About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Most store and business owners do not make their politics and religion known because they do not want to offend and alienate their customers.

Many business owners value their business dearer than their religion.

Quote:
My guess is that Anu does not care if he offends people who are religious.

My guess is Anu does not want to offend anyone, but does not value his business dearer than his faith.

I have no religion but I have faith,
I do not worship but I am a believer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Quote:
Most store and business owners do not make their politics and religion known because they do not want to offend and alienate their customers.

Many business owners value their business dearer than their religion.

Quote:
My guess is that Anu does not care if he offends people who are religious.

My guess is Anu does not want to offend anyone, but does not value his business dearer than his faith.

I have no religion but I have faith,
I do not worship but I am a believer.

well said.

formerly known as etaoin...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It is about 'the words'.
But words express ideas...and Anu was just reflecting on his opinion, just like we can all state ours here or by emailing him. Its called Freedom of Speech. And thank God we are aloud that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and some are louder than others.

:¬ )

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And there can be a huge difference between religion
and spirituality. Anu surely got a response on his
choices this week. Great going, Anu!

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
perhaps there was some planning behind the sequencing of this week's words?

I think coming up with weekly topics must get to be a chore (yes, I've tried it on occasion). sometimes Anu's choices seem a bit contrived, or obvious (e.g., words starting with ex-, or verbs); but at other times they are inspired.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There certainly is a coherence between this week's words sofar.
And some are tempting. ( remonstrate )

We had our own private little civil war in 1617, which was between the Remonstrants and the Contra-remonstrants, two factions within the Reformed Church, while we were in a short period of armistice with the Spanish against whom we were fighting for political freedom. ( 80-year's war) This silly if not absurd civil war, which was over a theological trifle, cost the head of a truly wise and good old statesman. Religion and war often seem like sister and brother.

S
Sldgman Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted By: Candy
It is about 'the words'.
But words express ideas...and Anu was just reflecting on his opinion, just like we can all state ours here or by emailing him. Its called Freedom of Speech. And thank God we are aloud that.

When I signed up for the daily e-mail, I did not think I would be getting biased, anti-religion sniping in the deal. I think I will find some place else to learn about words.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was told when I joined that there was a sort of
"agreement" to never discuss religion and politics.
Guess that has changed, at least this week.

----please, draw me a sheep----
addict
addict
I don't think he was being
Originally Posted By: Sldgman
anti-religion
he was merely giving his view point. I imagine people who do not believe in religion may get annoyed if he had gone to the other extreme...he was expressing his own personal opinion, you are free to judge that how you wish, he was not trying to force you to believe what he does.

I have strong beliefs about Science Fiction and how people have completely the wrong idea about what it is and how they refuse to accept that whatever they are watching/reading is, infact, SF. I vocalise these beliefs and some disagree with me, which is fine, but none of them never talk to me again because that is what I believe...they are entitled to their opinion and I to mine. Anu was not forcing his beliefs into your head, he was merely stating his beliefs as you have done here. That should be OK and as Voltaire said 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'

I believe that it is the topic itself which becomes offensive - if it were a statement about how the media blows things out of all proportion and so should not be believed but you thought the opposite, it is unlikely that you would take offense. You are allowed to believe what you like and obviously feel strongly about certain things, but think about how it would be if you wrote something in which you believed and others became offended and outraged at something you thought not offensive at all? To take such offense at another's beliefs is intolerant and in my (rather limited) experience, tolerant is something that people tend to enjoy being. You are entitled to be upset about things but that is no reason to abandon something so brilliant as AWAD. I am sure Anu did not write it to annoy or offend you but to explain his viewpoint with which you may or may not agree. Accept his view and accept that you both disagree...maybe an interesting discussion will follow, maybe it will never be mentioned again...

To end, another Voltaire quote 'I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write'

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 1,259 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith