About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4824 08/13/00 11:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>He and his close friend Oprah House are the spiritual parents of the nation....

Gee, Oprah's our nation's spiritual parent, too!
Can't think of who the father figure might be--certainly not
Bill Clinton!

#4825 08/13/00 04:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Gee, Oprah's our nation's spiritual parent, too!

gosh, and here I'd thought we live in the same nation.
:-̃

#4826 08/14/00 05:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, I've only seen bits and pieces of her show a
couple of times. I do know that I see references to her
famous book list, her famous personal problems, and her
famous love life all over the place. I do know that more
people relate to her than, say, Madonna. Though Hilary's
big-time embarrassment undoubtedly won her a lot of sympathy, I think her personality pretty well offset that.
So, Oprah still gets my vote. (Barbara Bush has the highest qualifications of anyone I can think of, but no longer has enough publicity to stay in the running.)

AnnaS., what say you? Who's our spiritual leader?

#4827 08/14/00 08:59 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I wouldn't say that Hillary really got much sympathy from the whole "Monica" thing, because she's had her share of scandals herself, and she's just plain stupid if her husband, a man with so much publicity, can have two affairs and have her still deny it.

Just by seeing the reaction to Barbara Bush during the Republican National Convention says that she's still very popular and well-liked.

#4828 04/10/02 01:50 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I don’t have the facts available to me here but would like to keep this interesting city names thread going, and have a question to ask, so will work from memory. Please forgive any inaccuracies you may discover!

As many of you will be aware a large number of English place names are Saxon in origin, in fact the name Sussex, the county I live in, means South Saxons and is rich in Saxon place names. An example of this is a small town called Billingshurst. There was a Saxon leader named Billa who brought his people (people = ing in Saxon) to England where they settled on a wooded hillside (hurst in Saxon), hence Billingshurst. Near their settlement was a Roman Road and over a period of time numbers of them wandered up this road, which led to London, and formed another settlement at the gate into the city. This became known as Billingsgate and was the site of the famous London fish market that was moved to a new location a few years ago.

When people moved out from Europe to new lands they tended to name the communities they formed after the ones they had left behind. I wonder how far the old Saxon names have spread around the world and my question is does anyone know of a “Billing…” based name in the USA, Australia, NZ, SA etc?

dxb.

#4829 04/10/02 02:24 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Lansing, Michigan

The City of Lansing was created expressly to be the state capital. The site was chosen in Lansing Township in Ingham County in part because of its location near the center of the state. At first, it was to be designated "Michigan, Michigan" but (whew) the name Lansing was eventually selected according to the wishes of the site's early settlers, who had emigrated from Lansing, New York. The settlers wished to honor the American jurist and political leader, John Lansing.

Michigan is based on the Chippewa Indian word "meicigama", meaning "great water", and refers to the Great Lakes.

#4830 04/10/02 02:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The first man you looked for; the last you wanted to meet.

And how many of y'all who know who Matt Dillon was also know who played him on the original radio show?

Hint: Perfect for the radio show; no way he could have done it on TV.

#4831 04/10/02 02:49 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Dear Faldage,

Matt Dillon? You have a city named Matt Dillon? Or have I missed something? Dunno the answer to your question tho'.

dxb

#4832 04/10/02 03:47 PM
P
P
This is a cheat since it's not a city, but one of my favourite place names is Charing Cross in London.

Apparently when Queen Eleanor died somewhere up north (help! my English history is very sketchy) she was carried in state all the way to London with memorial crosses erected at all the places where the cortege stopped. The final one was at Charing Cross so named because of the beautiful stone cross erected in memory of the "Chere Reine", the Dear Queen.

I just love the way the English have mangled French expressions over time. And then they wonder why the "Frogs" despise them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dxb, there's Billings, Montana.
I was trying to look up New Zealand cities (what can I say, I'm rather partial to that country now), and have just picked myself up off the floor after reading this web site:
http://216.121.122.144/NZ/Culture/HitchHikersGuide.html
CK, now I have an idea of why you are the way you are!
I still have tears streaming from things like this: Swannies: Woolen bush shirts and jackets made by Swanndri NZ Ltd. Very waterproof, scratchy, rugged, warm and make you look like a mass murderer when hitch hiking.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith