Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71054 05/24/02 02:14 AM
N
nancyk Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
N
Wondered what the heck I was talking about, din't you? A co-worker frequently uses the phrase "coming to fruition" - only she says "fruitation." Which drives me crazy. I've tried using it correctly in front of her, but I'm convinced she doesn't even hear the difference. Question: Is it a kindness to take her aside and tell her she's got it wrong? Or is it picking nits and something I should grin and bear?

#71055 05/24/02 02:19 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#71056 05/24/02 07:10 AM
Z
Z
I'm with Max.

It must be done!

(I really should enrol in Nit-Picker's Anonymous, I know. Just can't fight it. It's like my aversion to apostophe misuse - don't get me started on THAT one! )

#71057 05/24/02 09:00 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I disagree to some degree about correcting the speech of co-workers. It really depends upon your relationship with the co-worker. If the person has a testy temperament, I wouldn't say a word. There are a lot of other considerations, too. Speech is personal. Imagine correcting Mrs. Malaprop.

I once worked under an assistant principal who had a great sense of humor and naturally commanded loyalty from us. Many people misprounced her last name. One time I asked her about that fact. She expressed that her name had been misprounced so many times that she let it go because it didn't bother her. She was easy going of nature and hard to take offense in general. I thought that there was some wisdom in her letting the correct pronunciation of her name be one of the things she chose not to deal with, and, instead, focus on the more pressing things at hand. My name is often mispronounced, as a matter of fact (you'd be amazed at the many variations I hear of "Dub-Dub")--but I leave the matter alone because of her example.

I worked under a principal once who said "pacific" for "specific." He was a darling man, and anytime he talked to the faculty and said pacific, we'd just grin. I don't think anyone ever corrected him--we enjoyed grinning too much in those meetings, which are generally a bore.

However, if you have a good relationship with this co-worker--a friendly one and she's the kind of person who doesn't take offense easily--a word in the right direction as a matter of interest might be ok to mention. If she were a word hound as we are here, then she'd definitely appreciate the correction as we do here.

End of my little opinionated point of view,
Dub-Dub (and that's the correct spelling and the correct pronunciation is Dub-Dub)

#71058 05/24/02 12:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A great deal of tact should be employed in correcting a co-worker, lest one acquire an enemy needlessly.
I takes a fine nature in both parties to have such a correction made and accepted cheerfully.

#71059 05/24/02 02:31 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I really should enrol in Nit-Picker's Anonymous, I know. Just can't fight it. It's like my aversion to apostophe misuse - don't get me started on THAT one!

I could not agree more, it is criminal the way people misuse apostoves.

Note: I would normally refrain from picking nits off someone I don't know, but the context made it irresistible. Also, as a compatriot of the esteemed Mr. Stales, I've no doubt you can take it. And since I haven't said it before - Welcome zootsuit!

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What kind of stove is an apostove?

I could not agree more, it is criminal the way people misuse apostoves.

#71061 05/24/02 02:38 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Oh, and on the actual question that started the thread:

I am an inveterate picker of nits of all sorts, and this would drive me absolutely nuts. But I have to agree with bill - if you can handle it in an exceptionally diplomatic way, and if the recipient of the correction is a stalwart soul in a tireless quest for self-improvement, then you might not sour your relationship with the person - but it'll still probably backfire.

I had a brilliant professor once, extremely articulate and in solid command of his language skills, whose great fault was that he said "anthropocentric-centered" - and he found more occasions to use it than you might think. I wrestled with how to correct him for a long time, talking about it with classmates, and in the end decided he would probably be okay getting through life with that one truly annoying tic of speech.

#71062 05/24/02 02:56 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I could not agree more, it is criminal the way...
... I thought for sure the nit you were going to pick was about Nit-Picker's Anonymous

#71063 05/24/02 02:58 PM
veteran
veteran

Unless the person has to speak publicly on behalf of the company and would thereby cause embarassment to all, I think you should let it drop. Lots of people say lots of incorrect things that annoy me - nuc-KYU-ler, e.g., but I try to ignore it. Also, I know some people get irritated with my speech patterns - I often pronounce things incorrectly "Lou-uh-vll" "y'all" "fer." Somethings I will pronounce correctly if I think about it a second. If I catch myself, I'll say oil and not ole. One of my Indian buddies expressed intense annoyance at my pronunciation of Van-tast-ic. (I didn't mind him ragging me in this way and I think that while it irritated him, he also found a lot of amusement in correcting my English.)

I have this friend once, a Mensan, who no matter what another person is saying he feels he has to correct it. He was at work once and the foreman was giving them speech about the "place-cards." He was saying "place-cards this" and "place-cards" that. My friend interrupts him to say (and he can be *intensely* unpleasant while convinced that he is being very nice) "the word is PLACK-ARD." His boss was not happy.

I'm sure you would treat your coworker with much more sympathy, but I still think that unless you're very close to the person or it is a matter of professional image, that you should just let it drop. Many, *MANY* times I hear people say things and the image of Slip Mahoney comes to mind. I can't help but smile - but I never speak.

k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,018 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith