W
OP Offline
W
A few weeks ago when I featured a week of words from the world of law,
I hardly had any inkling of how soon I'll be facing that world in
practice, not just in words.

I un-banned Keiva only after consulting Jackie and both of us agreed
there was no other option. Sorry to know that some are disappointed,
but we do not have time or resources to fight a lawsuit.

This online community of wordlovers is bigger than any one person,
be it Keiva, Jackie, Anu, or anyone else. Let's not make this an
"either him or me" issue. Perhaps we can learn from English -- it accepts words
from all languages whether it's what some consider a "barbaric" tongue,
or a "refined" one. If we do not like a particular word, all we have
to do is ignore it, we do not need to tear out that page from the
dictionary. I do hope Jackie will be back as she has contributed
a lot and we all need her special love sprinkled on the board.

Happy words to all!

A very great part of the mischief that vex this world arises from words.
-Edmund Burke, statesman and writer (1729-1797)

#71901 05/31/02 11:14 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site." Sorry, sir, but we all remain responsible for our own words.

both of us agreed there was no other option.

Not accurate, sir.
For example, you may recall that I said that one altenative was for me to set up a like board at my own expense. (Recall that in that context you shared with me your experience of the dollar-costs involved, and the number you quoted was triva). That approach has its downsides, of course, but it was one of several you and I considered in an attempt to resolve this amicably.

Edit: If you continue to believe your post was accurate, you have my permission to publish the entire correspondence, between you (or your administator) and me following my banning and pertaining to that subject. Should you think it productive to do so.

#71902 05/31/02 11:28 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Keiva,

You enquired the cost of software. I told you. I asked you what you wanted: you mentioned getting back on AWADtalk. If setting up a separate board was an option for you, we would be talking about the joy of words here, not about this whole mess. If it's still an option for you, please consider exercising that option.

#71903 05/31/02 06:36 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Dear Mr. Garg:

In view of the laws of libel, I would suggest that you delete my legal name where it has been used in various posts -- including at least four times today.

While this may not necessarily be curative of possible libel, it could reduce the scope thereof.

#71904 05/31/02 06:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
delete my legal name

I'm no legal authority but I would wonder whether this could be considered destruction of evidence.

#71905 05/31/02 07:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Mr. Garg,
Keiva (aka Kenneth Spector, Aphonic Rants, and KeivaCarpal, and et. al.) publicly displayed his full legal name for many months in his profile. (yes, i am aware he does not do so now, but he did for many months.) He made the information public of his own accord.

I have the right to free speech. Keiva(and his alias's) had no hesitation using my name in posts, after i made it clear to him that i was no longer interesting in any thing he had to say.. by doing so, he was created an impression the we were still friends, and on a first name basis.

I see no reason why I, or anyone else can't use his name in posts.. unless of course, he is now threatening everyone who types his name? If he is, well, the worst has come, I too am being threatened by this man. I too have my name in my profile. In a kind of naive openness on my part, my name is available in my profile. To save him the effort, let me say, Of Troy is also known as Helen Griffin.

I think it would be a very interesting case.. a civil case naming me, for an actionable use of his name? In a public? or at the very least, semi public forum, where he once openly posted his name?

It doesn't sound like he has a case.. but, whether he does or doesn't, if he filed it in the Illinois courts, it would be very expensive for me to deal with, wouldn't it? And i might lose, not on an merit, but simply because I might not be able to afford to mount a defense from 5 states away (Rt 80, most direct land route from NY to Chicago, NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, IL). Situated, in Chicago, it would be very easy for him to peruse the case rigorously, and last minute delays would have a negligible impact on his ability to conduct his business, but would have a major impact on my life; and as an a person with a good deal of knowledge of the law, he would have a second advantage.

So threatening a law suit, even if if is with out merit, it threatening my livelyhood-- it is a very real threat.

helen (of troy)

#71906 06/01/02 12:46 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
>If we do not like a particular word, all we have
to do is ignore it, we do not need to tear out that page from the dictionary.
--
Well written.

#71907 06/01/02 02:02 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Anu, it is now apparent that by giving in to Spector you have practically allowed the destruction of AWADtalk. Most unfortunate. I have greatly enjoyed AWAD in general and this board in particular, and with the poisonous atmosphere generated by "Keiva" sure to return, and with the departure of most of the people with whom I enjoyed exchanging views, I can not see that it can hold any further attraction for me. Unlike some of our members, I can not blame you for taking the action you did; it must have been a very difficult choice to make. I take this opportunity to thank you and express my admiration for what you did in establishing AWAD.

In the event that "Keiva" decides that wreaking further havoc is unsatisfying and he takes himself off, please let me know by email, or by a prominent post on AWADtalk (I may just look in from time to time to see if he's gone yet). Then perhaps AWADtalk can recover, provided there is some way to keep "Keiva" out.

#71908 06/06/02 09:31 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
This online community of wordlovers is bigger than any one person,
be it Keiva, Jackie, Anu, or anyone else. Let's not make this an
"either him or me" issue. Perhaps we can learn from English -- it accepts words
from all languages whether it's what some consider a "barbaric" tongue,
or a "refined" one. If we do not like a particular word, all we have
to do is ignore it, we do not need to tear out that page from the
dictionary. I do hope Jackie will be back as she has contributed
a lot and we all need her special love sprinkled on the board.

Anu, so sorry that I am a bit late in responding and saying my thanks to you. I have enjoyed this board, both as poster (before, a grandchild took a lot of my time) and as a reader (most of the time) of posts every night to unwind. I respect your integrity and will treasure this place as long as it is here. I hope to contribute more in the future.
There are still many of us who respect you and has not forgotten your vision for this place
Thank you.

#71909 06/07/02 10:04 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith