Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#27881 05/01/01 07:50 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Nicknames are not necessarily childish. Shakespeare has lots. From King Henry IV (both his parts) we have Hal for Henry. Then there is somewhere, I forget where, Noddy for Edward.

Besides Shakespeare, Edward is also parent of Ed, Ned, Ted (also short for Theodore), and some of these have their own versions, like Eddie, Neddie, etc.

Charles has Charlie, Chuck, Chaz. Robert (I should know as in my family the first male for 4 generations now has that name and they have to have a different appellation to avoid confusion) reduces to Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robbie, occasionally Robin but that's really a different name.

Baltimore is famous for short nicknames. The ideal is a name of one syllable. My father-in-law, Elmer, was known as 'El' or 'Elm', for instance. My wife's godmother, named Ada (can't get much shorter than that) was called 'Ades' (this was before AIDS). Wierdly, if you have a one-syllable name, it gets longer as a nickname, as Ruth and Joyce become Ruthie and Joycie.

#27882 05/01/01 09:55 PM
F
addict
addict
F
To further confuse the situation, I just wanted to bring up what for lack of a better term I will call "descending nicknames". For example, to distinguish David Smith, Jr. from his father around the house he will often be called "D.J." or, more rarely "Chip" (as in chip off the old block - Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves is an example of this, I believe). D.J.'s son David might be referred to as "Tres" or "Trey" (as in French for three - Trey Anastasio from the band Phish is one of these, I understand). Anyone know of others?

Now my situation, though it may not be interesting to you, is sort of quirky. My father is the first, and takes no suffix to his name. I generally go as "Jr.", but only when it is neccessary to distinguish myself from him. The tricky bit is my cousin, who is older than I and shares the exact same name as my father and I. How does he distinguish himself from my Dad? As my father's family is not particularly close, it's never really been an issue, but it often nags at me.

Oh, and what about people who go around calling themselves Thurson Howell II (the second)? It that just pretentious or is there some genealogical reason for it?

David Provost II

#27883 05/01/01 10:21 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Your post gives me the opportunity to practice posting links to other posts, a skill I have yet to master.
Here is a link that will, I hope, provide my contribution to this thread.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=9812

#27884 05/02/01 05:27 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
As I live in Israel, I can at least comment about Yaakov = Jacob, Yaakov is a very common name in Israel, because it's
of it's biblical origins, I know it's translated into Jacob
in the new testament, and most Israelis named "Yaakov" living abroad use the name "Jacob", but what is interesting is the common appearances of "Jacobs" which has on translation back to Hebrew, at least...

#27885 05/02/01 02:39 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well, my etiquette books are at home, so I hope my memory serves:

Senior and Junior designations properly apply to a parent and child with identical names, and only while both are still living. Upon the death of one, the need for and appropriateness of addressing one as a senior or junior also dies.

First, second, third, fourth designations apply to multiple people with the same names, but not necessarily in direct lines of descent, and the numbers are assigned by birth order. In Flatlander's case, it seems that his father is Eustice John Flatlander I, his cousin is Eustice John Flatlander II, and he is Eustice John Flatlander III. As I recall (and I am not sure on this, and will have to check), the I/II/III designations do not change with the death of any in the line.

#27886 05/02/01 03:35 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Sr,Jr,II,III, etc.
Sparteye is pretty much correct. Sr. and Jr. are father and son, Thurston Howell II would have the same name as another progenitor, usually an uncle, and III, IV, etc. follow Jr. So John Howell Sr. (who has a brother Thurston) has 2 sons, John Howell Jr. and Thurston Howell II; John Jr. has a son John Howell III, etc. As to whether Sr. or Jr. is dropped when both are no longer living, this depends on the individuals. I have known men who were Jrs. who dropped it when their father died, and have known others who have kept it, usually for professional reasons or because they have been known by that name so long they perceive a problem with dropping the Jr.

This brings up an interesting and vaguely-related subject, that of women's married names. The usual practice of a woman taking her husband's name on marriage had, traditionally, some complicated rules in etiquette, if not in law. It was formerly de rigueure to refer formally to Mary Jones, nee Doe, as Mrs. John Jones, even when she became a widow; friends could, of course, refer to her as Mary Jones, but referring to her as Mrs. Mary Jones was not considered correct. If she were divorced, however, there was a convention, not much adopted, to use the name Mrs. Doe Jones (her maiden name and husband's name).

Nowadays, there is the hyphenation system which was taken, probably, from England where it had special usages in regard to inheritances, I believe. So when John Jones marries Mary Doe, she may become Mary Doe-Jones. If John is a liberated male, he may also change his name so they both have the same name and they become John and Mary Doe-Jones. Their children usually don't take this name, however, but take the father's name. (Imagine if Algernon Doe-Jones married Maryellen Stephenson-Katzenellenbogen-- would they become Algernon and Maryellen Doe-Jones-Stephenson-Katzenellebogen?) Where would this end?

Then there is a growing tendency for women to retain their maiden names after marriage, so you have John Smith and Mary Jones as a married couple, with little Freddie and Suzie Smith. I remarked to my wife (a Registered Nurse) once that there seemed to be an unusual number of couples in our church who kept their own names and mentioned some instances. She recognized the fact that the women were physicians and explained that a physician is forbidden by law to change his/her name. Whatever name you have when you receive your MD diploma and license, you have to keep, even in the case of a woman who marries subsequently. Worse is the situation of a woman who was married and using her husband's name at the time she qualified and later is divorced -- she has to keep her former husband's name, even if she remarries.

#27887 05/02/01 09:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
. Their children usually don't take this name, however, but take the father's name. (Imagine if Algernon Doe-Jones married Maryellen Stephenson-Katzenellenbogen-- would they become Algernon and Maryellen Doe-Jones-Stephenson-Katzenellebogen?)

the children primarily take the father's name in these cases? really? i'm not sure i've seen any married couples hyphenate their own names then grant but one of them to their children. in fact, in the cases of hyphenization i've seen, it's the children who take the hyphenated name, regardless of whether the parents themselves retain just their name or add their spouse's (BTW, does anyone know the norm as far as whose name goes first?).

so just think, in the case you cite above if neither of the parents chose to hyphenate but they wanted to give their children the honor of both names, you'd have to address your christmas cards to Doe-Jones, Stephenson-Katzenellenbogen and Doe-Jones-Stephenson-Katzenellebogen

hi M

#27888 05/02/01 09:46 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Then there is a growing tendency for women to retain their maiden names after marriage, so you have John Smith and Mary Jones as a married couple, with little Freddie and Suzie Smith. I remarked to my wife (a Registered Nurse) once that there seemed to be an unusual number of couples in our church who kept their own names and mentioned some instances. She recognized the fact that the women were physicians and explained that a physician is forbidden by law to change his/her name.

There was an intersting case hee a couple of years ago involving difficulties with changing one's surname. A man who had brothers married a woman who had none. The man decided to change his surname so that her family name could be continued. All appeared to be fine until the groom applied for a passport and discovered that NZ's Internal Affairs dept, the issuer of passports could not recognise his name change, as the legislation made no allowance for a man's adopting his wife's surname.

#27889 05/03/01 09:35 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
This thread has covered all sorts of name changes, many of which are due to phonetic alteration or language borrowing over the course of time.

However, the original question is about quite a different thing. There is no phonetic or cross-language aspect to the alteration of initial consonants. This is an odd method of making nicknames that was quite prevalent in Middle English. (I haven't any explanation for it.) Some of these no longer exist except in surnames (ending in -s or -son, e.g. Hicks, Hobson), but to repeat those already mentioned and add a few more:

Richard = Dick = Hick
Roger = Hodge
Robert = Bob = Hob
William = Bill
Margaret = Peg = Poll
Helen = Nell
Oliver = Noll
Edward = Ned = Ted

Three odd things are that the H alternants have all disappeared; and that not all common names got these forms; and that you couldn't just ring the changes on them: I don't think William ever got called Hill, Nill, Dill, or Pill.

#27890 05/03/01 02:51 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
name changes
Interesting that in NZ one should be unable to make a desired name change. I am familiar with the English term 'deed poll', a formal application to do so, but my understanding of U.S. law is that anyone may change his/her name at any time without any formal legal process provided it is not done with the intent to defraud someone.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,369
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 874 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith