Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#200850 06/29/11 03:52 PM
OP Offline
so...we were looking for a phrase that would mean 'the truth always changes' to make a funny 'motto shirt' for a class I was taking.
veritas semper mutabilis?
but need the correct grammar and word order.
yes, IHLIU and asked on other forums and gotten no response, so I know that some of you have strong Latin backgrounds and may be able to help. Please.

Last edited by va-vavoom; 06/29/11 04:00 PM.

~===,===,=^=<
va-vavoom #200860 06/30/11 12:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Word order can be pretty flexible in Latin, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The veritas semper part is right on. Lemme check the change part. I think I'd go with veritas semper mutat. Mutabilis is an adjective. You might could go with semper mutabilis est veritas or even veritas semper mutabilis est. I could run it past some folks I know who are more conversant with Latin or someone else here might add some helpful comments.

Faldage #200864 06/30/11 02:22 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
"Veritas semper mutat"
Apparently Lewis Carrol came up with his name by latinising his original name. I was wondering whether the above line could be acronymised (yikes sorry) into a pseudonym.
I guess it is "new game season" on awadtalk.

Faldage #200867 06/30/11 03:10 AM
OP Offline
mutat mutabilis
that's the part that was giving me the most trouble. I think most people recognize veritas. Growing up as a 'service brat' Semper Fidelis was part of every day life. I thought the change portion would be similar to the fidelis.
Never having had Latin in any way, shape or form I couldn't figure out the parts of speech stuff. Thank you.

~===,===,=^=<
va-vavoom #200870 06/30/11 10:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The fidelis in semper fidelis is also an adjective. Just my own taste but I kinda like Semper mutat veritas.

Faldage #200874 06/30/11 03:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And there you have it VV, I am glad you decided to bring it up.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Faldage #200876 06/30/11 03:46 PM
OP Offline
veritas semper mutat
Semper mutat veritas

The word order doesn't make a difference? in trying to figure out mottos, etc. in genealogy and military histories even when I recognized the words, the order didn't always make sense to me. But, as I said, I never studied Latin so just kind of accepted that it was nothing like English.

~===,===,=^=<
va-vavoom #200877 06/30/11 03:55 PM
OP Offline
Maybe it would make a difference if I explained the factors behind the request.
Specifically this was a class in Maritime Law where every time something was enforced as 'this is the way it is, the ONLY way it is' something would come up and 'the truth changed'.

~===,===,=^=<
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The word order doesn't make a difference? in trying to figure out mottos, etc. in genealogy and military histories even when I recognized the words, the order didn't always make sense to me.

It's sometimes a little difficult for speakers of languages with a relatively fixed word order to understand or believe that word order is not as important in inflectional languages such as Sanskrit or Latin. Basically word order (e.g., in English) is used to show the syntactic relationship between the verb and its subject and/or object(s). Latin has case endings that reflect what the exact relationship between a finite verb (mutat) and its subject (veritas) is. The noun veritas is in the nominative case (which is usually used for subjects). So, veritas mutat or mutat veritas can only mean "(the) truth changes". Change the case to the accusative, veritatem mutat (or mutat veritatem), and the whole sentence changes: "S/He changes (the) truth". It's gets to be even more fun when you throw in words like semper (an adverb) or adjectives which modify the noun. Take for example, the title of a famous poem by Lucretius, De rerum natura, literally "about" + "of-things" + "(the) nature", meaning when you put it together, "about the nature of things". The preposition (de) and the noun it goes with (natura) get split apart by another noun (natura). (This is why I always chuckle when people maintain that you cannot split infinitives in English because you cannot in Latin; first, infinitives in English a prepositional phrases, but not in Latin, and moreover, Latin loves to split prepositional phrases.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's a Latin poem which contains the line militis in galea meaning, literally, 'of the soldier - in - helmet' or, more colloquially, in the soldier's helmet. In this case the preposition is stuck between the two nouns that we would think would go together. In Latin you can put the words in whatever order to represent the importance of a given word to your thought or, in the case of poetry, to make a more mellifluous sound.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 608 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith