looks like a great place to hang my hammock.

#104543 05/31/03 02:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ted, your new house is stunning! It is absolutely the all-American family home! Lovely proportions, old yet obviously up-to-date--wow!
And your garage plans--wow again! I've seen those dust-remover set-ups: they are fantastic. Shoot, I wouldn't care if you lived out there--I'd be out there with you!

#104544 06/01/03 12:02 AM
W
W
Dear consuelo: You've been a pleasant boarder in the bohemian garret in the hat-house ... sometimes Clothespeg-nose hears you singing, faintly, through birdsquawks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith