Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
stranger
stranger
W
....and we produce quite a bit of the products that other countries use. When we're the biggest industrial producer and main provider in the world economy how can we be expected to fit into such strict guidelines...

The US is a big producer but it's a bigger consumer: the US has a net trade deficit - to the tune of c $30 billion a month. NB Europe is also a net consumer (deficit $72b for 2000).

Besides whether producer (I would take issue with provider) or consumer, both have their responsibilities. We can't just blame Bush or big business for pollution, the individual consumer has a large part to play. As consumers do we consider environmental impact?

If environmental damage was reflected in the price then it would: allow the market mechanism to affect consumer choice much more effectively than public education (the environment deserves more protection than optional consumer good will); raise revenues to clean up/research; and force firms to develop cleaner and more efficient practices to reduce the environmental tax sting (internalising externalities for any economists out there). [/wary of panaceas emoticon]

Rod ...the Amazon is not CO2 neutral...All it needs is a few more degrees and it will become a permanent source
Does this mean they will be the Lungs of the World again - literally .

Of course the principle of wwh's farts (not meant like that ) is not about whether the carbon will be released but whether it is released as methane or CO2. Methane is 20 times more effective at trapping radiation than CO2. As to the idiocy of the government's sheme I would be loathed to contest. I say close the door and when they're nice 'n' meaty drop in a match and have a barbie .

I'm done.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Just a quick note...

This is an rounded article on the issue:
http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=655664

Here's a report with the target CO2 outputs for 2012 (page 29). I read an article in Süddeutsche yesterday (which I can't find online) where some of these numbers and each countries current emissions were listed. The only 'Western' countries that have headed in the right direction are England and Germany. What are the others up to? These from memory...

Country . . . .Target (%of'92). . . Emissions '00

Australia . . . 108% . . . . . . . 115%
USA . . . . . . 92% .. . . . . . . 110%
Norway . . . . 100% . . . . . . . 120%!

http://www.unfccc.de/resource/docs/cop3/07a01.pdf

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
The UK has been partly featherbedded by the so-called dash to gas as fuel for feeding the power gen plants, but it is also fair to say there is widespread awareness and action on energy conservation (both by individuals and government). However painful to the rural economy, we have swallowed major tax rises on fuel for transport (ahead of inflation by leaps) for several years in succession, and this year have a tax on energy used by industry.

Dubya's America needs to think long and hard if it is not to be branded the dirty old man of the world, addicted to swilling energy like a foul old drunkard brown bagging it on the sidewalk. And this is from a friend

B
old hand
old hand
B
I went to a festival in Munich's Olympia Park last might and Green Peace had information booths and a caravan etc.
The main emphasis of there little exhibition was, you guessed it: global warming, climate change and the contributing greenhouse gases. This is mainly becuase the next conference is of course Bonn, Germany. I spoke to a bloke there, who told me that, in essence, Germany has done very little towards actively lowering emissions. You see, in 1992 when when the targets were set, the former-DDR still had many dirty brown-coal powerstations that were on the chopping block anyway; needless to say, it was a very sombering conversation.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
But maybe in the USA the penny’s dropping…?

Despite his first overseas trip as president and the passage of his sweeping measure to cut taxes, President Bush's standing as a leader on both domestic and foreign fronts has diminished considerably, the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll shows.
Far from giving him a political lift, Mr. Bush's European tour, though it drew largely upbeat news coverage, did not appear to help him in the eyes of the public. More than half of Americans say they are uneasy about Mr. Bush's ability to tackle an international crisis, and more people than not say he is not respected by other world leaders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/21/politics/21POLL.html?todaysheadlines

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 477 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith