Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29367 05/17/01 03:21 AM
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
It is a modest "rise", but recently I became a journeyman and to celebrate that I would like to start a thread that I hope will make us know each other a little more.
Most of us when we travel take along a bag, a briefcase,or a carry-on that we keep with us on the plane, or a train, or a bus and in it we usually have a book, and or a magazine, and a notebook of some sort.
If you have a bag like this what would be the book in it, and in the magazine, what article is your dog's ear on, in your notebook is their a phrase or a paragraph that you have penned in that you think is just so memorable or maybe so elegant that it is worth keeping.
Please update your entrees as the things in your valise change and if you have another gem added to your notebook.

chronist

#29368 05/17/01 04:11 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
f you have a bag like this what would be the book in it,

Congratulations, chronist, your descent down that well-intentioned highway is picking up steam. Depending on the length of the journey, the book in my bag would be either The Bible, The Lord of the Rings, or one of The Guide series. I never carry a notebook, as my writing looks "like the footprints of a spider that had
had one too many of whatever it is that spiders have on a night
out"

#29369 05/17/01 10:17 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I am never without a notebook, and much of it is linguistic: adjectives of "parallelepiped", first uses of "multiverse", original meaning of "dogsbody", etymology of "pony".

I'm terrified of its falling into the wrong hands, because at the moment it contains all the passwords for my secret alternative accounts on Internet forums.

#29370 05/17/01 10:19 AM
old hand
old hand
On my way out, I normally don't carry any book - while on the way back, I carry the one(s) I bought there because I fancy they are not available at home..

#29371 05/17/01 02:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a valise? a article of luggage one encounters in books!

I carry a a pocketbook for my wallet, tissues, pens, charge cards and other junk (including, always-- a flashlight, and a "leatherman" tool), and usually my Palm but if i am traveling-- i will also have a tote-- with NYTimes, and the current issues of the The Economist, and the New Yorker--and sometimes an other magazine.. If it is a vacation trip-- it will also have a novel-- something from best sellers list..(and more tissues, and a bottle of water) --and some other magazines-- maybe Scientific American or New York, or some other magazine that catches my fancy-- anything from Better Homes and Gardens to Wired.

If it's a long trip, my clothing will either be in a garment bag, or in my "rolling cart" (a carry on sized bag with built in wheels/handle) a business trip might include my laptop. Other wise it might be in a soft sided suitcase.

#29372 05/17/01 02:32 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well, Timely Time traveller, your "modest rise" is, it would seem, a suitable "case" for celebration!

My travelling bag, besides carrying necessary sustenance for the body (I'm too mean to pay train buffet prices - especially for beer!) will have a copy of the day's Guardian, the latest copy of Classic Car magazine (I used to take it every month, but since I became an impoverished academic, I only buy it for train or bus journeys.)
If I take a book, it will be a history book, from which I will be researching my latest set of lectures. But it is much more likely that I will have a pile of scripts to mark: I find the train is one of the best places of all for marking, because no-one interrupts me.

#29373 05/17/01 03:23 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Man, how often do you guys travel? I find that I only make substantial trips (long enough to need reading material) maybe twice per year. And it's either by car or by plane. There are no trains in Newfoundland. As for the rest of Canada, train service isn't much used, because it's expensive and slow. There is a lot of space between cities here!

I always buy myself a "junk" magazine, since I travel so rarely. It's kind of a treat for the trip. Usually something like Cosmopolitan. Then my husband and I read the quizzes out loud in the car and make fun of them. Quite a riot! ("Are you too stuck-up?" or "Do you know how to keep secrets?" or "What kind of man is the right one for you?") And I always get my books from the library, since they are awfully expensive, and I am just a student.

As my carry-on luggage on the plane, I would carry my a "knapsack" or my new cute little soft-sided briefcase called a "carry-all" (I don't really like that word) .

#29374 05/17/01 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I carry a spare pair of knickers, in case they lose my luggage.

#29375 05/17/01 04:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Let's see ... my purse has wallet, small cosmetics bag for things like a comb, nail file, a few safety pins and a very tiny Swiss Army thingie, gloves, passport, boarding pass a real fabric handkerchief, etc.
For long trips by car or plane (I get seasick ) I carry my old fashioned "cosmetic case" which holds prescription drugs, hair stuff in travel sizes, dentifrices, soft slippers that can double as evening slippers, nightgown, a cotton caftan that folds into nothing, one extra pair stockings, one pair Tilley briefs, one of Tilley's dressy outfits which doesn't wrinkle and folds into no-space-at-all, several silk scarfs and a bathing suit. I also wear a tailored Tilley outfit and my never-leave-home-without-it Tilley hat. Should my checked luggage be delayed I can "do and go" for a long time with just what's in the case and what I'm wearing.
I usually buy a paperback book in the airport, generally a shortish mystery story or a collection of short stories.
My travel-life was simplified greatly when I discovered Tilley's!
http://www.tilley.com

#29376 05/17/01 05:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't like to bring a lot of luggage anywhere, which works out fine as long as i'm going someplace tropical. my carryon always contains a puzzle book and a pen (hi, F-babe!), whatever novel i'm reading at the time (for my trip last weekend it was Guns Germs & Steel and Professor & The Madman, which i left too close to the rising tide while i took off on a wakeboarding expedition, so it's now two inches thick and showing signs of mold ), a spare bikini in case my luggage is lost (i guess that's kinda like Anna's knickers), a box of altoids (which i compulsively chew) and a pack of gum (which i NEVER chew, b/c i think it makes people look like cows, but i use it if i can't clear my ears during takeoffs and landings). i don't carry a purse at all; i just have a little tiny zippered pouch that's attached to my keys where i keep cash, my driver's license, ATM card and a credit card or two (at the moment these are all lost, since my sons enjoy playing with my keys) and a tube of lip gloss.

i always bring a journal to record memories of my trip, mostly the things that made me laugh, or a sketch or two of a scene i don't want to forget.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 642 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith