Print Thread
#73308 06/18/02 12:18 AM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
I have received a death threat through this board.

The person who made that threat will shortly travel across the ocean to this country, there to convene, relatively near my home, with people who to a greater or lesser degree share his sentiments.

Under the circumstances I am in fear for the life and physical safety of my family and myself, and for my home. Accordingly, I am forced to conclude that with that gathering pending, I will not be posting on this board.

I would add one thing, purely in the interest of deterring violence. The police will be notified, as a precaution. Please be aware that if violence against me and mine should occur, the primary suspects will be obvious from what has recently been posted on this board. It is therefore in the interest of all to forestall any such violence. Your hostess sparteye, being a lawyer, doubtless can well advise you on the foregoing.

#73309 06/18/02 12:37 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: go away. You are not welcome here.

#73310 06/18/02 12:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why do i think this is trick 7-- when you are confronted with a truth, one you can't counter, or move away from, i.e., you were banned from here, and forced your way back in, by threatening Anu and Jackie, suddendly, amazingly, something even more terrible happens to you.

we saw your little threat.. it was in a different thread, and it didn't garner you much sympathy, did it?
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=73432&page=1
so now, you make a big dramatic comeback, how you are being threatened..

you know, this trick is getting old, but i guess you pulled out the gut wrencher of the shooting in your childrens school already, and then had your wife do it again right after Jackie's heart felt post. and now, when it is becoming clear to every one how manipulative you are, out comes Trick 7again, with its classic change of subject, and you once again, are the oppressed one, the hurt one.

how many times do you think we are going to fall for it? do you think we are stupid?
telling you to 'drop dead' is not a death threat, except in your own mind.

purely in the interest of deterring violence. The police will be notified Do any of the Chicago papers carry a column called the police blotter? maybe we can find the report, and send it to jay leno for his headlines segment.. he is alway looking for stories like this... man called the police to report someone told him to 'drop dead', is frightened for life.

and last i checked, chicago is almost a 4 hour drive away.. you are hardly down the road! so relatively near my home is something like your kind of rational discussion... you clearly don't have any idea what either is!

#73311 06/18/02 10:16 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I will not be posting on this board.

Hmm . . . just a question. Does that mean we've succeeded?

"Ding dong . . . "

[EDIT: The preceding in no way implies that this lollipop guilder condones death "threats".]

#73312 06/18/02 11:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is absurd beyond words. Accept that NOBODY, absolutely NOONE, wants you here -- both officially (Anu and Jackie's ban) and unofficially (the rest of us). This has been expressed again and again in the entire spectrum of words, from kind to foul. Get over it already and get a life.

#73313 06/19/02 09:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ken:

I have refrained (though it has been difficult at times) from getting wrapped around the axle in this ongoing unpleasantness. But this is the last straw.

I sincerely believe that you need to consult a mental health professional who can help you deal with whatever devils are eating you alive from the inside.

Even if it is true that you received a death threat, which I must state for the record I doubt, to imply that those who are going to attend this weekend's gathering share the sentiment of the person who made the threat is an exemplification of a level of paranoia which cries out for intervention. I cannot help but believe that the sole purpose of your post about death threats is designed solely to cast a pall over a party to which you were not invited and at which you are apparently most unwelcome.

I also note for the record that you do not state that you will leave the board, only that while the gathering is "pending" you will not be posting. Of course that's a total non sequitur, since if there truly were a death threat (which I doubt very much) you would not put such a time limit on your hiatus.

Ken, I sincerely believe you need professional help. I urge you to get it.

TEd Remington

TEd
#73314 06/19/02 10:02 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I have refrained...>>

With respect for the board, its founder and membership; with respect for the member to whose specific post this is attached:

All of us are sorely tempted to respond to the blatant absurdity at the top of this thread. The blatant absurdity at the top of this thread begs us to respond. The blatant absurdity at the top of this thread is a device intended to draw us to respond. That is why responses to it cannot and will not help. We have all seen enough vituperatives. Given the provocations the desire to express rage is perfectly understandable. But expressions of rage in the form of replies to these provocations will not mend the forum but only harm it.

There is a discussion going on elsewhere about what is right. In the instance of the present thread, I believe not to fuel the flames is right. To mend the forum is right. To attend to the discussions that are the purpose of this board is right. To ignore provocateurs is right. To cut threads such as the present one short is right.

It is understood by all of us that this forum may suffer another barage once Wordapalooza is over. We can deal with that then if we remember why we are here. In the meantime, it would be better that none of us ressurect a monster.

We are not here to fight. We are here for the sake of positive and interesting and friendly discourse. Let's not lend ourselves to sabotage nor invest our energies in malice. Let's simply ignor the agents of malice here, and get on with the business of commeraderie.

And let us agree to end this thread here. At the very least, insofar as it relates to its originating, destructive and bating topic.

With all respect and in friendship,
IP

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith