#82777 10/04/02 07:10 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I can't believe it!

I drive past GAP and there it is. Another of their attempts at American Cultural Imperialism. Why?

Last year, I complained about their "HOLIDAYS ARE HERE" campaign which left many people here rather bemused thinking "I took my holidays in the summer - why is there a picture of a child all wrapped up in warm clothes - is the child going on a holiday? ...."

This year the sign says "FALL SALE" - does this mean that they are selling items that "fell off the back of a lorry", or are they worried about falling sales/market share. Of course we all (I think) know what "fall" means in the USA, it just happens to be called "Autumn" here - what's wrong with a sign saying "Autumn Sale"? - surely they have signs in French and Spanish when they have shops in those countries. Why do they fail to acknowledge that we have our own language too!

B
old hand
old hand
B
Why do they fail to acknowledge that we have our own language too!

It's even worse in Canada, probably because we're right next door and they assume that we're clones without ever bothering to ask. I'm not sure if that makes you feel better. But at least you know you're not alone!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Jo, possibly the signs were shipped from the States; I don't know. I will say that I have been told by a beloved Brit-speaker that I ought to learn to speak English! But maybe I should tell him to learn American: recently he used a slang expression that HE thought changed the antecedent insult to show that he was making a joke. Instead, though, it served to emphasize the seriousness; quite rocked me back on my heels, till I asked, I can tell you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is, of course, the simple fact that the USn use of holiday is etymologically more defensible.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well if it makes me feel any better, Gap and most other American stores insult the intelligence of Americans (perhaps considered an oxymoron by many British...) too.

We use "autumn" here as well as "fall." They're more or less interchangeable, with autmn being slightly more formal, having a whopping two syllables.

U.S. retailers love the time between October and January because there is pretty much a holiday per month, leading up to their biggest money maker, Christmas. Hence "the holiday" season is the time when shoppers are more easily separated from their money. It can be rather nauseating (or as many of my patients say, "nauseratin") to see Christmas decorations up in stores well in advance of any real cultural feelings that the Christmas season has arrived.

B
old hand
old hand
B
There is, of course, the simple fact that the USn use of holiday is etymologically more defensible

Except for the fact that the choice of the word holiday by retailers is dictacted by their desire not to appear to prefer/offend any particular religion's holy day. In fact, in ad campaigns, holiday has quite an un-religious meaning.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Except for the fact...

Yer in line behind Shona.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Yer in line behind Shona.

Huh???? [confused]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Huh????

For replacing me as chief nitpicker.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i know you raise the issue last year, and i think i recall that the subject was "talked about', but did it have a real negitive impact? or did it just make everyone notice, comment, and think about The Gap? and if it did, maybe the ad succeded in way you might not have thought of... after all you still remember last years add, and with all the real information you have to deal with, for an add to imbed itself in you consciousness, well that is an acheivement isn't it?

from an Ad man's point of view, Holidays are here was a very successfull ad!

it most likely hasn't annoyed you enought to say, 'i am never shopping there" (and even if it did, your kids might have other ideas!) so you are more aware of the gap as a result of advertizing.. scary isn't it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith