Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#197372 02/14/11 07:51 PM
bexter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Sorry it has taken so long t put the results up! crazy I have been away from my computer for a while ill...here are the results...it was fun to follow the comments toozle begat and I hope you enjoy its true meaning!

A toozle – the screw that holds together the two blades of a pair of scissors [Avy] BranShea

B toozle – in Scotland, with golf, when a tee-off goes awry [LukeJavan8] Owlbow

C toozle – to pull about, especially applied to any rough dalliance with a female [True definition – Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary 1898-1905] Jackie

D toozle – n., [< Hung. ducel, leaf] a confetti particle with multiple bends applied to induce spinning as it falls [Aramis] Avy, LukeJavan8

E toozle – to muss up playfully (var. of tousle) [wofahulicodoc]

F toozle – a South African drink made of fermented rooibos, (rooibosch), tea and local herbs [Owlbow]

G toozle – Toozle Sticks are small sticks, commonly made of plastic, used to stir mixed drinks or garnish cocktails. The pointed end is designed to skewer fruit and the decorative heads are shaped like palm trees, flamingos and tropical fruits. The toozle portion of the toozle stick name originated from the Caribbean cocktail, Rum Toozle [Candy]

H toozle – a small Scottish fipple flute, similar to a penny whistle but usually made of wood [Faldage] twosleepy

I toozle – a blacksmith tool used to spread hot coals [Jackie] Buffalo Shrdlu, wofahulicodoc, olly

J toozle - vb to persuade someone to do something illegal; n a fraudful deal [BranShea] Faldage

K too-zle – v. 1. To dishevel or disarrange, as with hair. Variant of "tousle" [OE] [twosleepy]

L toozle – a blend of too and puzzle, meaning: confuse someone again (and again), usually causing even more confusion [elifit] Candy

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
bexter #197375 02/14/11 08:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, there are two(2) issues here which can't be just glossed over; (1) E and K being virtually identical (K actually getting a vote), and (2) this definition from Century Dictionary: A dialectal variant of tousle, and 'to pull about roughly' from other old dictionaries.

actually, these two are intertwined, aren't they?!
______

we do have guidelines for both of these situations: in the case of (nearly) duplicate entries, simply reject the second, asking for a retry from that person (or you could reject them both, if you don't want to give someone a slight advantage); in the case of a daffynition which approximates the actual, see rules 4 & 5:
4. [no] points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning [rather, the moderator shall request a resubmittal]
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game :-Þ )

Last edited by tsuwm; 02/14/11 08:43 PM.
bexter #197376 02/14/11 08:47 PM
addict
addict
Three takers and the correct answer! Jackie is awesome, besides the obvious. I was giving it one more day to ponder then missed voting. No idea what fipple is about but was going with H; sorry Fal.

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
tsuwm #197377 02/14/11 08:51 PM
bexter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, in the dictionary in which I found the word the variant of tousle did not appear. It had a connection to the word
touzly - ruffled, shaggy
So I felt happy at letting tousle in...as for the almost duplicates, I felt them sufficiently different and received them so close together that I thought that I would let them stand.
I went with what I found in my dictionary and so find that the daffys and the actual meaning were non-overlapping and I stand by my decision.
smile smirk

p.s. sorry for not reminding everyone about voting! What with feeling under the weather I plain forgot! woops! crazy Sorry Aramis!

Last edited by bexter; 02/14/11 08:53 PM. Reason: post script

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
bexter #197380 02/14/11 09:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I see that I misinterpreted the results; i.e., neither E nor K got a vote (which is as expected, with both being marked variant of tousle). blush oops.
____

also, the last remark under the roolz: scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster® [see latest round, e.g.]. whinging to the hogmaster, while encouraged, has been shown to be completely ineffectual, has been ably demonstrated.

grin

bexter #197381 02/15/11 02:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think you had an excellent word which encouraged
quite a variety of daffynitions. Great going, bex.
Hope you are feeling better.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

C toozle – to pull about, especially applied to any rough dalliance with a female [True definition – Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary 1898-1905] Jackie

CONGRATULATIONS, JACKIE.

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
So I get no points for getting a right answer? Doesn't seem fair...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
So I get no points for getting a right answer? Doesn't seem fair...

that's correct. the idea is to *guess* the correct def'n, from those submitted; not to *submit* the a right answer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I cannot accept kudos for Hubby's definition; he, however, is highly pleased! And I thank you for not disqualifying a sub.

When I told him the real def., he said, "A toozle with a floozle". smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith