Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#55168 02/04/02 05:14 AM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Thank you, Jackie and Keiva, for welcoming me and for the help and encouragement toward making a new post! Below, then, is the post I'd originally intended to make (but had mistakenly entered as a reply):
This lurker now ventures into daylight to ask: what is the history of the word "marijuana" ("marihuana")? A friend thinks "marijuana" was coined by Randolph Hearst (?!), which I doubt; my limited dictionaries say it's of American Spanish/Latin American origin, but also add "?" and give no history of the word's usage. Could someone tell me what the OED has to say about it? - Circumstances make it rather difficult for me to get to the library.

No packages, please! Only information! : )

Thank you,

Tsyganka

#55169 02/04/02 11:12 AM
old hand
old hand
wouldn't have a clue - but welcome aBoard Tsyganka!

stales

#55170 02/04/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OED2 says only [Amer. Sp.], but has this lovely citation as the first print usage:
1894 Scribner's Mag. May 596/2 [The] ‘toloachi’, [and] the ‘mariguan’,..are used by
discarded women for the purpose of wreaking a terrible revenge upon recreant lovers.

edit: toloachi is evidently some variety of nightshade(!)

#55171 02/04/02 03:46 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The Slang and Euphemism Dictionary, Richard Spears, says that "marijuana" is from the US underworld and drug culture of the 1900s, and gives about 200 synonyms.

Origins A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English, Eric Partridge, offers:

marijuana or marihuana: ASp mariguana, var marihauna: o.o.o. For mariguana, a "vulgar Mexican name for the common hemp" -- whence its A use -- Santamaria tentatively suggests origin in Mariguana, one of the islands forming the Bahamas.

FWIW - even the spelling was unsettled in Michigan courts as recently as 30 years ago. We've landed on marijuana.

#55172 02/04/02 03:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
one of the islands forming the Bahamas

~ the original reefer?

#55173 02/04/02 06:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
~ the original reefer?

No, mav...with you it's more like Reefer Madness! now that flick was considered "camp" back in the day, to cross the thread hairs

And other slang terms for marijuana: pot, weed, Mary Jane, smoke, grass...others I'm missing I'm sure, but, uh, I forget...

#55174 02/04/02 07:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And other slang terms for marijuana: pot, weed, Mary Jane, smoke, grass...others I'm missing I'm sure, but, uh, I forget...

Well, I wouldn't know from personal experience. No way. Much. But I see that all the dire predictions about using it destroying brains cells must be true ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#55175 02/04/02 08:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[green/blue]marijuana or marihuana: ASp[/green//blue]

I never inhaled.

#55176 02/04/02 08:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Michael Pollan, in Botany of Desire points out that forgetfullness is the key point of a marijuana high..

it is human natare to have vast portions of our brain on autopilot.. we learn something, and then if we need it, its saved.. but the experience fades.. (like in economic- no matter how good something.. we acquire it, and become satiated..)

with marijuana, everything is new again.. every experience takes on the fear, joy, excitement of a new experience... it is as if we have forgotten everything.. so the twill weave of our jeans becomes facinating.. and thing we have grown blase about.. are experienced, as if for the first time..

we have a child like wonder.. think of your favorite anything.. and think if you could experience it, as you did the first time.. get a marijuana high and you can..

and yes, long term, it can interfer with our abilities to form memories.. but every once in a while it nice to see the world through brand new eyes!
(not that i do it..or maybe i just can't remember doing it. )

#55177 02/04/02 08:41 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
with marijuana, everything is new again.. every experience takes on the fear, joy, excitement of a new experience...

He makes it sound like a real pleasant experience doesn't he...no mention of dry eyes, dry mouth and pass the Twinkies please. I don't think anybody is *excited* after smoking pot. Joy & excitement are not words associated with smoking pot - more like extremely relaxed, zoned-out, laid back or horny.

we have a child like wonder.. uh, no, we just can't focus enough on anything so our mind wanders around aimlessly.

I think this guy is laying it on a little thick. Seriously, you gotta call a spade a spade. I don't mind saying that I've smoked mari (our common French term) but I wouldn't say I had childlike wonder while doing it.

A child has wonder because it marvels at new things, it is inquisitive. Under the influence of pot you may be enjoying yourself but you are too nonchalant and laid back to be inquisitive.

forgetfullness is the key point that's right, you forget you just looked at that same twill of jeans, oh, say eight or twenty times now and where the hell you put the Twinkies.

Personnally, I think marijuana is no more/no less dangerous that alcohol and if people want to take it in moderation then they should be allowed to. But, that is the key to everything though, isn't it, moderation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith