Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#56998 02/15/02 11:39 AM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
The other day I was looking up a website supplied by a fellow AWADer for words that rhymed with Many.

Amongst the several dozen words that appeared were the words plenty and twenty.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!"©

Maybe there are parts of the US where this might be the case but to even suggest that it is common practice to rhyme these words is ludicrous.

Atomica, which is skewed towards the US spelling and pronunciation, emphasises the 't' when pronouncing either twenty or plenty.

What danged fool decided to throw those in with the words without 't's??

#56999 02/15/02 12:01 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I'd previously commented (a couple of months ago?) about the US pronunciation "innernational", "innernet", and "inneresting". Again in your examples it's the -nt- combination that just turns into -nn-. I'm telling you, I even catch myself sometimes saying things like "paining" instead of "painting". Then I get angry for being so easily influenced by the overbearing foreign media presence in our country!

...Then again, our friends across the pond rhyme "horse" and "sauce". So who's to judge?

#57000 02/15/02 12:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you mean you don't pronounce the invisible t in many?

#57001 02/15/02 12:34 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I agree with you Rubrick, one factor conflicts me: think of all the good poetry we'd lose.

Then again, our friends across the pond rhyme "horse" and "sauce". So who's to judge?

T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

I know a cat who makes a habit
Of eating nothing else but rabbit,
And when he's finished, licks his paws
So's not to waste the onion sauce.

(highly recommended for any cat lover!)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H25E24B6

Edit: Sorry ASp! The link fits on my screen, but I gather it widens yours, so I've adjusted it.

#57002 02/15/02 12:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Amongst the several dozen words that appeared were the words plenty and twenty. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!"©

Gilberts & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance" [chanted]
For some ridiculous reason, to which, however, I've no desire to be disloyal,
Some person in authority, I don't know who, very likely the Astronomer Royal,
Has decided that, although for such a beastly month as February, twenty-eight days as a rule are plenty,
One year in every four his days shall be reckoned as nine and twenty.
Through some singular coincidence-- I shouldn't be surprised if it were owing to the agency of an ill-natured fairy--
You are the victim of this clumsy arrangement, having been born in leap-year, on the twenty-ninth of February;
And so, by a simple arithmetical process, you'll easily discover,
That though you've lived twenty-one years, yet, if we go by birthdays, you're only five and a little bit over!

I am so conflicted!

Edit: After posting, I realized that Rubrick is saying not that plenty and twenty do not rhyme with each other, but that they do not rhyme with many. But this was too much fun to delete -- paricularly in the middle of said beastly month.

#57003 02/15/02 02:34 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
But this was too much fun to delete -- paricularly in the middle of said beastly month.

Quite agree - G&S are always worth quoting, even if they not at all pertinent. And this quote points up what looks like a change in pronunciation between C19 and now. "This beastly month" appears to have been spoken as a four syllable word to rhyme with "fairy", whereas now, in UK at least, February is contracted to three syllables and slurred to "Febr'ry" (indeed, often enough cut down to a 2 syllable "Febry")
Was Gilbert exagerating the word, does anyone know, for lyrical/poetic purposes, or did the Victorians - well, the posh ones - pronounce the word as he uses it?

#57004 02/15/02 03:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree with Rubick that sanctioning the rhyming of many with plenty and twenty is a gross injustice to the language. However, in instances of "off-rhyme", even the classic poets have be known to stretch it a bit in a pinch.
That being said, I propose, by venturing into sound linguitics, that even in the so-called "silent T" pronunication of those words that it is rather a "soft T" coming off the N. If you do a crisp T you'll see that the tongue clicks off the forward roof of your mouth toward or even on the upper teeth. But coming off the N in a "nt" pronunciation, the tongue instead jumps further back onto the roof of the mouth producing more of a roll than a click. I habitually use the "soft T" pronunciation for twenty and plenty and other "nt" words, but mentally I'm aware of pronouncing the T and still see it, and consider it present in those words. So, no, I would never consider sanctioning that as a valid rhyme.

#57005 02/15/02 03:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"The window is wide, I cain't git o'er..."

#57006 02/15/02 03:43 PM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I agree with Rubick that sanctioning the rhyming of many with plenty and twenty is a gross injustice to the language. However, in instances of "off-rhyme", even the classic poets have be known to stretch it a bit in a pinch.

Oh, I'm not implying at all that it shouldn't be used within a poetic context. Keiva's excellent example of ryhming paws with sauce is one such instance with which writers have cleverly manipulated words over the years. What I am 'moaning' about is that a reference book gives examples of such incorrect usage of words. Pairing twenty with many is akin to giving a false definition in a dictionary. IMHO.

#57007 02/15/02 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i dunno, (I Don'(t) know) ya wanna (you want to) find some exaples in everday speach?

yes, many times in the day, many and plenty rhhyme. if i make any effort at all, say i don't no.. but i hear, and saydunno, and wanna, and gunna (going to) and cooda, shooda, wooda, Way to often (offen!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 915 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith