Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sorry, baseball means nothing to me and I didn't even retain the team names long enough to make the post, but the statement (or rather, question) still stands. Makes Bush's family grudge against Saddam Hussein look positively benign, if you ask me!

W
W
Kind of interesting, Capfka: You don't like the word "sox"? It brings a smile to my lips.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Strokes/folks. Just plain wrong where I come from! Not so much a smile as a grimace ...

#104187 05/30/03 11:48 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Totally off topic alert!!
Makes me think of Dr. Suess and "Fox in sox on box . . ."
Now there is a man who loved words. Did you know he wrote 2 adult books. (er um make that books for adults)

#104188 06/10/03 12:00 AM
A
A
And I quote:

Neither is the primary act of scanning the page with our eyes a continuous, systematic process. It is usually assumed that, when we are reading, our eyes travel smoothly, without interruptions, along the lines of a page, and that, when we are reading Western writing, for instance, our eyes go from left to right. This isn't so. A century ago, the French opthalmologist Emile Javal discovered that our eyes actually jump about the page; these jumps or saccades take place three of four times per second... The speed of the eye's motion across the page - but not the motion itself - interferes with perception, and it is only during the brief pause between movements that we actually 'read'.

From A History of Reading , lauded by me in Info and Announcements... So meandereading is a pretty good description, really.

#104189 06/10/03 02:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in elementary school, back in the beginning of the second half of the last century (god, i sound old!) i participated in a program, 'controlled reading'.

we were broken up into groups of about 20, (2 row of 5 pairs allong an center aisle) in the center aisle, a 'film strip' type projector, that displayed a few words at a time, (from a single row of text,) then, moved back to the left, and slid again across a slot, and showed again one to three words of a row at a time, and moved right, all at a controlled speed..
so a line of type// was displayed as// a group of words//
sometimes two or// three words, sometimes//more. with the//
double slashes// simulating the size of // the slot.

we started 'controlled reading' in about 3rd grade, and began by just learning, at a slow speed to move our eyes, and 'go with the flow' as we went up in grade, the speed and complexity of the reading matter increased, and we were tested on comprehension. by the time i finished eight grade, i was reading with 90% comprehension, at over 1000 words per minute. i still read incredible fast. i don't know much about the controlled reading program -- our school, a parocial one, used to make money by testing out new books and programs (most of the test books of my childhood were soft cover, not hard!) we had "new math" years before the rest of the nation.. i suspect controlled reading was one of these programs (i have never met anyone who has ever heard of it!- and my ex, and most of his friends were all teachers!)

i'll go and look to see it there is anything on controlled reading, but when i read, i still am very methodical about moving only my eyes, and i move,stop,move stop, just as the projector did, across the line and whip through text.

i have no doubt, that most people read as as Emil Javal found them to, but i know i have learned to do differently!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 631 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith